First and foremost, what are you?

Quintus

A film music enthusiast, or a John Williams fan.  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you?

• A film music enthusiast
    • A John Williams fan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 99 percent of film music is crap, I'll say a John Williams Fan. Although I have lots of other great film composers I listen to, they do not represent film music. They represent great music. I'm not an enthusiast about any particular "use" of music, such as for film or concert stage, rather I'm a fan of different composers' work, and JW is the only one of the choices here.

NOT a film music fan, but

a JW Fan

a Mussourgsky Fan

a Copland Fan

an Elfman Fan

a Goldsmith Fan

a Takemitsu Fan

a Honnegger Fan

a Herrmann Fan

etc.

These are all people who transcended the mundane with their art

I love both film music and classical music, but it's all due to John Williams and he remains my favorite composer. I still have more of his CDs than anyone else by far. So, I voted myself as a John Williams fan.

I voted as a film music enthusiast, although I had to think about it for a few seconds before doing so.

Williams was my entry-point into the world of film music, 'round about 1980 when my mom bought be a vinyl of the Imperial March. My memory wants me to believe that in terms of film music, Williams was all that I listened to for years, but if I scrape at it a bit, I find that that isn't the case at all. I also had a vinyl of Queen's Flash Gordon theme, as well as The Muppets Take Manhattan. A few years after that, in addition to Williams cassettes like Star Wars and Superman and Jaws and so forth, I'd also gotten several Bond tapes, and 2001 and Star Trek II. I rarely had much money to indulge my taste for this type of thing, so it was a limited collection -- but even so, it was obviously not limited to Williams. I'd just buy whatever I loved that I had the money for.

Today, I have way more Williams CDs than I have by any other composer. That's because I like his music more. But there are other composers whose work I like well enough to buy all of their CDs -- I just don't have the money to follow through on that desire.

I chose "a film music enthusiast" without a second's hesitation (making it 12 against 11).

E.T. was my very fist score (on LP back then), John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy was my first CD and I have played its first track to inaugurate each new CD-compatible machine ever since, and I still love his music, but film music does not start and end with John Williams-- unless you are a John Williams fanatic.

I am sure Williams would be the first to find it ridiculously narrow-minded to consider him the only composer worth listening to-- and this goes for any favorite composer (Goldsmith in my case, with Williams extremely close).

Prefering one composer, and even listening mostly to his music, is normal; shutting out everything else on the grounds that "he is the only one ever" is a pitiful waste of spledndid opportunities to listen to music just as good (gasp!) as Williams'.

That's why I usually avoid using "fan".

I'd say I'm a film music enthusiast, as I regularly buy film scores by other composers, and will continue to do so after Williams is no longer composing. But his music got me into it and he's still my favorite, though these days not always the most enjoyable.

I think some people think the word 'fan' in negative (over fanatic). At last what I see in spain when that same word is used doesnt mean anything negative (appart that you can be called nerd...) Even if its a diminutive of fanatic, i think the word fan has lost most if its fanatism meaning and now its just a short word to define that you like something very much.

I mean, i'm a John Williams fan, not a JW hooligan.

When I read the word enthusiast to define film scores fans, or similar things, i sometimes think pedantic and elitist trying to use a more regal-distintive word for the same thing :(.

I'd say I'm a film music enthusiast, as I regularly buy film scores by other composers, and will continue to do so after Williams is no longer composing. But his music got me into it and he's still my favorite, though these days not always the most enjoyable.

To those who (totally unsurprisingly and predictably) answered "a Jerry Goldsmith fan", go to the top of the page. See the poll right there? The two choice poll? Be a sport and pick an option. Jerry Goldsmith doesn't figure in any of the options, so if you don't want to default to the JW option, pick the first option instead :lol:

Whatever you say... hey there is nothing stopping you from making your own poll and adding your maestro. Until this place changes it's name to JGFan.com, he won't be getting an option in this particular poll. Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to cater for your needs.

Anyway on another subject: is this places really slow for anyone lately? The board's loading times have been really inconsistent for over a week now. Most of the time it can take a good while to refresh etc.

I have tons of non-JW scores to listen to (pre- Zimmer/MV/RCP era) .Over 100 Goldsmith,over 50 Barry and 60 Horner ,and about 100 other film composers . Just want to make it clear I don't "only care" about JW .

But JW is the only composer I obsess about getting complete scores and know in depth every cue of certain scores.

I had to think about this for a while. JW is EASILY my favorite composer, the most enjoyable to listen to, and I eventually plan on owning every single officially released JW score. But in the end I voted for film music enthusiast, as there's just too much good stuff out there to close the doors on everything that doesn't have Johnny's name attatched.

Voting 'Film score entushiast' while being a Composer fan is lying.

This poll has been made to see how many of the members are mindless John Williams fans. If you are a mindless other composer fan you really are not a 'neutral' Film score entusiast.

Voting 'Film score entushiast' while being a Composer fan is lying.

This poll has been made to see how many of the members are mindless John Williams fans. If you are a mindless other composer fan you really are not a 'neutral' Film score entusiast.

You are incorrect.

Is Quint trying to start JWFan War I?

I think you can be both at the same time - primarily liking Williams' music is natural - I primarily like JNH - but also to appreciate the rest of the film score scene. But can anyone be truly 'mindless' that they are so attached to one composer that they don't feel any emotion or attachment to anyone else's music? I doubt even the true fanboys on this board could say that's true for them.

I think it's particularly relevant when remembering the emotion vs technical discussion from KotCS, that Williams' music is probably the most technically and orchestrationally complex music around and fitting the film like a glove, but not always managing to make that emotional connection just as music. I believe you don't need the world's greatest 'technical' skills to produce emotional and fitting music.

You can have a favorite but still appreciate the overall picture more.

I still watch the Superbowl even if my team doesn't make it because I'm a football fan.

I would say that anyone who likes only one artist -- in any medium -- is in need of serious help. (Not that I see any evidence of that around here; I don't, I'm just saying it for the sake of saying it.)

I think the evidence that certainly I refer to is not people directly saying 'I only like Williams', the 'if only Williams had scored it' statement applied to absolutely everything. The man's good, but he can't score every film ever made. That seems to disappoint people more than seems natural.

John Williams fan. I do like other film music too, of course, but 99% of it is pure hack, not deserving the title "music" nor their creators "composers".

That's exactly the kind of statement I'm talking about. Yes, there's a lot of rubbish out there, but 99%? Not deserving the title 'music'? That's the kind of opinion I don't believe for a moment that you genuinely have if you really considered what you liked about film music.

I would say that anyone who likes only one artist -- in any medium -- is in need of serious help. (Not that I see any evidence of that around here; I don't, I'm just saying it for the sake of saying it.)

KM is this way, he is strictly a JW fan, I believe, and he doesn't even like movies.

I selected "Film Music Fan." Williams is top two easily--probably no. 1--but I love a lot of other film music by composers like Broughton, Goldsmith, Horner, Elfman, and others.

Anyway on another subject: is this places really slow for anyone lately? The board's loading times have been really inconsistent for over a week now. Most of the time it can take a good while to refresh etc.

This is true.