Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh,the alternate Binary Sunset alternate is amazing .I think it sounds like Ben Garner's Boat aka Night Search in Jaws

It also sounds like it could have come from RAIDERS. Possibly an alternate Ark motif. I can understand why they rescored it, and the film version is stunning, but both as a historical curiousity and a musical piece, it's fantastic.

I think the mix from "The Warehouse" to "End Credits" sounds just fine to me.

Technically it's a fine edit. Musically it doesn't work. You miss the opening of "The Raiders March".

Neil

Technically it's a fine edit. Musically it doesn't work. You miss the opening of "The Raiders March".

Neil

That's just your opinion, not a fact.

Neil

It's a dynamics problem. The final note of "Washington Ending" is just so loud and reverberating it's hard to hear the rhythm of "The Raiders March" kicking in. That's my only gripe with it.

Neil

But you have a clean opening to the Raiders March when you listen to the short version, like how the DCC album starts

That doesn't matter. It should always have a clean opening. Cutting off the opening of it and coming into "The Raiders March" in the middle of it doesn't sound good. Maybe that's why it was changed in the movie.

Neil

Alarm!: Oh my. This barely matches the film at all. About 23 seconds in it matches the film, but if you rewind 23 seconds in the film from that point, you're at the end of the scene with Donovan when he says "Germany has declared war on the Jones boys".... but the beginning of this clip clearly doesn't match that...... either scenes were shuffled around in the final film, or maybe that grand statement of the Nazi Theme was recorded as an insert and added in later? I HOPE NOT! (by the way, the cue is 3:05 in the film and 3:06 on the Concord...)

Again, due to the nature of the scene, it's very likely Williams scored a different edit of the sequence. Notice how this scene uses the technique of parallel editing (a Lucas signature) in the final film: it could very well be that the scene where Donovan receives the dispatch and then say "Germany has declared war on the Jones boys!" was originally placed in a different spot, while the "Floor's on fire!" scene played continuously.

If you listen to the "Alarm!" rear channel rip, you can notice several edits through it.

Let me see if I can get this straight...

There are 3 basic variations for the segue between "Washington Ending" and "End Credits"...

1. Completely separate cues

2. The awkwardly edited film version

3. The apparently John Williams-intended "last note of WE blends into first note of EC" version (i.e., a cleaner, smoother version of the awkward film edit)

That sound about right?

Do we need a poll to determine which one is correct?

:beerchug:

There is no right or wrong, there's preference and opinion.

Unless a future box set has liners describing William's intentions.

There is no right or wrong, there's preference and opinion.

Unless a future box set has liners describing William's intentions.

I know, I was just throwing in some funny business to alleviate the negativity. :beerchug:

Kudos to jwb for sharing and bringing some definite positive excitement!

Just listened to the 192k samples... dear Lord, they do sound spectacular!

There's a problem with Crusade though, but it's all because of the damn bootleg. I got used to the "high speed" of it, and now the correct speed sounds kind of weird to me... :beerchug:

oh,the alternate Binary Sunset alternate is amazing .I think it sounds like Ben Garner's Boat aka Night Search in Jaws

Anybody know why there's about 3 minutes of dead silence between "Binary Sunset Alternate" and "Main Title Archive?"

Anybody know why there's about 3 minutes of dead silence between "Binary Sunset Alternate" and "Main Title Archive?"

Deliberate creative decision.

My favorite three minutes in the film. We had to wait 20 years before they finally became available on CD.

Call it what you will, it's still dumb.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but here goes.

Let's say you didn't want to edit Marcus is Captured/To Berlin. Where would you insert it into the album?

Also, is there any reason to not switch Alarm! and Scherzo? It seems odd that the albums are mostly chronological except for that very obvious exception.

And finally, what exactly is edited out of Desert Chase? I have the DCC so it's not a big deal. I was just wondering if anyone knew exactly what was missing.

Thanks! I've enjoyed lurking around for the past months and thought I'd speak up for once!

There's a problem with Crusade though, but it's all because of the damn bootleg. I got used to the "high speed" of it, and now the correct speed sounds kind of weird to me... :unsure:

That's ok. You can speed the tracks up to whatever speed you want. :)

I use Goldwave. :cool:

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but here goes.

Let's say you didn't want to edit Marcus is Captured/To Berlin. Where would you insert it into the album?

Also, is there any reason to not switch Alarm! and Scherzo? It seems odd that the albums are mostly chronological except for that very obvious exception.

And finally, what exactly is edited out of Desert Chase? I have the DCC so it's not a big deal. I was just wondering if anyone knew exactly what was missing.

Thanks! I've enjoyed lurking around for the past months and thought I'd speak up for once!

1 Up to you. Either before "The Austrian Way" or before "The Blimp"

2 No, there is no reason. They screwed up.

3 Two (or is it 3?) separate chunks towards the end of the cue. The DCC is better.

4 Welcome!

There's a problem with Crusade though, but it's all because of the damn bootleg. I got used to the "high speed" of it, and now the correct speed sounds kind of weird to me... :unsure:

That's ok. You can speed the tracks up to whatever speed you want. :)

I use Goldwave. :cool:

I severely doubt anyone would want to do that. I think it was far more a comment on the sound of the bootleg rather than any real desire to have the music play at a different speed.

I severely doubt anyone would want to do that. I think it was far more a comment on the sound of the bootleg rather than any real desire to have the music play at a different speed.

I do it. R2 DVDs play the music at a faster pace than R1 DVDs (apparantly), I and I like my scores to match the films. :cool:

By the way, whilst we're on the subject of Crusade, does anyone else think that 'Blimp' sounds a bit silly? I think Zeppelin sounds better personally. Anyone agree? :unsure:

So was the move that coined the term.

I do it. R2 DVDs play the music at a faster pace than R1 DVDs (apparantly), I and I like my scores to match the films. :cool:

It does. Your DVDs are flawed. See a movie in the theater (where it was meant to be seen, after all) and you'll realize that the sound on CD is correct.

By the way, whilst we're on the subject of Crusade, does anyone else think that 'Blimp' sounds a bit silly? I think Zeppelin sounds better personally. Anyone agree? :unsure:

Especially since it's shown to have a rigid frame.

But then of course the Hindenburg disaster was in 1937......

Neil

Um you do realize there's different takes of Main Title / Rebel Blockade on that track don't you?

Five, actually, if I'm not mistaken.

That was the expanded version in the Sony Re-re-release: the only, great upgrade from the previous releases of SW SE scores.

That was the expanded version in the Sony Re-re-release: the only, great upgrade from the previous releases of SW SE scores.

Um no it's on the RCA set too.

Um no it's on the RCA set too.

Hey, it was a joke!

Maybe for my bad English or absence of emoticons....but how can you take seriously an "expanded version" of silence?????

It does. Your DVDs are flawed. See a movie in the theater (where it was meant to be seen, after all) and you'll realize that the sound on CD is correct.

Especially since it's shown to have a rigid frame.

But then of course the Hindenburg disaster was in 1937......

Neil

It went down 20 minutes from my home. :)

Damn I get home today and my daughter hands me a large CD package. My heart skipped a beat as I thought I would be enjoying IJ but noooooo, Intrada and the US Postal service decided to ship my order from Monday fast. :unsure:

Curse Intrada and their damn good customer service.....:cool:

I don't like rear channel rips and I'm very fussy about what I will use, but I;ve decided to use these because they are truly clean and even sounding:

Shanghai 1935

The Maharaja/The Feast (shortened a bit because of some dialogue echos)

So far I have to complement the Concord Set

Desert Chase(DCC Classics)

The Mummy Cave(Fake Leak)

Marion in the Pit(DCC LP)

ToD End Credits(edit)

ToD Over the Himalayas (Lego)

Shanghai 1935

The Marahaja/the Feast

maybe:Iskenrendun and Der wharever

why do the LC source cues have better sound than the rest of the boot?? And why are they both in 128kbps(anyone has better?)

I looked at that, but all the dialogue echoes throughout the cave scenes anyway. It's a bit of a mess... :unsure:

...unless, of course, the foreign language rips are echo-free in the rear channels!

Bringing this back up again, I have checked the German DVD containing English, German and Turkish audio tracks, and they all have voice echos in the rears and fronts.

:unsure:

My favorite three minutes in the film. We had to wait 20 years before they finally became available on CD.

:cool: :)

Indeed! I thought my CD was scratched for the longest time.

Amazon has pre-order price guarentee: if you pre-order something and the price goes lower than the price you bought it for, they'll charge you the lowest price that was listed before release.

Still waiting for Amazon to tell me that my copy of the set is "shipping soon"...

Did the "fake leak" shrink away due to it being revealed as a "fake"? I can't find that darn thing. (Found lots of copies of the DCC cd.)