Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (official Thread)

Mr. Breathmask

Fixing the previously released tracks is easy. However, for film cues, to find exact timings we'll have to plow through edits, loops, inserts, alternatives... Not cool. That is unless, a pattern can be found to these pitch variations.

Henry, would you perhaps be so kind as to post the pitch & speed changes you make in the Unreleased Indy music thread?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh s#it!

It seems that this box will be available from 12 december in all UE!

I wonder why.

Now I think I will buy it from play.com, which has it available from UK.

I wonder if this delay means that UE edition will be someway different from others (a disc 5 filled up to 80 mins? :) ).

I haven't been following the forum lately. So I don't know if this has been said before...

I manage to fix all tracks with wrong pitch from Temple of Doom without affecting quality. Even tracks like "Short Round Helps" and "Broken Bridge/British Relief", with partially wrong pitch turned out perfect...

I used Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (not Adobe Audition). I chose the "Resample" option, wich doesn't preserve pitch or tempo... simply accelerates the track and also the "high precision" option...

Raiders only needed some fix in "Map Room: Dawn"

I'm not huge fan of the Last Crusade score, so I don't know if it needs some fix too...

Has anyone tried buying the set from Concord Directly?

Any comments on their service?

Three ambiguously worded order confirmation emails.

So clarity in customer relations isn't their strong point then :P (wonder what is)

I wouldn't go with Amazon UK if I were you - their page says 6-12 days and it's via a Jersey company, Indigostarfish... :shakehead:

Seriously, anyone in the UK who still doesn't have this, get it from HMV or Play.com. Both have a 2-3 day delivery, although HMV is cheaper (and Maxxie and I who ordered from there both have ours).

Has anyone tried buying the set from Concord Directly?

Any comments on their service?

Three ambiguously worded order confirmation emails.

So clarity in customer relations isn't their strong point then :P (wonder what is)

I wouldn't go with Amazon UK if I were you - their page says 6-12 days and it's via a Jersey company, Indigostarfish... :shakehead:

Seriously, anyone in the UK who still doesn't have this, get it from HMV or Play.com. Both have a 2-3 day delivery, although HMV is cheaper (and Maxxie and I who ordered from there both have ours).

I have waited this long... A few more days won't hurt. :P

Hope you're enjoying your copy Rich! :P I can't begin to describe how much I'm enjoying mine! :P:D I'd have paid the price of the entire set just for the expanded ToD Score!

I'd like to pass on my praise for HMV if I can. I pre-ordered mine online from them. It was a £2/£3 cheaper than they sell it in the shops, AND I got it before it was officially released! :D

Well done HMV! :shakehead:

Oh my god. I think expanded TOD is already my favourite CD ever.

I think we should start a new thread that actually discusses the music.

I think we really should. No complaining which tracks are/aren't on, no sound quality/pitch issues... just a discussion of the music full stop. Which is mmmkaying amazing, by the way.

I didn't want to hurt people's feelings about calling the pitch thing imaginary

I just want to know if anyone else aside from the 5 people trying to fix the tracks can hear it

Fixing the previously released tracks is easy. However, for film cues, to find exact timings we'll have to plow through edits, loops, inserts, alternatives... Not cool. That is unless, a pattern can be found to these pitch variations.

Henry, would you perhaps be so kind as to post the pitch & speed changes you make in the Unreleased Indy music thread?

I don't think I'll be maintaining that thread. I removed everything except KotCS already. The most authoritative source for the trilogy music is indianajonesmusic.com (headed by Jason LeBlanc). Of course, if I'm the first to figure out pitch corrections, I'll pass the info along to Jason. I believe he intends to post that on the site eventually, along with exact timings for cue combinations.

Correcting Raiders should be pretty easy - just compare tracks with the DCC or the leaked version; it doesn't seem to have pitch problems. However, be sure that you're comparing identical sections of music, as there are a few differences with the official release: the full sustained string note at the end of "The Idol Temple," more separated cues in "Bad Dates," the album edit of "Basket Game," the different edit of "Washington Ending & Raiders March," and I think the amount of silence at the beginnings and ends of tracks is different. "Desert Chase" might be edited a little differently.

I don't think I'll be maintaining that thread. I removed everything except KotCS already. The most authoritative source for the trilogy music is indianajonesmusic.com (headed by Jason LeBlanc). Of course, if I'm the first to figure out pitch corrections, I'll pass the info along to Jason. I believe he intends to post that on the site eventually, along with exact timings for cue combinations.

Thanks Henry - and Jason!

Yeah the cues that were on previous albums should be pretty obvious, but it's especially the other ones that I'm interested in.

Well, still "order pending' at SAE , despite personally being told it should have shipped yesterday if I switched to them.

Don't worry, that doesn't say much. They may have shipped your order already and only mail you in a few days.

Well, still "order pending' at SAE , despite personally being told it should have shipped yesterday if I switched to them.

Hey my order from SAE was pending a week after the order was shipped. Apparently they shipped it on the 11th but for some reason they e-mailed me a week later. I had to check my Orders page on their site to find that out. Not knowing for sure adds to the excitement doesn't it :shakehead:

Yes, I am working on an update right now that contains the real TOD cue names, and explains where to edit the inserts in (when known).

I haven't figured out yet where to put or how exactly to word the pitch information. I also need someone to compile all that information into one place so it'll be easy for me to include. I thought having a separate thread for that information was a perfect idea, I'm not sure why Neil locked the thread.

I think there should be 3 threads

1 for actual discussion of the music

2 for my order has / hasn't arrived yet, this place has it for this price, this country won't get it until x date

3 for technical issues such as pitch and sound quality

Hate to seem presumptuous, but has anyone made a good film edit of the tank scene in LC yet?

I am absolutely loving 3.02 of On the Tank here. Brilliant! I got goosebumps first time I heard it.

It does indeed, but I think I'll have to make myself a decent film version of it.

Also, I can't believe how much better ToD sounds compared to LC. The difference in recording quality between the two is vast.

No ,I think On the Tank plays well on it's own ,so I don't feel the need to edit it into Belly of the Steel Beast

I agree, I tried putting it with BOTSB and it sounded awful. On The Tank is a seperate and highly enjoyable cue on its own.

In all seriousness there should be a technical thread for all this and leave a thread devoted to the actual music discussion.

I dont remember any relevant musical discussion by you about this box set...

or at least something that sticked out between all the bitching about the 'freaky' people.

Yea..I would have to agree with both sides of this ongoing dispute! I find the set to be great to have and very worthwhile listening...but considering that the set HAD to be made for hardcore John Williams fans....there are many things that seem careless. I have waited years to hear ToD as it was always my favorite....but now that the set has arrived...I think I'm favoring Last Crusade! :) I wish Crystal Skull would have been expanded...lots of good music unused...

In all seriousness there should be a technical thread for all this and leave a thread devoted to the actual music discussion.

I dont remember any relevant musical discussion by you about thix box set...

or at least something that sticked out between all the bitching about the 'freaky' people.

And you have contibuted........?

I have listened to Temple of Doom from start to finish everyday since I got this set. Any minor disappointment I have with it evaporates as soon as I hear stuff like Short Round Helps or The Broken Bridge.

Oh, choral rendition of the Slave Children march, where have you been all my life?

ToD is marvellous, so is LC!!! :)

Raiders is also great, but I'm not as excited about this one because we've had a lot of it before.

I dont remember any relevant musical discussion by you about thix box set...

And you have contibuted........?

Do i have the f*cking box set?

til yesterday it said shipping nov. 18th, despite the fact amazon.de changed the release date to dec. the 12th... but now they have changed it to dec 12th too. I can't start making my edits until I have the CDs

Hate to seem presumptuous, but has anyone made a good film edit of the tank scene in LC yet?

I am absolutely loving 3.02 of On the Tank here. Brilliant! I got goosebumps first time I heard it.

I have. I've done complete 2 disc versions of all 3 movies.

Found this in a review of the set at Musicfromthemovies.com:

"The albums presented here stick close to Williams’ original intentions, retaining his original album edits and thus vividly tell a story through music and with bags of colour and wit. What the additional cues do is simply augment that story a little further and while these score presentations are by no means complete I think it’s enough to keep fans satisfied; what remains on the cutting room floor is surely only filler anyway."

Anyone else here who slightly disagrees :blink: ?

"The albums presented here stick close to Williams’ original intentions, retaining his original album edits and thus vividly tell a story through music and with bags of colour and wit. What the additional cues do is simply augment that story a little further and while these score presentations are by no means complete I think it’s enough to keep fans satisfied; what remains on the cutting room floor is surely only filler anyway."

after hearing whats in the 'editing package' I can't say I disagree ( I still ahvent listened to the still unreelased cues from Last Crusade though). Outside of Desert Chase and ToD end credits of course.

wow,thats pretty ignorant .I just cringe of thinking The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight are getting COMPLETE no compromise score releases when I read garbage like that.

That's a bit a problem with a lot of Williams releases ,always some sort of compromise.We didn't give you the music because even thought these are some of the best scores of all time we think the rest of the cues boring filler blah blah blah

Anyone else here who slightly disagrees :baaa: ?

wow,thats pretty ignorant .I just cringe of thinking The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight are getting COMPLETE no compromise score releases when I read garbage like that.

That's a bit a problem with a lot of Williams releases ,always some sort of compromise.We didn't give you the music because even thought these are some of the best scores of all time we think the rest of the cues boring filler blah blah blah

Well....duh. They are.

Haven't you heard that Rope Bridge that was left off?

It's 2 minutes of repetitive percussion. Who needs that?? :blink:

No,i think you misunderstood me .I WANT the Rope Bridge cue, the argument was that it could not take the place of a cue that they already put on there ,assuming they had a limit .

Now that I've had a week to absorb the set and I read a thread about a COMPLETE The Dark Knight,it makes me really pissed off. The movei was released like 4 months ago .Why can;t we get that with Indy, KotCS,the SW prequels and Harry Potter?

btw...i think there's a problem. I compared all of my Last Crusade bootleg tracks to those in the pack that was sent out and the ones in the pack are clearly compressed. I dunno what the source was on them but there's a pretty big difference to me.

(response to paleo)

I'm sure it's better than filler, but in the last few days I've been listening more and more, and realised that from an Indy fan, but not Indy maniac point of view, this is an amazingly satisfying set. Yes, of course Laurent messed up in places, but we're all capable of adding cues from other sources to meet our individual standards, and there are people editing material for those less able who can spread the wealth. (I really can't be bothered to do a ToD credits edit for 26 seconds missing, but I have ripped the bridge percussion standalone - and plenty of others have done both of these, there's no shortage of skills around here)

Just my 2p.

Now that I've had a week to absorb the set and I read a thread about a COMPLETE The Dark Knight,it makes me really pissed off. The movei was released like 4 months ago .Why can;t we get that with Indy, KotCS,the SW prequels and Harry Potter?

Dark Knight was a mega hit and Zimmer is loved by the public. You don't need much more than that to sell a 2-disc set. And yes, I'm outraged at it too :blink:

What is the best source of the LC boot?

there are many floating around

One with dehissing only and wrong pitch (PAL) ,that;s the least worse sounding

there's another one with pitch corrected that is unlisteneable because of multiple artifacts

What is the best source of the LC boot?

there are many floating around

One with dehissing only and wrong pitch (PAL) ,that;s the least worse sounding

there's another one with pitch corrected that is unlisteneable because of multiple artifacts

mine is untouched. Didn't do any sort of clean-up on it. Sounds like it's directly from the tape master.

But whomever did this one sure compressed the hell out of it.

Oh and btw...i've done a new version of the temple credits (in addition to the belly of the beast). i'd be happy to send it to anyone to get feedback.