Upcoming Films

Quintus

I think she was good in Wolf of Wall Street and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I thought she wasn't very good in Suicide Squad but that maybe isn't her fault. Don't think I've seen her in anything else but generally I'd say she's pretty good.

We found you!  The one person that likes it! :P

I haven't seen it, but in terms of relative to the pedigree of its talent in front of and behind the camera, it could be considered one of the worst reviewed movies in recent history.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

People interested should just watch it instead of caring what critics think

That's a comment very true.

I like/love so many films that critcs butcher. I don't read reviews anymore for any film I want to see

12 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

That's a comment very true.I like/love so many films that critcs butcher. I don't read reviews anymore for any film I want to see

Can't you just look at the lowest scores at Rotten Tomatoes and watch those? 

You're the only person I know that brings up that website constantly.  Nobody I interact with in real life ever mentions it at all

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're the only person I know that brings up that website constantly.  Nobody I interact with in real life ever mentions it at all

I don't bring it up here but I will usually at least look at the scores if it's not a film I'm dead set on seeing anyway.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This looks like so much fun. Count me in!!

I am there that weekend

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

I use it as repository for film reviews as a convenience 

I liked Hereditary and Midsommar.  I'll see this dude's third flick regardless of what its about or whose in it

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, I don't think you and I would interact or connect in real life either, Jay. 

11 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I don't bring it up here but I will usually at least look at the scores if it's not a film I'm dead set on seeing anyway.

People here look down at IMDb scores but I find it fairly reliable. If a movie gets, let's say, a 4/10, I rarely disagree with that and claim it a great movie. I find it very handy that Prime shows you the IMDb score for all of their movies. Of course, if you find yourself constantly disagreeing, then it isn't a useful tool.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Well, I don't think you and I would interact or connect in real life either, Jay. 

Are you saying when you hang out with your real life friends, you talk about Rotten Tomatoes scores?  Why?

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

People here look down at IMDb scores but I find it fairly reliable. If a movie gets, let's say, a 4/10, I rarely disagree with that and claim it a great movie. I find it very handy that Prime shows you the IMDb score for all of their movies. Of course, if you find yourself constantly disagreeing, then it isn't a useful tool.

I can't think of a single time I've ever looked up a film's IMDB score

I decide what movies to watch based on trailers, worth of mouth, and/or the previous works of the people involved.  That's it!

I'm always surprised that people in 2023 care about what critics think, or what any particular website's aggregation of data totals up to, or anything like that.

Maybe back in the 90s when you had to spend money to see a new movie in the cinema every time and didn't want to waste money on a film you didn't like when you could have seen a better one, sure, that was a different time.  But everything is just a few clicks of my remote away now.  If I see a movie and it wasn't that great, I don't really care that I spent 2 hours watching it instead of some other movie >shrug<  That's life!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm always surprised that people in 2023 care about what critics think, or what any particular website's aggregation of data totals up to, or anything like that.

Maybe back in the 90s when you had to spend money to see a new movie in the cinema every time and didn't want to waste money on a film you didn't like when you could have seen a better one, sure, that was a different time.  But everything is just a few clicks of my remote away now.  If I see a movie and it wasn't that great, I don't really care that I spent 2 hours watching it instead of some other movie >shrug<  That's life!

This is spot on. A film either sells itself to me or it doesn't. A critics rating is absolutely meaningless to me. 

When my friends and I talk about movies, nobody mentions any critics, or what someone on the internet thought about it, or anything.  We just talk about what we thought of it, and/or what other people we know thought of it >shrug<

I use IMDb as a reference all the time. I like getting upset over having dissimilar opinions with people I don’t know.

Jokes aside, I like to read what people think. I think it’s enlightening, even if I don’t agree.

Also, I like to watch movies that aren’t in the mainstream, and then it’s a great help to look up a movie for a point of reference.

• <5 I usually won’t watch it.
  • 5-7 I will try to read some reviews and see if it’s a movie I might like, since any grade that is 5-7 can mean anything from “it’s very bad” to “it’s very good”.
  • >7 I’ll usually give it a try.

On 05/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jay said:

On 09/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Jay said:

On 22/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, Jay said:

“We’ve been in Prague filming for four months,” de Armas said. “We still have one more month to go. And I’m in pain. You know, my body, my back, everything hurts. I’m complaining, I’m sore, I’m bruised. Bond was fifteen minutes. This is a whole movie, another level.”

In addition, The Gray Man star also went to tease her fight sequences with franchise star Keanu Reeves, praising the John Wick star for his professionalism and dedication, which helped her pushed through with their difficult and crazy stunts.

She continued, “Keanu and I were rehearsing our very difficult stunt scene, and this man is just rolling and throwing me and doing crazy stunts. And I’m like — I can’t complain anymore. Because he is doing it! He truly is the best.”

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1259091-ballerina-ana-de-armas-keanu-reeves-fight

On 4/1/2023 at 2:53 PM, rough cut said:

The Last Duel, I ordered the book before christmas. I haven’t gotten to it yet, but I’ll read it before I see the film.

Haven’t read the book, although I’d like to. The film is thoroughly terrific and a must-see. 

Scott has his Napoleon biopic coming out this year, with Joaquin Phoenix in the lead role, and that is surely the movie I’m most eagerly awaiting for 2023 (after Indy 5).

Showed my wife the Renfield trailer the other night; She had no clue what it was or that NIcholas Cage was in it, so the fact that they hold off on that reveal until the end of the trailer really worked on her, she laughed out loud and said we had to see it

(We both had a hoot watching Vampire's Kiss within the last year or two)

On 05/01/2023 at 12:15 PM, Mr. Who said:

How is Amsterdam?

On 05/01/2023 at 12:25 PM, Disco Stu said:

We found you!  The one person that likes it!

I finally posted my thoughts here if you're interested

I am laughing because those who say they don't understand why any cares what someone thinks about a movie but then those people share what they thought about a movie just does not make sense. 

:o

Francis Ford Coppola’s latest movie, the sci-fi-tinged Megalopolis, has descended into chaos, according to multiple sources. The movie, currently halfway through shooting in Atlanta, has in the last week lost key creative talent including its production designer and supervising art director. That’s on top of losing the entire visual effects team in the first part of December.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/francis-ford-coppolas-megalopolis-in-peril-1235284875/

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I hadn't heard of this movie until now. As described in the article, the premise is really intriguing, so I hope the movie manages to get finished.

Megalopolis has been something Coppola has been trying to make for decades and will probably be his final film. Its gone through so many hurdles to get made, and now going through his patented very troubled production as well.  Either it will become a classic and have an all-time great deliver one last masterpiece, or will serve as another forgotten film by a director who hasn't had a memorable film in decades.

I hope its good, but the fact that even Coppola himself cannot tell what the movie is about is not a good sign.

On 10/01/2023 at 5:51 PM, Jay said:

The Beau Is Afraid trailer is here

Is Ari Aster the New Terry Gilliam? Not gonna watch this one. Didn't like anything about it.

So this is the new movie Zimmer is scoring.

And not sure why it says 'introducing Abby Ryder Forston', because she's been in the first 2 Ant-Man films as Scott Lang's daughter, but whatever. It looks fun. And I'll watch anything with Rachel McAdams