Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

MattyO

I agree about the JP main theme. I think it only really works when the Brachiosaurs are first seen.

LOL its the main ussage of the theme.

Then its remembering petticoat lane and the finale in the helicopter. Both sad renditions.

So where is its un-fittness?

It is never used with the raptors, dilophosaurs, T-Rex or Neddry's Affairs.

It scores the awe Dinosaurs inspire on people, but not the terror they can become.

That much is certain.

The painting depicts Peter denying Jesus 3 times. I thought all religious material was banned by the Kitomer Accord?

I thought it was Socrates.

Socrates denied Jesus 3 times?

I agree about the JP main theme. I think it only really works when the Brachiosaurs are first seen.

LOL its the main ussage of the theme.

Then its remembering petticoat lane and the finale in the helicopter. Both sad renditions.

So where is its un-fittness?

It is never used with the raptors, dilophosaurs, T-Rex or Neddry's Affairs.

It scores the awe Dinosaurs inspire on people, but not the terror they can become.

It's because the scene doesn't go on for very long, and it works with it. I can't stand hearing the theme for an extended period as it gets old very fast, which is why I don't like the ending (well, also that it just seems really boring). I don't really like the film much either, so I'm not really that bothered about any of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lookied for something to listen to in the background and checked the whole interview out. It was a terrific interview, Tommy Pearson has a way of making the interviewees very comfortable and personable. I wish I liked Newell's movies more, but he came off as quite nice and quite generous. And the bit about JW seemed more like poor phrasing than him slagging of Williams. I seem to like controversial film-music related interviews (Like Horner's Troy interview). I'm with Alan on this one.

And the way he talked about how the studio wanted Hedwig's Theme made it seem like he didn't even want it in his film.

...but he went on to whistle the theme, which seemed quite charitable to me.

Horner's interview wasn't controversial, it was downright rude and completely unprofessional IMO.

For those who haven't heard it, he spends ages going on about Troy and Yared, and says, and I quote: "how atrocious the music was", and how ill-equipped Yared was for doing a film like that. And also that even though Yared had spent a year on his score, Horner thought doing a better score in 10 days would be an exercise in seeing 'how much music I could write'.

The man's lost much of the respect I had.

Well, I know that whenever dealing with Horner, I must remove several layers of ego before being to perhaps find something thought-worthy. And I thought he did raise a couple of valid points in there, despite his out-right rudeness in belittling Yared's aptitude.

• 9 years later...

Why didn't I (and many others) hear about this Newell interview until now? It was universally common knowledge that Williams dropped out because of a scheduling issue with Memoirs of a Geisha. The conspiracy with JW's lack of involvement in this series keeps getting darker. Ahhhhhhh!

48 minutes ago, Drew said:

Why didn't I (and many others) hear about this Newell interview until now? It was universally common knowledge that Williams dropped out because of a scheduling issue with Memoirs of a Geisha. The conspiracy with JW's lack of involvement in this series keeps getting darker. Ahhhhhhh!

Does this Newell interview actually exist?

1 hour ago, Drew said:

It was common knowledge in 2004, that Newell didn't like JW's music, and wanted Doyle.

If Cauron was directing GOBLET OF FIRE, then JW would have been all over it, like a bug on shit.

"Scheduling issue" my ass.

I think Doyle was a great choice for HP4, if only he hadn't dropped all of JW's themes. I'll never understand why they suddenly replace character themes, no point at all.

On 09/01/2009 at 1:05 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Well I've never heard it with the film, but it seemed to me few things can be less supportive of the (poor) film than Horner's score.

I think it is a bit...much:

Karol

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I think Doyle was a great choice for HP4, if only he hadn't dropped all of JW's themes. I'll never understand why they suddenly replace character themes, no point at all.

Territoriality.

44 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Williams did it himself with Azkaban.

Karol

Agreed. As for the other composers, I don't understand why it's supposed to be artistically offensive and blah blah blah. If I wrote a HP score, I wouldn't jump up and down in anticipation to completely overhaul themes. I'd love to develop them. Voldemort's theme exists, so I'd use it.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Agreed. As for the other composers, I don't understand why it's supposed to be artistically offensive and blah blah blah. If I wrote a HP score, I wouldn't jump up and down in anticipation to completely overhaul themes. I'd love to develop them. Voldemort's theme exists, so I'd use it.

if someone spoke to you imitating your accent, syntax and vocabulary, would you be grateful that they pay homage to it? I don't think Williams is very fond of other people using his material. I think great artist encourage other people to develop their own voices and not to canibalize someone else's vocabulary. Notice that Williams tends to speak highly of composers who sound absolutely nothing like him.

Karol

There's a difference between sounding like JW and using JW's themes. For example: why would Voldemort's 'big reveal theme when he's shown at the end of HP1' not work during his resurrection? It's the same guy, same story...

Williams might be unhappy with other composers adapting his themes in their own ways, be it because they have different styles and techniques which make his themes less "his" themes, or because he might feel that some of the are not up to it and may end up trivialising his themes. If I understand @elvisjones's comments in the other thread correctly, it seems that Williams requested changes to be made to the preliminary RO score because it used too many of his themes, or perhaps too many of his themes in settings he wasn't happy with.

They should have gotten Horner to do GOF.

If you've never been on that stupid Diagon Alley ride, they actually associated Williams material such as three note loop with characters from the later movies. So you hear that when a miniature Voldemort on a screen attacks you. Sort of like an alternate universe where Williams did the later movies.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

There's a difference between sounding like JW and using JW's themes. For example: why would Voldemort's 'big reveal theme when he's shown at the end of HP1' not work during his resurrection? It's the same guy, same story...

Well why wouldn't the original Imperial theme work for Vader in Empire? ;)

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

So are we to assume that JW is happy with every single theme statement he has ever had to write... ever?

That's not that hard to imagine, is it?

Karol

Well, also he committed fully to the march after ESB. It's easy enough to come up with excuses and retcon stuff if it's largely kept consistent. 

Like if Hooper and Desplat had stuck with Doyle's Voldemort theme, Potter fans could just say Williams's themes were pre-return and Doyle's was Voldy fully formed.

But after a certain point it just stopped being fun to keep track.