The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

The complete score for Air Force One is simply awesome, the unreleased material really fleshes out the score in my opinion.

With 60 minutes running time, even Chain Reaction would be a stunner. Maybe not...but with all those overlong releases of functional underscore going on today, those old Jerrys would still pack the punch. And there's so much of this stuff, CONGO, THE SHADOW, EXECUTIVE DECISION, THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS (for which he had to write and rewrite over 90 minutes).

To get back to the topic: INNERSPACE is, as to be expected, a great addition. I still don't understand why the producers do not trim the fat to make the listen more smooth (50, 55 minutes seems more than sufficient) or why Lala-Land still adheres to the unwelcome policy of stitching unrelated cues together (forcing me to re-do it in CoolEdit), but that's minor gripes.

The sound is top-notch and the score feels much more rounded and diverse now (western theme á la BURBS, broad love theme).

It never struck me that Goldsmith binds the score together by the same thematic basis, a 4 note motif, which acts as hymn for Dennis Quaid and his mission, then as nervous tickly motif for Martin Short's angst-ridden discounter accountant and even the love theme is built from it. Quite like The Mummy, in fact. Synths are prominent, of course, but they are elegantly combined with the huge orchestra and all feels very 'traditional' Hollywood (it's still a music-heavy Spielberg production, after all). Great release, another Jerry-chapter closed. :rolleyes:

My Innerspace and The Fugitive arrived yesterday from La La Land. No autographs for these ones?

To get back to the topic: INNERSPACE is, as to be expected, a great addition. I still don't understand why the producers do not trim the fat to make the listen more smooth (50, 55 minutes seems more than sufficient)

Are you kidding? The labels should ALWAYS release the complete score, or at least as much of it as they can / is available. You can always edit it down to your preferred 50 minutes yourself!

or why Lala-Land still adheres to the unwelcome policy of stitching unrelated cues together (forcing me to re-do it in CoolEdit), but that's minor gripes.

Complete agreed. I wish every label followed this very simple policy: Every cue always gets its own individual track, with a clean opening and ending. Exception is only when 2 cues were MEANT to segue into each other.

or why Lala-Land still adheres to the unwelcome policy of stitching unrelated cues together (forcing me to re-do it in CoolEdit), but that's minor gripes.

Complete agreed. I wish every label followed this very simple policy: Every cue always gets its own individual track, with a clean opening and ending. Exception is only when 2 cues were MEANT to segue into each other.

Yes, well, perhaps Concord felt that an 18 minute long "super-track" to follow Anything Goes in Temple of Doom would be a little intimidating.

^^^Diego...Innerspace is nowhere in the league of Poltergeist .I don't recall anything that sounds like Rebirth

Well, actually there is music that recalls the undulating melody in "Rebirth"; one of the few scores for which Goldsmith did that, and a nice surprise for me (who loves that kind of music and had not seen Innerspace for a long time). That said, it's actually more reminiscent of the V'ger music in Sar Trek TMP (being more electronic in nature), but it's the same approach to mystery/awe music (listen to "Optic Nerve"!). It is not really in the league of Poltergeist, but strong nevertheless.

So I finally got Innerspace and The Fugitive yesterday, as well as Back to the Future, and they all are very fine releases (stayed up till 3 am, but didn't get through it all yet). Innerspace is my favorite so far, and I don't usually say that about Goldsmith scores. In other words, I highly recommend it - if you can still get it.

Ha! I got mine before you! :P

I don't think I'm going to have time to listen to any of these tonight though, what with that new (and final, at least for the current game) Monkey Island chapter out today.

I may not get mine for awhile, I looked at my order and realized I mistakingly typed the last two numbers of my zip code in the wrong order. :P

THANK YOU! Couldn't agree more with that sentiment. Merging two unrelated cues together is the kind of editing that I was hoping not to see on this 2-disc release, but unfortunately it forces everyone to hang on to the 1993 soundtrack album (and the leather footwarmer) as well as the LLL release to preserve clean openings and endings. :P

LLL will be releasing Battlestar Galactica: The Plan/Razor on Feb 16

Amazon link

They are also announcing 3 more limited edition titles, which will start shipping on Jan 5, on Dec 31st.

Oh my, lots of La La Land on the way!

Tuesday, January 5th

- 2 Limited Edition Titles (announced Dec 31st)

Tuesday, January 19th

- Armored (John Murphy)

- Legion (John Frizzell)

- Leverage (Joseph LoDuca)

Tuesday, February 16th

- Battlestar Galactica: The Plan/Razor (Bear McCreary)

- Days of Our Lives (2CD) (Ken Corday, D. Brent Nelson)

- Love Happens (Christopher Young)

March

- Eraser (Expanded Archival Collection) (Alan Silvestri)

July (Comic-Con)

- The X-Files (4CD set) (Mark Snow)

- "some other cool CDs"

Well, Saturday Night Live is up to Season Five on their DVD releases, and that's a 30+ year show.

It probably won't be long before all the classic soap operas are released in some kind of digital download/stream format. Although a map of the plotlines over the decades would certainly be redundant.

Are the X files and Eraser Limited?

I believe they will be, yes

And will the Batman the Animation Series Vol 2 comes at last?

After LLL's Vol 1 sold out so quickly, WB decided that they wanted to release future volumes themselves. So any future volumes will be done by them in-house w/o LLL's involvement. I bet the final product will be inferior (little or no liner notes, not listening to fans about what episodes to include, etc)

Are the X files and Eraser Limited?

I believe they will be, yes

And will the Batman the Animation Series Vol 2 comes at last?

After LLL's Vol 1 sold out so quickly, WB decided that they wanted to release future volumes themselves. So any future volumes will be done by them in-house w/o LLL's involvement. I bet the final product will be inferior (little or no liner notes, not listening to fans about what episodes to include, etc)

Has that been confirmed? Last I heard, LLL had said it was just a rumour and nothing had been decided.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just read an FSM post where LLL said that it's all up in the air, and judging from the tone of the post it didn't sound likely. Oh well ;)

Hmmm, maybe its not confirmed. I can't remember. I know MV said that they had wanted to release Vol 2 this year but couldn't because of WB

That's news to me and man.... that sucks.... I guess we're a victim of Vol. 1 success. I so wanted a nice 2 CD Vol.2, there's so much good stuff, just off the top of my head: "The man who killed Batman", "Feats of Clay", "Appointment at Crime Alley", "Hearth of Ice"... oh well.

In September of this year MV Gerhard said this regarding BTAS :

All that is just rumor and speculation. We may do more... we may not. It's up to WB.

Right now we are wrapping up Green Lantern. Wonder Woman will follow later in the year. WB decided to go the download route/Amazon.com CDR thing for Batman/Superman Public Enemies, so we won't be doing that one.

I hope we can continue on with BTAS, as well as Superman and JL. Only time will tell.

Best,

MV

FSM Link

Hopefully Warner Brothers does let them continue with the other stuff.

BTW I listened to The Fugitive today, pretty good score, better than I remember. Then again I hadn't listened to it in a long time despite the fact I had the boot.

According to LLLR in an FSM post, what happened with B:TAS was not that the studio stopped them (According to one of the composers, LLLR asked if they could release "Everything" and the studio said "Okay"), but rather Warner Bros. Music aquired a music label and they are dealign with that and releases from that, which is keeping WB -- sadly -- busy.

At this rate, it would take five or mroe years to complete B:TAS alone. And just a few years ago the studio was not interested in releasing them, showing you how fast things can change.

Today is already 31th of December. Where is the announcement? What is the time of the announcement? How many hours left until their announcement?

It is already 4 pm in Hong Kong! I've been waiting for this for a whole day.

Interesting batch.

Nate & Hayes should be something most film score fans will enjoy.

Caddyshack is just a re-issue of the original album. But what interests me is what else MV Gerhard says:

It's a our first release with Sony Special Products. They have different production terms than other companies. In the coming years we will have editions of 3500 units all the way up to 5000 units (depending on the title). Most of those titles will be part of our Expanded Archival Collection.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=64910&archive=0

Maybe Hook & ID4 could fall under this.

One can only hope. I do hope La-La Land does release a complete Independence Day next year, it would be awesome. To even top it off it would be even cooler if they had the film version of "The Virus / The Day We Fight Back".

They don't own it, they do have the license from Lucasfilm though, with the exception of the original Star Wars, where 20th Century Fox may be involved (I'm not sure), everything Star Wars is owned by Lucas.

One can only hope. I do hope La-La Land does release a complete Independence Day next year, it would be awesome. To even top it off it would be even cooler if they had the film version of "The Virus / The Day We Fight Back".

Indeed. Both would be instant buys for me. And I'm sure they'd have all film and alternate versions - that's what these guys do.

I'm fine with the single disc ID4. I like the score but I rarely listen to what has been released, I don't think I'd be at all interested in an expanded/complete version. Hook, on the other hand, I would order without a second thought.

I'm fine with the single disc ID4. I like the score but I rarely listen to what has been released, I don't think I'd be at all interested in an expanded/complete version. Hook, on the other hand, I would order without a second thought.

ID4 is much better expanded. Definitely more diverse - the CD lacks certian important cues like First Lady Dies or those from Area 51 and the mothership.

On the other hand, I am quite content with original Hook album. I listened to the 3-disc version and I found most of "extra" material redundant. The most interesting were instrumental When You Are Alone, expanded battle cues and unused Rufio.