Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I am now the proud owner of a "V" bootleg. I could tell by the printing and CD label... the usual telltale signs.

No biggie. The eBay seller actually refunded my money, so I guess it is a free bootleg. :)

Listening to the score, it is a wonderful pastiche of North by Northwest and Ride of the Valkyrie. But damn, it really works, and it is very listenable. I will definitely be picking up a legit copy from the Harnell website.

They are hit and miss, but some of it is essential Williams. I don't have the second disc, but beyond the Williams, I enjoy the Horner piece, the Broughton Gather Ye Acorns, and the Michael Kamen episode.

Are any of them in Low Quantity Land yet? I really don't have the cash for them right now, but I definitely don't want to miss Amazing Stories.

I finally got around to purchasing the rest of Holst's The Planets. On iTunes I bought Venus, Mercury, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune (I already have Mars and Jupiter). I also bought Grainger's "Children's March" and "Fascinatin' Rhythm."

Which recording of The Planets did you get?

The Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein (re-recording, James Sedares conducting the Phoenix Symphony).

Deep Impact by James Horner

Are any of them in Low Quantity Land yet? I really don't have the cash for them right now, but I definitely don't want to miss Amazing Stories.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18835&st=40

The Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein (re-recording, James Sedares conducting the Phoenix Symphony).

I would also recommend the RCA recording done by Elmer Bernstein and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra' produced by Robert Townson, that was pulled for legal reasons, don't recall why. I was fortunate to grab a copy before it was pulled.

How do you like it? Even more than the actual 7, I love the Hallelujah Trail ouverture on this album.

The River arrived! It's in excellent condition. $15 well spent. Is it just me, or does the woman on the cover look incredibly disinterested and bored for having to fight through a ferocious river?

The River...Is it just me, or does the woman on the cover look incredibly disinterested and bored for having to fight through a ferocious river?

Fighting a ferocious river, which is probably very cold, beats the hell out of your body for a long period of time. Interest and excitement would wash out of the face very quickly, to be replaced with a mundane "at least I'm still here" face.

Either that, or she's had it up to here with Mel Gibson's uber-feminist rants.

How do you like it? Even more than the actual 7, I love the Hallelujah Trail ouverture on this album.

I like the performance of The Magnificent Seven, very rich and rounded but I can't really compare as this is the only version of the score I have heard. I should hunt down the Bernstein conducted version as well for comparison. Some say the Sedares version does not quite capture the vibrancy of the original.

And the Hallelujah Trail overture is indeed a great piece. Took me completely by surprise. I had no idea what kind of piece it was. :huh:

Hallelujah Trail went on to become my favourite Bernstein score. It's a shame that only the album tracks could be saved and the rest of the score is lost forever. A really brilliant leitmotif score. I love the movie, too, although sadly the second half really drags.

I'm still trying to figure out if that cover is a photo, a painting, or a mixture of both.

It's obviously a painting. And a really bad one, too.

A friend of mine randomly gave me the Raiders LP. I don't have a record player (I have all the music anyway), but it's still a really neat thing to have on top of my CD shelf. He's a good guy. :)

Just purchased, thanks to SAE's clearance sale:

The Great Mouse Detective - Henry Mancini (my first album by him)

Matinee - Jerry Goldsmith

Memoirs of an Invisible Man - Shirley Walker

Yea there used to be a page where you could sort all users by post count or join date or whatever, or see all kinds of that info. All you had to do was click on "Members". But now when you click on "Members", it brings you to "Messages" for some reason

Newbury Comics had a used CD sale yesterday. For a total of $16 ($2.66 each!) I got:

David Arnold - Quantum of Solace

Danny Elfman - Big Fish

Danny Elfman - Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Danny Elfman - Charlotte's Web

John Williams - Born On The Fourth Of July

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness

Today I ordered from Amazon Lost Season 6 for $15 and Weezer's Hurley (Deluxe Edition) for $10.

My copy of Lost: The Final Season arrived Friday. Booklet seems skimpy compared to previous seasons

I ordered it from Amazon along with Weezer's new album, which coincidentally features Jorge Garcia on the cover. But I haven't listened to it yet. I can't imagine it could be any worse than their last album

mohzz.jpg

Just received Howard Blake's Flash Gordon/Amityville 3D promo from Moviemusic and Goldenthal's Batman Forever from Ebay. This was my first Moviemusic order, and they were very good, good shipping prices and fast too. My only complaint is the packaging - the little white container was inadequate and the lack of padding meant the teeth on the disc holder were all broken in transit. But everything else is very good.

My order from MovieMusic with SpaceCamp, Batman:EAC, and The Lone Gunmen / Harsh Realm shipped yesterday, cause I asked Peter to ship it (I had originally told him he could hold it up until the replacement SpaceCamp discs came in, but since I'll soon be ordering more stuff the replacement discs can just ship with those).

Simply replace the faulty discs. The 3,000 existed sealed copies are all there will be; The replacement discs come in a simply sleeve

Simply replace the faulty discs. The 3,000 existed sealed copies are all there will be; The replacement discs come in a simply sleeve

So there will technically be 6,000 copies of SpaceCamp. 3,000 sealed in jewel cases with liner notes, and 3,000 replacement discs, intended only for those 3,000 original buyers.

I'm surprised that there aren't more sealed copies on eBay. Their average buy it now price is low, though. I haven't received either disc from MovieMusic yet.

Well the replacement discs haven't even been sent to Intrada from the pressing plant yet

I wouldn't be surprised to see replacement discs being sold on ebay separate from their sealed originals, so the speculators who bought extra copies can make their profits twicefold

I'm surprised that there aren't more sealed copies on eBay. Their average buy it now price is low, though. I haven't received either disc from MovieMusic yet.

Don't forget that the replacements don't come with cover and booklet. Once I receive my replacement disc, I'll probably put the faulty on up on eBay. Obviously un-sealed, used and without booklet (and clearly marked as faulty).

Maybe this was Intrada's ingenious ploy to get 6,000 copies of this great Williams score out to the fans. A way to workaround the 3,000 unit limitation they had :P

I am considering doing the same thing, Marian. Although one could argue that -- morally, at least -- it's like buying a movie, making a copy, and then selling the original disc. Yes and no. They are two individual items, but since you could not have bought a replacement disc without having bought the faulty disc, they really are part of a set.

If they wanted to get 6,000 sets out there, then what I want to know is, where are the 3,000 replacement discs for the defective Intrada Predator?! Cha-CHING!