War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

Was the War Horse play a musical?

Well there is the odd chance that the play has songs intertwined with the story though I have no idea if the actors actually sing any of them in it.

It has a lot of music in it, and the cast sing. In the London stage version, John Tams played 'The Songmaker', who helps the story along with songs. The whole ensemble sing folk songs and other 'group' songs.

Here's the cd on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Horse-Adrian-Sutton/dp/B001I3RW22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305275355&sr=8-2

Here's some Youtube clips with some of the Sutton/Tams music in the background:

Another clip with the music from the stageplay in the background

and here's the NY cast singing (starts at 6:00):

There are traditional English folk songs, some hymns and music hall songs as well as original Sutton/Tams music. It'll be interesting to see what from the play ends up in the film. I think the Sutton score is fantastic, massively dramatic and emotional, and would happily have seen that in the film alongside what Williams produces.

Actually this clip is the best for the music. It's from the NY production, where John Tams' role is taken by a woman:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh the actor Kit Harington playing Jon Snow in the Game of Thrones seems to play the lead in that particular performance of the play.

I think it is somewhat saddening to see the general cynical attitude of so many "fans" of John Williams in regards to his upcoming scores. We have so little information to go on with Tintin and War Horse that drawing cynically disappointed conclusions from a few comments is somewhat ridiculous. The expectations for this music would seem insurmountable to any composer, even Williams, as he is receiving such flack for it even though we have not heard a single note of it. I know that a pessimist is never disappointed but do we really shoot JW down before we have heard this music.

Heh the actor Kit Harington playing Jon Snow in the Game of Thrones seems to play the lead in that particular performance of the play.

I think it is somewhat saddening to see the general cynical attitude of so many "fans" of John Williams in regards to his upcoming scores. We have so little information to go on with Tintin and War Horse that drawing cynically disappointed conclusions from a few comments is somewhat ridiculous. The expectations for this music would seem insurmountable to any composer, even Williams, as he is receiving such flack for it even though we have not heard a single note of it. I know that a pessimist is never disappointed but do we really shoot JW down before we have heard this music.

Yeah, welcome to the board... :(

Is this aimed at me? I haven't posted anything negative about Williams. I love his music.

Is this aimed at me? I haven't posted anything negative about Williams. I love his music.

No, I was certainly and most definitely not aiming that comment at you but commenting the general attitudes very much present in this and other threads on upcoming JW scores.

Quite the opposite I thank you for providing the link to the CD on Amazon. :)

The soundclips sound quite good actually, intertwining folk tunes and songs with orchestral melodies.

No, I was certainly and most definitely not aiming that comment at you but commenting the general attitudes very much present in this and other threads on upcoming JW scores.

Quite the opposite I thank you for providing the link to the CD on Amazon. :)

The soundclips sound quite good actually, intertwining folk tunes and songs with orchestral melodies.

Phew thanks for that. Was getting a bit paranoid there for a moment ...

The expectations for this music would seem insurmountable to any composer, even Williams, as he is receiving such flack for it even though we have not heard a single note of it.

If i follow this logic, the expectations should be quite low for the pessimists crowding this board.

But isn't it a bit boring to play always the voice of reason? ;)

The expectations for this music would seem insurmountable to any composer, even Williams, as he is receiving such flack for it even though we have not heard a single note of it.

If i follow this logic, the expectations should be quite low for the pessimists crowding this board.

But isn't it a bit boring to play always the voice of reason? ;)

Well the pessimistic view is that the new work will never be as good as the old classics, they almost by default expected it to be failures or lesser things, people bring up their most hated JW scores and gladly speculate that the new works will sound like them.

But I guess you can be happily surprised when the score is above the feared levels of boredom and comes out "OK". It wasn't as bad as we feared even though it did not climb as high as we hoped.

And no, I am a one role wonder when it comes to playing these parts. Typecast for life I guess. And I do such a convincing voice of reason.

And I do such a convincing voice of reason.

This you do with relish.

As for WAR HORSE, i think everybody here hopes for an inspiring movie and score, only some hide it better than others. ;) Sadly, Spielberg has lost his marbles a long time ago, at least imho. He's now just another proficient Hollywood director. I hope i'm wrong but...well, we'll see.

About the orchestration choices, keep in mind that Great Britain has a HUGE tradition of music for brass band, from Elgar to Walton, passing through Bax, Bliss and many other very fine composers.

• 1 month later...

War Horse won the Tony this past weekend for best play.

It was apparently very emotional.

I hope that the film is also emotional. I'm now more excited about Williams contribution to the film.

• 2 weeks later...

bump,

Steven Spielberg's most intriguing project of the two.

No. I can already see exactly how this one is going to go down without even having read the book.

Maybe Steven wants to see if he can get another Oscar? This will be predictable, sentimental, solemn and have an ending were everything turns out OK and we can all go home glad.

No. I can already see exactly how this one is going to go down without even having read the book.

Maybe Steven wants to see if he can get another Oscar? This will be predictable, sentimental, solemn and have an ending were everything turns out OK and we can all go home glad.

Happy endings do exist. Even a pragmatist such as yourself has to agree.

• 1 month later...

If it wasn't for some damn Dreamworks exec getting choked-up from some footage, we would be getting the movie and score in a week or so.

I think he's refering to a screening that Spielberg gave to the studio executives, where it was decided the movie should be pushed back to a Christmas release date, probably in order to get more award recognition.

It seems if the movie had to come out in the Summer, it would be scored and locked with no problem

Yea I'm sure post-production is done by now. I think a Christmas release makes more sense anyway. Hopefully JW can win another Oscar

And then 4 years of nothing, probably.

You seriously think Lincoln will take 4 years in post production :). It is a character film which will be out in 2012 or early 2013.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks fantastic! This is not Struzan, is it?

Hope this will be used for the CD cover.

WOW! Hope so too...! Awesome poster. :D

If this ends up being the CD cover, people might wonder whether we are teenage girls...

The poster does look a bit like something a teenage girl might have in her room, above her bed. :)

Could it be that... the target audience for this movie is the same crowd of teen girls that made Titanic the success it became? :crymore:

As expected, War Horse received a PG-13 rating by the MPAA: http://boxofficemojo...iew=mpaa&p=.htm

I see nothing about War Horse at the link you provided, but I went to http://www.filmratings.com/ and searched for War Horse and found that is is rated PG-13 for "intense sequences of war violence"

Caught this on the Empire website today (in an article on the new yawnworthy WH poster), just slipped in casually, like:

"The full trailer is going to hit screens next week, so keep your eyes peeled for that very soon."

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=32091

Can't wait!!! Start the countdown clock!!! More JW music!!!!

I bet the trailer is going to be tracked with MV-ish epic choir music or Inception like chords

Since the first one was warmly received and surely JW's music was one of its selling points, I think the original score will be featured in this one as well.

Looks fantastic! This is not Struzan, is it?

Hope this will be used for the CD cover.

WOW! Hope so too...! Awesome poster. :D

Well... what are you waiting for? ;)

Actually I did make a new one based on the official poster. Saved it on a USB I left at work... :( Will upload it tomorrow.

Very classy poster. I approve. And miles better than the weird Kingdom of the Crystal Skull one.

Lee - who'd whack SJP all over the place.

Very classy poster. I approve. And miles better than the weird Kingdom of the Crystal Skull one.

Lee - who'd whack SJP all over the place.

What about KOTCS teaser poster. Didn't you like this one?

indy4-dec11-hr_Indiana_Jones_poster.jpg

Karol