War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empire gave Attack of the Clones five stars.

It was just an example. And the reviewer later offered an apology for the AOTC review... (which in itself I find just as lame as actually giving that film 5 stars, but yeah...)

There aren't any film magazines worth reading any more. Empire (aside from Kim Newman) is dull and sycophantic, Total Film is a bit too much lad mag, Sight and Sound is full of pretentious arseholes, and it's all available in better quality on the web. I pine for the days of magazines like Cinefantastique,

There aren't any film magazines worth reading any more. Empire (aside from Kim Newman) is dull and sycophantic, Total Film is a bit too much lad mag, Sight and Sound is full of pretentious arseholes, and it's all available in better quality on the web. I pine for the days of magazines like Cinefantastique,

My thoughts exactly. I still have the Cinefantastique magazine devoted to The Silence Of The Lambs. It's awesome! ;)

Dit you know his son used to be part of Toto?

Yep, Joseph. Sang songs on the Lion King soundtrack as well. ;)

Back to the lecture at hand, according the JWFan main page, War Horse isn't going to be recorded until late March / early April. Seems impossible to me that FilmComposer518 has heard it if that's true.

Back to the lecture at hand, according the JWFan main page, War Horse isn't going to be recorded until late March / early April. Seems impossible to me that FilmComposer518 has heard it if that's true.

He probably hasn't. Read my post on the previous page.

I've heard a bunch of Tin Tin and it sounds great to me. I haven't heard any of War Horse, though I'm sure the two scores couldn't be more opposite

?

I'm not concerned about a composer doing anything revolutionary. I just want them to compose good music.

Well, you see, then KOTCS fits that description fairly well. ;)

Karol - who, inexplicably, forgot to mention CEOTTK in his previous post

I've heard a bunch of Tin Tin and it sounds great to me

what are you f*cking saying??? :eek:

I think Jason is just showing us how easy it is to say one has heard the score for Tin Tin. ;)

He's kidding :P

Seriously though, I don't care if he's lying or not. I sent him a PM and the information was pretty vague, look...

1. Tin TIn just feels like everything Williams has ever done before. There is nautical music that sounds just like Hook (except not as good), adventure music that sounds the same as Quidditch, Third Year etc. To be honest I have not experienced ALL of Tin Tin yet, but most of it. There is no Tin Tin theme that jumps out at me. It uses a lot of Accordion in parts, and that seems to be the only link to "French Music" which is just a stereotype obviously.

2. War Horse has a lot of solo lines, but not for any particular performer or instrument. The celtic music usually gets the solos...normally in clarinet, or Irish Accordion and such. The music is just more inventive than his scores have been - it's not just a retreading of stuff he has already done...there are new ideas there, and old ideas that we haven't heard since the early 80's.

For some reason, I wanna hear a new "HP1" in the sense that its similar to previous scores but new to itself.

And War Horse sounds very very encouraging, I hope he's right!

Wait. Maybe he's Conrad Pope? :lol:

I've heard a bunch of Tin Tin and it sounds great to me

what are you f*cking saying??? :eek:

I think Jason is just showing us how easy it is to say one has heard the score for Tin Tin. ;)

ah ok.

I heard it too then :P

It's likely that some sessions for War Horse have already took place last week, or even this week. Last news I had from Stephen Erdody (LA cello session player) were that sessions would take place in March (he didn't tell me the exact dates of course).

However, it's hard to believe this guy FilmComposer518. The people who work in scoring crews for major Hollywood movies have to sign confidential agreements that prevents them to leak information to the press and the web. His "reports" seems more like third-hand verbal recounts he maybe got from people who actually heard something.

The main page mentions Michael Kahn said they were supposed to commence at the end of March/beginning of April. At least that's what he said in the recent interview.

Karol

Not to detail too much but this person' s ip addresses are not from California.

My suggestion would be to relax and be patient, the fall / holiday season will be here soon enough and we can all enjoy the music once it is officially released.

If you want to PM this person, you are doing so at your own choice / risk. I would also recommend to members that they be careful and think before they post anything about the music.

However, it's hard to believe this guy FilmComposer518. The people who work in scoring crews for major Hollywood movies have to sign confidential agreements that prevents them to leak information to the press and the web. His "reports" seems more like third-hand verbal recounts he maybe got from people who actually heard something.

Conrad Pope's had released a bunch of info without apparent fear of being caught - I don't think confidentiality is a reason to reject this poster.

That said, didn't Pope confirm that there was a theme for Tintin? If so, that would seem to contradict with FilmComposer518's report that "There is no Tin Tin theme that jumps out at me." BUT he also said that he hasn't heard the entire score, so that's also not a definite reason to reject him (and I'm not sure if Pope actually said there's a Tintin theme).

Not to detail too much but this person' s ip addresses are not from California.

My suggestion would be to relax and be patient, the fall / holiday season will be here soon enough and we can all enjoy the music once it is officially released.

If you want to PM this person, you are doing so at your own choice / risk. I would also recommend to members that they be careful and think before they post anything about the music.

I can speak from personal experience that some people just want to lie about their career and who they know, just to make themselves seem important.

It's best not to trust anyone posting here blindly.

So maybe he heard the scores. If it's what he says it is, that's what I was hoping for anyways. If Williams does a "weird" score for Tintin I'd probably be disappointed

If it sounds like Harry Potter with a couple of memorable themes I'll be happy

Well, as soon as the Tintin soundtrack and the film are released we will know if the information FilmComposer518 provided us with is correct.

And if some details aren't true we will know that he made it up... just a matter of time to find out ;)

Let me tell you something about the history of FilmComposer518:

About one and a half years ago (September 2009) the guy posted this:

i need it for a film project i have been assigned in school.

I'm thinking he was hoping the last part of his message (him having professors who work in the industry) would catch fire on the board. It didn't. So a year later he returns this time with a new story to tell:

"Either way, I know that you will come up with some inane argument about how what I just said is dead wrong etc. But the fact comes down to this: I'm a film composer who has spent years in the industry

Has no one else noticed that this guy appears to claim he's in school one year, and "spent many years as a film composer" the next?

Fake. Just wait for proper reviews.

Well, as soon as the Tintin soundtrack and the film are released we will know if the information FilmComposer518 provided us with is correct.

And if some details aren't true we will know that he made it up... just a matter of time to find out ;)

But it's not like he's saying "The Unicorn's theme opens the end credits". We already have been imagining the scores would be like he describes, on our own. If it's true they are like that, which probably will be, we still can't know. Of course if he has actually heard them, good for him, but we're still in the same situation with no evidence that he has. Extraodinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Also, the school thing.

Maybe he's in graduate school? ;)

But then again, why would you be in school if you're already a successful composer who's music we already own. He's Hans Zimmer! Black smoke out to destroy Johnny's reputation!

• 1 month later...

Spielberg on the War Horse:

In response to the announcement, millions of Americans have already begun shifting their anticipation onto the tiny handfuls of culture they believe might stand a chance of being decent—such as Steven Spielberg's upcoming film War Horse—but people involved with these projects have attempted to deflect the public's attention.

"Let's not invest too much hope in my movie here, because it's really not that great," Spielberg said. "It's fine, I suppose. Like, it won't be an embarrassment for me professionally or anything, but will it be some sort of 2011-salvaging masterpiece? Oh Lord, no. That would be impossible, believe me."

Source

I'm listening to several composition of British composer Frederick Delius--he composed a lot of beautiful, melodious music inspired by the English folk traditions and countryside.

I wonder if Williams' War Horse will contain some inspiration from "folk" English composers like Delius and Percy Grainger. It's common knowledge he's a huge Anglophile and his love for British composers is quite evident.

Warhorse is Williams' best score since HP3. But prepare yourself because it's a "small" score...not like Memoirs small but Angela's Ashes small with punctuations of "big" stuff along the way. A lot of very nice string writing and a celtic sound to it.

And I should also add that it's worlds better than Tin Tin, which feels like Williams on autopilot

I've been in contact with FilmComposer518 for well over a month now and I'm convinced that he is who he says he is after all. Sorry for insinuating otherwise before, especially to FilmComposer.

Well if we can believe the description of the Warhorse score, it sounds just what I have been hoping from Williams for the last few years. :)

And we just have to wait and see if the Tintin score will be in the dreaded "autopilot" mode, whatever it in this case may mean. Treading the old paths dramatic-music and style wise or just plain bland?

I hope autopilot means good.....:unsure:

One man's autopilot is another man's masterpiece.

We've had over 40 years of Williams' music and how he approaches certain films. I expect Tintin to have a certain style and sound to it.

Yeah. Besides, his style is so defined at this point it would be almost foolish to expect a complete turning point at this stage of his career. I just want a damn John Williams score already. It's been 3 years now!

Karol