What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 hours ago, Thor said:

artworks-KbsGZnSl7MnieJVH-Oqlgtw-t500x50

While Hammer's stuff is legendary, Tim Truman did some superb music in season 5. The dreamy "Helicopter", for example, is one of the best cues ever written for the show. While his music is not yet released (a scandal!), bits and pieces have surfaced on various platforms over the years. This is a selection of some of them. We interviewed Tim Truman about this and other things over on Celluloid Tunes awhile back.

And as the soundtrack was just petering out as I wrote this, now on to something completely different, as they say:

NS0yOTQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

While Young wasn't homophonic in the way, say, Edelman is, his very transparent orchestrations and straight-to-the-core melodies make him less popular than the more striking voices of his Golden Age contemporaries. But he still did some excellent stuff; this triple-whammy soundtrack from 2012 displays that. Beyond this and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, I intend to grow my V. Young collection soon.

Is that a boot of MV?

On 28/04/2022 at 10:37 PM, bruce marshall said:

Is that a boot of MV?

The cover is fan-made, but the cues have been put out here and there over the years (including by Truman himself, if I remember correctly). So not technically a bootleg.

On 28/04/2022 at 11:40 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Hah. It was more the similarity given how his action writing style evolved and changed over time… 

Tbh, i don't think it did. The first *real* break came around 1995, y'know, when suddenly fans became really indignant about stuff like 'Sleepers'.

On 28/04/2022 at 4:30 PM, Bespin said:

It's a lot of music! :lovethis:

MjQtNzc1MC5qcGVn.jpeg

I liked this set a lot, I discovered many new music, and I like the set list, regouping sometimes somes pieces of the same form, same mood.

Listening to this set is a superb way to travel in music!

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Tbh, i don't think it did. The first *real* break came around 1995, y'know, when suddenly fans became really indignant about stuff like 'Sleepers'.

Maybe. His action style got a lot busier in the 80s, especially post Temple of Doom which is probably peak JW busy action writing! I actually notice even greater similarities with Jurassic Park action writing in one of the alternate Streets of Shanghai segments from Empire of the Sun, so maybe you’re right but they still feel far enough apart that I was surprised at the similarities.

25 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Maybe. His action style got a lot busier in the 80s, especially post Temple of Doom which is probably peak JW busy action writing! I actually notice even greater similarities with Jurassic Park action writing in one of the alternate Streets of Shanghai segments from Empire of the Sun, so maybe you’re right but they still feel far enough apart that I was surprised at the similarities.

I thought, "Ludlow" kicked of a new aera of Williams action scoring.

On 28/04/2022 at 2:15 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Jaws 2 (original album) - I'd forgotten just how out of order the original album is, but the assembly and in cue edits actually work really well.

It's the one expansion where I prefer the flow of the OST, so I made a hybrid that includes all of the music, but retains the OST order somewhat.  Much more satisfying.

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 10.17.56 AM.png

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Maybe. His action style got a lot busier in the 80s, especially post Temple of Doom which is probably peak JW busy action writing! 

I'm hard-pressed to think of one *except* TOD which fits this criteria.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

It's the one expansion where I prefer the flow of the OST, so I made a hybrid that includes all of the music, but retains the OST order somewhat.  Much more satisfying.

I certainly agree with that notion, but why are you using the artwork for JAWS 4?

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

I certainly agree with that notion, but why are you using the artwork for JAWS 4?

For years, the promo CD in circulation of Small's Jaws 4 score used the Jaws 2 teaser artwork.  That's likely why you're associating it with that.  (Maybe they used it to distance the music from the horrible film)

R-3496891-1560543651-5904.jpg

Jaws 2 had a bunch of terrific posters in its ad campaign, the sunset poster being the moodiest.

524137732_ScreenShot2022-04-30at1_30_10PM.png

The craziest is the Thai poster, which is par for the course concerning posters from that country.

jaws-2-thai-movie-poster.jpg

Yeah, new information to me. I always thought it was intrinsically tied to the plot of 4, because I've ever only owned that promo -- i.e. a shark following Brody's wife to the other side of the world (or some such thing, the plot evades me), travelling by day, night and dusk! ;)

And yes, the Thai poster is a hoot. Plenty of similar ones from Turkey too.

Danny Elfman - Mission Impossible: The Score

Danny Elfman - To Die For (OST)

Danny Elfman - Dolores Claiborne: The Deluxe Edition

Danny Elfman - The Nightmare Before Christmas OST

Nice Varèse Sarabande album which combine Original Soundtracks and re-recordings (1988).

MC01MjUzLmpwZWc.jpeg

I'll be listening to that one soon, followed by their Hollywood '94/'95/'96

I never got around to figuring out if they had any similar albums after Screen Themes, before '94

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Nice Varèse Sarabande album which combine Original Soundtracks and re-recordings (1988).

MC01MjUzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Great album and an interesting mix of classics and “what”?!

Alice In Wonderland - Danny Elfman

For me this is the last truly fantastic score that Elfman has done.

Don't get me wrong, I think large parts of Oz The Great And Powerful, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Goosebumps, Alice 2, Justice League & Dumbo are great. But none of these as a whole score top Alice In Wonderland.

I do think that Doctor Strange might top Alice and will be one of Elfman's best. I can't wait for the score! I truly hope it's a mix between Spider-Man, Sleepy Hollow, Batman & the first Dr. Strange score. 

I was about to post this album yes.

I'm currently trying to catch all of these Varèse Sarabande "compilations".

20220502_145345.jpg

I think 1999's The Phantom Menace and other Film Hits was the last one they did

Come to think of it, I'm also not sure if they did any after '96 before Phantom Menace

17 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I think large parts of Oz The Great And Powerful, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Goosebumps, Alice 2, Justice League & Dumbo are great. 

They sure aren't, not even by Elfman standards.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They did, see my pic.

That pic was not in your post when I submitted my reply

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

That pic was not in your post when I submitted my reply

I admit I cheated! :P

36 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Don't get me wrong, I think large parts of Oz The Great And Powerful, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Goosebumps, Alice 2, Justice League & Dumbo are great. But none of these as a whole score top Alice In Wonderland.

I do think that Doctor Strange might top Alice and will be one of Elfman's best. I can't wait for the score! I truly hope it's a mix between Spider-Man, Sleepy Hollow, Batman & the first Dr. Strange score. 

I think the theme is terrific and belongs among his best. And, yes, the score as a whole is quite strong. However, I do prefer Oz as an album. Flows to me much better.

Karol

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Alice is the last Elfman score I truly loved. In the decade since then, he composed some decent stuff but nothing exactly outstanding.

Not even Frankenweenie?

My favourite Elfmans of the decade were The Girl on the Train and (yes) Fifty Shades of Grey. I thought the storytelling in both was absolutely top notch. I hear a dozen new things in both each time I listen.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I'm the complete opposite. For my part, the ones you just listed are the kind of Elfman scores I don't connect to very much these days,  i.e. the big, mainstream/blockbuster stuff (even though they might have a good cue or two). Instead -- and since you used ALICE as the departure point -- I gravitate more towards things like THE NEXT THREE DAYS, RESTLESS, PROMISED LAND, THE UNKNOWN KNOWN, THE CIRCLE, DON'T WORRY HE WON'T GET FAR ON FOOT....that's where his cylinders are firing these days (plus his concert works).

That being said, I do agree with you that ALICE was his last truly great 'mainstream' effort.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Alice is the last Elfman score I truly loved. In the decade since then, he composed some decent stuff but nothing exactly outstanding.

REAL STEEL is quite good but , yeah, ALICE is classic stuff

19 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm the complete opposite. For my part, the ones you just listed are the kind of Elfman scores I don't connect to very much these days,  i.e. the big, mainstream/blockbuster stuff (even though they might have a good cue or two).

Elfman obviously in on that, as he's relying on de facto ghostwriters, sorry, *assistants* for these since years. Even a Burton score like 'Dumbo' (for a classic Disney animation remake!) sounds undistinguished and vapid now.

The Cooler - song by Mark Isham | Spotify

A forgotten little gem that got a lot of spins from me back when it came out. So good to revisit it. Being a jazz score, you know already that you're in good hands with Isham but this score also reminds of John Barry (think Playing By Heart and his superb concept album Americans from 1976) and a bit of David Holmes in the more modern sounding cues.

Pure bliss, this album. It's laid back, melodic and utterly attractive. Perfect with a glass of red wine. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Anything by Isham gets my vote. His BLUE SUN album is very good, Indeed.

Blue Sun is a truely lovely album. The piece Miles To Go... Before He Sleeps is on several of my personal jazz compilations.

It's a gorgeous recording too; warm and smooth. The Miles Davis nods are prevalent, in cue names and feel.