What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

ab67616d0000b2736de03e75ba4f9316495de195

One of the best Nordic scores of all time, and a personal favourite. Bittersweet bliss! We lost Stefan Nilsson earlier this year, much too soon -- one of the best film composers in Scandinavia of all time (who I briefly met during a seminar in Oslo 10-15 years ago). What a loss. MY LIFE AS A DOG by Isfält is also an absolutely brilliant score. This CD is a must-have for everyone.

ab67616d0000b273c8d17b987cb8c3339c449725

Screw EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE! I disliked everything (no pun intended) about that movie, including the score. This, however, is the Lott I love. Airy, funky, delicious synth textures. Alternative. Beautiful. This and THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY are what I want to hear from him.

ab67616d0000b273be9f531975e56648fa19de18

I only have this and their "Selected Works" album, but I just love his/their work. Need to explore them more. This is a haunting, delicious score from 2017, for a series I've never seen. Mostly electronic.

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I have seen the film once, a couple of years ago, but I don't remember the score at all...:unsure:

Sorry to hear it. I hope you give it another chance. It floors me every time I listen to it.

18 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ok so it’s not strictly a soundtrack but when you’ve been to the site of the ancient Olympic Games what else you gonna listen to?!

IMG_4951.jpeg

I was a sixth grade trumpet player when this came out. I listened to it constantly, and it’s still a favorite of mine from his Boston Pops output. Javelin and the Festive Overture are particularly well done.

49 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

I was a sixth grade trumpet player when this came out. I listened to it constantly, and it’s still a favorite of mine from his Boston Pops output. Javelin and the Festive Overture are particularly well done.

That’s awesome and yeah it’s a great album. The only track that doesn’t quite work is Chariots of Fire but even that is better than I remember it. I remember listening to 30 second clips of Summon the Heroes in super low quality audio during the early internet and then obviously being blown away by the sound of the real thing. It also ignited my interest in Michael Torke as if you like Javelin, you’ll likely enjoy much of his stuff, with lots of 8/10 minute pseudo minimalist (but less strict and more exuberant) orchestral tone poems that most people here would likely enjoy.

Of course I’ll always treasure being able to hear Summon the Heroes in full for the first time live performed by the LSO conducted by JW (when it wasn’t a quite so hard to get tickets for his concerts!). Still haven’t definitively confirmed if it was the first ever live performance but if it wasn’t, it was one of the first. Always annoyed that I mislaid the Radio 3 broadcast of that concert which I used to have on tape. I bet the original recording is buried in a vault somewhere at BBC towers… if anyone has access to said vault, feel free to have a rummage!

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

That’s awesome and yeah it’s a great album. The only track that doesn’t quite work is Chariots of Fire but even that is better than I remember it.

I've always liked that. I prefer it over the other arrangement he recorded earlier with the Pops (for Philips). The one track that doesn't work for me is the Bernstein, because the choir is struggling horribly (and failing) with the German lyrics. And I'm not big on Williams's version of O Fortuna, but then I think most versions of that aren't very good (although I love the good ones).

I remember listening to 30 second clips of Summon the Heroes in super low quality audio during the early internet and then obviously being blown away by the sound of the real thing. It also ignited my interest in Michael Torke as if you like Javelin, you’ll likely enjoy much of his stuff, with lots of 8/10 minute pseudo minimalist (but less strict and more exuberant) orchestral tone poems that most people here would likely enjoy.

That album was my first contact with Torke. I should check out more of his stuff. I've got one album, which also includes Javelin - I think Williams's take is slightly better.

Of course I’ll always treasure being able to hear Summon the Heroes in full for the first time live performed by the LSO conducted by JW (when it wasn’t a quite so hard to get tickets for his concerts!).

Wow. It's one of my favourite Williams pieces, and *very* high up on the list of those I'd still love to hear live someday.

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The only track that doesn’t quite work is Chariots of Fire but even that is better than I remember it.

Wow. That sounds like "And the Oscar for best blah de blah goes to.... CHARIOTS OF FIRE!"

Ok, there are parts of this that aren't terrible.

Windtalkers (expanded) by James Horner

image.jpeg

One of the most overlooked gems in Horner's illustrious career, and this score only confirms it.

The action music is surprisingly good, with a nice use of snare drums and militaristic brass that a few years later would inform Horner's music for the U.S. military the RDA from Avatar. Also there's some interesting string parts that recalled me of Williams' infamous Ludlow motif used in many scores from that time. 

But it's the emotional music where Horner shines. It's the reason why late 90s/early 2000s is my favorite Horner era: he was too melodramatic, and I loved it. The main theme gets a little repetitive after a while, but it still packs a punch on the most sad, dramatic parts. Cues like Joe Looks at Birds (all the versions), The Night BeforeInvitation to Navajo Country and, of course, the epic finale Calling to the Wind are amazing examples of Horner's melodrama from that time.

Bring on more expansions from Horner's 2000s scores?

I also heard Prisoners by Johánn Johánnsson, which is truly great. The dark suspense parts may not be my thing, but the melancholic ones really are, with some truly moving tracks like The Lord's Prayer and The Everyday Bible that are very evocative and psychologically devastating.

Besides, Jóhannsonn takes one of my favorite Horner motifs (here) and makes his own.

21 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It also ignited my interest in Michael Torke as if you like Javelin, you’ll likely enjoy much of his stuff, with lots of 8/10 minute pseudo minimalist (but less strict and more exuberant) orchestral tone poems that most people here would likely enjoy.

I've listened to quite a bit of Torke. His "colors" album/cycle "One" was particularly good. 

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That album was my first contact with Torke. I should check out more of his stuff. I've got one album, which also includes Javelin - I think Williams's take is slightly better.

Yeah, I've heard the other one (on Naxos I believe) and the climax is handled better by Williams, and the wood/brass wind performance is better from Boston.

Valentine - Don Davis

fr.jpg

Don't know if this is a bootleg or an official release. Either way, it's only a standard horror score filled with everything you'd expect: creepy high-pitched strings, fateful pianos, explosions of brass, and, on this case, some parts that remind me of Davis' Matrix scores.

Not as good as Davis' own The House on the Haunted Hill. That one is for sure one of my favorite horror scores ever.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Either way, it's only a standard horror score filled with everything you'd expect: creepy high-pitched strings, fateful pianos, explosions of brass, and, on this case, some parts that remind me of Davis' Matrix scores.

Sounds like a standard Don Davis score.

That started me thinking, Davis is brillant in this creepy and the action area. But when it comes to lyrical moments, his music never really touches me. Different for Chris Young, who manages both parts well and has great lyrical scores in his work.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

But when it comes to lyrical moments, his music never really touches me.

Could be, but his “love theme” for Neo and Trinity in Matrix, especially in Revolutions when Trinity dies, is one of the most beautiful lyrical melodies I’ve ever heard.

28 minutes ago, JTW said:

Could be, but his “love theme” for Neo and Trinity in Matrix, especially in Revolutions when Trinity dies, is one of the most beautiful lyrical melodies I’ve ever heard.

Right, that is a beautiful melody and works fine in that moment. Still I find this theme, same as the Familie theme from JP III relatively short-winded. 

:music: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea by Joe Hisaishi. Wow, this is really gorgeous, probably Hisaishi's most Hollywood-sounding fantasy score but still infused with his unique Studio Ghibli charm. It's quite broad and grand in many places which makes the lengthy album flow nicely, better than his other works actually. Delighted to finally own a copy of this, surprised it took me this long. It is a splendid disc, I can see it becoming my favourite Hisaishi album next to Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite.

Karol

37 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Arabian_Nights.jpg

I had to turn it off in the middle (I think).

I usually don't do that, but organ music for 1 voice is not my thing really..

I got to the end of this but also found it super hard work. I feel I should have read the description of the music better before I bought it as this was something of a blind buy as I think I might have passed! Definitely not what I would have expected based on the title of the film. Still, gotta love the cover art…

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm glad you're going through the ARABIAN NIGHTS thingies, filmmusic. What did you think of the Folk effort?

I liked it.

Although he doesn't compose many memorable themes generally, he has nice textures and orchestration.

Imo, TSFS is a superior score, from a superior sequel. At the very least, it dispels the notion that "the third one is the worst one".

For me, TSFS is the calm after the storm. It even shows in its colour palette - predominantly blue - as opposed to TWOK's red colour scheme.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Imo, TSFS is a superior score, from a superior sequel. At the very least, it dispels the notion that "the third one is the worst one".

For me, TSFS is the calm after the storm. It even shows in its colour palette - predominantly blue - as opposed to TWOK's red colour scheme.

So Stu killed you and took over your account!

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah the “evens rule” for Star Trek movies never worked for me. I enjoy all of them, except for V, which I enjoy, but for reasons other than quality.

All six Star Trek original crew films are great in their own way on their own terms, and as part of a larger characters’ arc.  They are also fine examples of devil may care 80s films. 

On 30/09/2023 at 4:14 AM, Holko said:

So Stu killed you and took over your account!

No, this is what happened:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952eqgnjhlbegsprts3xj

Listened today to these three wonderful scores. 

20231002_195514.jpg

Then I dipped into this praised new Zimmer score The Creator on Spotify. 

Sorry no.

Not my kind of music. I think, I understand, what people like about this kind of film music. But I can't. For me this is just like ketchup on the movie meal.

3 minutes ago, A24 said:

Very nice. Lots of muted, sombre drama strings, and heavenly female voices. 

Agreed. One of his last three great scores.

Sorry for the late response. After LA MIGLIORE OFFERTA (2013), it's EN MAI FAIS CE QU'IL TE PLAÎT (2015) and LA CORRISPONDENZA (2016).

That's right. No HATEFUL EIGHT!