What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Listening to 'A Gathering of Friends' by John Williams: Yo-Yo Ma (cello), Edwin Outwater (associate conductor), Pablo Sáinz-Villegas (guitar), Mindy Kaufman and Robert Langevin (flutes), Jessica Zhou (harp), Eric Huebner (piano).

image.jpeg

I've been listening to some Horner scores I hadn't yet discovered, by decades. So far, I've listened to a bunch of his 80's works:

Brainstorm

The Journey of Natty Gann

*batteries not included

Dad

All four of them are great scores in their own way, but perhaps my favorite is Natty Gann. I just love Horner's melodramatic style, especially when coupled with the folksy instrumentation. Also, really enjoyed parts of the surprisingly dark Brainstorm!

What other 80's Horner scores would you recommend I listen to before I move on to the 90's?

30 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

What other 80's Horner scores would you recommend I listen to before I move on to the 90's?

I would recommend Aliens and Willow.

I used to have a crush on Krull, because it was my first Horner score, but in the meantime the high pitched arrangements go a little on my nerves. It is as if Horner had the ambition to include permanently the highest notes, that you can get out of trumpets, violins and human voices.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

I've been listening to some Horner scores I hadn't yet discovered, by decades. So far, I've listened to a bunch of his 80's works:

Brainstorm

The Journey of Natty Gann

*batteries not included

Dad

All four of them are great scores in their own way, but perhaps my favorite is Natty Gann. I just love Horner's melodramatic style, especially when coupled with the folksy instrumentation. Also, really enjoyed parts of the surprisingly dark Brainstorm!

If you haven't already heard them, ST: II, ST: III, KRULL, ALIENS, AN AMERICAN TAIL, and COCOON are a must.

I've got a really soft spot for GORKY PARK, THE NAME OF THE ROSE (his bona fide magnum opus), the absolutely beautiful SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, and the the aforementioned *batteries not included.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Krull (1983)

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (1984)

Aliens (1986)
Willow (1988)

All top 10 Horners for me.

Extremely subjective, of course, but for me 5 favs from the decade are WILLOW, AN AMERICAN TAIL, ALIENS, THE LAND BEFORE TIME and THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

If it's "folksy" instrumentation from the 80s you're after, which you seemed to indicate, you could do worse than check out RASCALS AND ROBBERS: THE SECRET ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER AND HUCKLEBERRY FINN (gee, what a title!).

Cocoon might just be the ultimate representation of 80s Horner.  Absolutely essential.

I'll second Thor's recommendation of Rascals and Robbers.  It isn't as delicate and melodic as Natty Gann, but it's good fun.

Star Trek II and III are superb and should not be missed.  Battle Beyond the Stars is a must if you enjoy those.

So many great recommendations! I already know Willow, Cocoon and ST, as well as his animation works, and I really like them a lot, but I will surely check out some of the other recommendations. Thanks!

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Odd choice!

To like THE NAME OF THE ROSE, I guess you have to either weird, or me. Fortunately, I qualify on both counts :)

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's an unique score though. I hope some label will pick it up soon. It is missing from my collection.

Karol

It's available from momox for £16:93, which is pretty reasonable.

Michael Giacchino - Super 8

Wowzers, I hadn't listened to this in YEARS, and I forgot how much I liked it!  The Abrams/Giacchino collaboration was so fruitful for so long!  Shame it seems to be over (and Abrams barely makes films any more)

James Horner - Sneakers (OST album)

Wanted to listen to the old album one last time before I get the expansion.  Boy, another score I had forgotten how much I like it.  Album has great flow too!  I'm looking forward to the expansion very much!

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I still need to do a playlist for that one, removing some boring stuff here and there.

ChatGPT suggested me this selection for a short program, but I don't know the OST enough to judge it:

image.png

OS04MzUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Has some really strong tracks, some not so much. But it's a fascinating dive into early Badalamenti (the film is from 1987) that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Lynch sound.

ab67616d0000b273c20c4456ec726a107c2f4a41

One of my favourite Grusin soundtracks, even if - yes - some of the songs and tracks have a an air of hokiness about them. But it's got Chris friggin' Thompson, for Chrissakes (one of my alltime favourite singers)!  It also has "T.J.'s Theme", which are my initials and sometimes nickname, so that's cute.

ab67616d0000b273ff5743b8e66259783591f1c7

It's an uneven album, but the best parts are really good, including the typewriter ideas. Post-minimalist romanticism, which Marianelli really excelled at there, in the mid and late 2000s, before he became a bit boring eventually.

Currently listening to the 13th CD of 'The Legend of John Williams' box set, featuring music from the Oliver Stone Tryptich. Exceptional compositions that beautifully complement Oliver Stone's films.

20231202_094538.jpg

a1262616690_10.jpg

I've been on a Geffray binge ever since I discovered her score for the 2023 film SPLIT and have gone through her back catalogue on BandCamp. This 2015 film, which I presume takes place in 1994, is another great testament to her skills. Beautiful and dreamy, but keeping the playfulness that can only come from France and Jean Michel Jarre's legacy. Only 20 minutes long, but all solid.

Serra's version of Carmina Burana (I mean, why not)> still good stuff:

Love that he put his little synth pads in the background (but this is seriously good shit - Serra has some massive capacity but gets lost in that experimental nonsense):

image.jpeg

A very nice score for an underrated movie. I've heard somewhere that Jerry had to write this one in a hurry. It's a little simple, but his usual building blocks approach to scoring is compelling for the run-time of the ost.

Ny04ODE5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Johnny Pate turns 100 friggin' years old today! He's the oldest living film composer in the world. So I celebrate him by playing his most famous soundtrack (and also to honour Richard Roundtree, who passed away a few weeks ago), this awesomely funky affair from 1972, when he was already almost 50 years old.

I dunno, do you really want the full Raiders March, AND Temple of Doom end credits AND Crystal Skull end credits on the same disc?  There's a way to program highlights of those 4 scores without duplicating the main march arrangement of the main theme so many times

ab67616d0000b2732f229450f28a029b54072ebc

Classic Norwegian film from 1989 (remade abroad a few times), with a wonderful score by legends Geir Bøhren & Bent Åserud. True, some of the synth suspense cues are a bit heavy on the ear (and air), but those gorgeous oboe(?) solos are to die for, as well as some of the more explorative synth textures underwater.

And on to...

ab67616d0000b27351f59fbad20a097728a8df05

Another great effort for this 1996 Oscar-nominated film, this time a straight-up chamber ensemble score, with - again - some great woodwind writing (they're always brilliant with woodwinds).

xa8rhp3hk4qaa_600.jpg

This came out today and I had to have it. I've been wanting this music ever since I was a kid and its still sounds amazing and a perfect fit for the setting.

Each episode has its own feel, but thats what really what you can expect from the TAS universe.

ab67616d0000b27343eec6a3c193be520c19ba3d

I love how B&Å plays around with tropes in this one, including Americana when Henie gets there. A Euro/US crossover-type score that is quite lush and delightful. This was a 1995 TV documentary on the famous Norwegian figure skater and actress. One of our biggest Hollywood exports to this day.

ab67616d0000b27373e502dc3d5ae70eb3ca0256

Last B&Å for the day, this 1995 film starring Robert Mitchum, among others (always great to get Hollywood stars to do Norwegian films) is part light, part dark - sometimes relying on mid-European classical tropes, sometimes using more contemporary tonal language. Good stuff.

Amazon proposed to me today again to purchase Horners Avatar OST for 5 euros. So, I gave it another listen on Spotify. But then these pseudo etno vocals... like at "Jake's First Flight"

No sorry.

I really cannot stand this score.