What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're the one who infringed upon my copyright.

You must have read my post and travelled back in time to post yours.

You hadn't even responded yet when I posted!

ab67616d0000b2737cc463f5e4deb39afa233d7c

The beautiful, pastoral quality of this and Eyquem's WINNIE MANDELA shared the top of my 2013 list (what a year for him!), but in retrospect Jóhannsson's PRISONERS should have taken that spot instead. Regardless, it's still a fine effort indeed. Definitely top 3, at least.

ab67616d0000b27351fcde81b61fb0ad2a673547

By Dutch multimedia artist LudoWic. Cool, funky synth score for this 2019 game, but the album is too long, and it has too many tracks with fuzz and noise. Prefer the more clean-shaven synthwave tracks like "Chinatown". I don't play videogames, but they've offered some great synth scores in the last few years.

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

By Dutch multimedia artist LudoWic. Cool, funky synth score for this 2019 game, but the album is too long, and it has too many tracks with fuzz and noise. Prefer the more clean-shaven synthwave tracks like "Chinatown". I don't play videogames, but they've offered some great synth scores in the last few years.

You might like Double Dragon Neon by Jake Kaufman, then; It's free on his Bandcamp https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/double-dragon-neon

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

You might like Double Dragon Neon by Jake Kaufman, then; It's free on his Bandcamp https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/double-dragon-neon

Thanks for the tip. I've acquired LOADS of new synth game scores over the last 5 years, but didn't know that one.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Mine (still) is:

Prophecies is one of Glass' best compositions, but the entire album is a bit too much for me. Perhaps it's time to give it another chance, it's been years since I last listened to it.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The cake is completely and utterly taken by Mishima, with The Hours a close second.

Tough call, but Anima Mundi is pretty bloody great. The Qatsi trilogy scores are all worth a listen too . Koyaanisqatsi is amazing for its almost monolithic relentlessness but Powaqqatsi probably is probably my favourite as it has the greatest variety and energy. The vibrancy and almost world music influences are (honestly!) thrilling. Naqoyqatsi feels almost the most standard of the three, although Yo-Yo Ma's cello lifts the whole thing. His symphonies are worth checking out too...

Up today:

Bad Girls (Jerry) - One of those fun, tuneful and engaging Jerry scores from the 90s with enjoyable action, a super catchy main theme and a tone that doesn't take itself seriously. I'm sure some would prefer him to have revisited his grittier early western efforts, but there's plenty of them already.

On the theme of fun westerns, Blazing Saddles (John Morris) - short but sweet (so much shorter than anything by Junkie XL ;-) with the best fake Dimitri Tiomkin opening title song ever and lots of silly interludes. Almost a shame it doesn't include more actual underscore.

Atomic Journeys (John Morgan and William Stromberg) - Their atomic weapon/nuclear documentary scores are all well worth hearing. Like The Aftermath I noted previously, this is all Bernard Herrmann mannerisms but mostly without referencing anything specific. It also has some more fun, almost Elfman-esque carnival passages (no idea how they relate to the subject matter, but it's great music).

The Boy Who Could Fly (Bruce Broughton) - Apparently his birthday today and this is as good a way as any to celebrate. Broughton at his most charming and whimsical, almost Elmer Bernstein-esque at times. Absolutely lovely, although I don't think the Walkin On Air song does much for the album.

Currently on a second instalment of Bear McCreary's enjoyable music for Human Target. Very enjoyable music, but definitely needs to be broken down into smaller chunks than all three discs in one go! I get the feeling there are probably lots of recurring themes I'm not necessarily picking up on, but some nicely grandiose orchestral writing at times. Shame they've not put out any more of his Agents of SHIELD music (although I felt it dropped in quality/changed to a more standard TV style in later seasons).

5 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

His Dark Materials (Musical Anthology from Season I) by Lorne Balfe

A really nice effort from @Jurassic Shark favourite composer, lot of good theme and ideas.

Fake news!

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Naqoyqatsi feels almost the most standard of the three, although Yo-Yo Ma's cello lifts the whole thing. His symphonies are worth checking out too...

This is the one out of the three that I prefer if listening to the entire album.

ab67616d0000b273cabc00f6e2297a49476dcf66.jpeg

Some evident temp-tracking from the likes of Thomas Newman and Rachel Portman, but this is half an hour of very pleasant and touching material. Probably JNH's most inoffensive score ever.

ab67616d0000b273ce70bd35be2f72c29c84c26f

I tried to watch the new show, but had to jump ship. I like this old one, though, and have always liked Walden's twangy Americana score.

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Prophesies is one of Glass' best compositions, but the entire album is a bit too much for me. Perhaps it's time to give it another chance, it's been years since I last listened to it.

It's not enough, which is why I usually listen to the complete re-recording.

Ender's Game by Steve Jablonsky

It's epic, powerful and dark like he likes to do. Clearly one of his best work after Transformers and Pain and Gain.

The Towering Inferno(OST) by John Williams

A lot of things must already have been said so I'm just gonna say that it's to me Williams best disaster movie score and the Main Title is one of my favourite theme ever: grandiose and breathtaking.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

...Walden's twangy Americana score.

His theme from thirtysomething is cute.

3 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Towering Inferno(OST) by John Williams

A lot of things must already have been said so I'm just gonna say that it's to me Williams best disaster movie score and the Main Title is one of my favourite theme ever: grandiose and breathtaking.

No arguments, here. THE TOWERING INFERNO is top-3 JW, for me, and the Main Title is in my top-5 favourite individual JW tracks.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's not enough, which is why I usually listen to the complete re-recording.

Each has its merits.

The arrangements on the ost are better than the film versions.

But, some great cues didn't make it.

So I have both!😍

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The cake is completely and utterly taken by Mishima, with The Hours a close second.

MISHIMA is his best dramatic score, by FAR!

Next is CANDYMAN.

29 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Each has its merits.

The arrangements on the ost are better than the film versions.

But, some great cues didn't make it.

So I have both!😍

What do you mean? Does the OST have different arrangements than the film? I was talking about Glass' own expanded re-recording. I like the OST as well, which is why I (also?) have both.

I mean the ost/LP.

Versus the film track with some sound fx.

The versions of THE GRID and  PROPHECIES are shorter and better. In the film they loop it to extend the length.

I never heard the rerecorded version.

I assume that added RESOURCE and the

music before that

Only The film has SLOW PEOPLE , one of my favorite tracks

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What do you mean? Does the OST have different arrangements than the film? I was talking about Glass' own expanded re-recording. I like the OST as well, which is why I (also?) have both.

From what I can recall, the OSTs for at least Koyaanis and Powaq have very different mixes compared to what appear in the film, in addition to being edited down. Haven't given either album a proper listen to fully say how it affects the general feel of the music, but the few bits I sampled definitely stood out in terms of how each instrument is emphasized.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Alan Silvestri - Back to the Future....

A Quickie!

image.png

BTTF is a strange beast. I like the scores for II, and III, very much, but, when it comes to I, I'm very happy with the MCA 1985 release, and I can dovetail The Power Of Love, Time Bomb Town, and Back In Time.

X'mas Collections music from BRAVELY DEFAULT

nope, nope nope.  Not good at all.  There's nothing here I'd want to hear again, other than one track, Yuzo Koshiro's interpretation of Under a Hollow Moon.  That one was OK

I Dreamed of Africa (Maurice Jarre) - One of Jarre's fine later scores where he seemed to return to his symphonic roots. Jarre doesn't make a huge effort to effortless mesh his style with African musical tropes, but somehow it all works.

The Day of the Locust (John Barry) - Slightly odd John Barry score, albeit with a prototypical Barry theme that is somewhat less memorable than his best.

Human Target (Bear McCreary) - Second disc, more of McCreary's super enjoyable and surprisingly symphonic scoring for a TV show that appears to have escaped standard, low budget TV scoring.

Living in the Age of Airplanes (James Horner) - terrifically uplifting score for the National Geographic documentary. A super mix of his late concert works, a bit of the Avatar chorus and just general awe and wonder.

Brainstorm (James Horner) - equal parts unsettling and beautiful, one of Horner's early classic scores. While I would buy an expanded release of the original tracks (it's a re-recording by the LSO, right?), it's one of those perfectly formed albums.

The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur) - I have no idea why I haven't listened to this score far more often. Shearmur is such a great talent, it's a shame he seems to have almost disappeared. I always considered it as a companion to David Arnold's The Musketeer but somewhat darker and perhaps a bit less flamboyant (albeit plenty grandiose). Terrific stuff.

James Horner - Deep Impact (OST)

I don't think I've heard this album in 23 years.  I remember picking it up excitedly in 1998, the next score from the master who just gave us Titanic, and not really liking it and never listening to it much.  I listened to Mask of Zorro from 2 months later significantly more.

Re-evaluating it now, it's pretty good! It has more action-y material than I remembered, and the broody moodiness of the middle of the album is pretty good.  I like the choir in the final track

The Wedding is a nice track. I also like Godspeed.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Brainstorm (James Horner) - equal parts unsettling and beautiful, one of Horner's early classic scores. While I would buy an expanded release of the original tracks (it's a re-recording by the LSO, right?), it's one of those perfectly formed albums.

The OST is, in fact, a rerecording. It was recorded direct to two-track, which accounts for its vibrancy. It's my #1 Horner score.

Danny Elfman - Charlotte's Web (OST album)

I don't think I'd ever heard this before.  It's pretty nice!  Nothing that's set the world on fire or would be considered to be one of Elfman's best, but it's perfectly pleasant and a nice concise album.  Even the songs by Dakota Fanning and Sarah Mclachlan are fine

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur) - I have no idea why I haven't listened to this score far more often. Shearmur is such a great talent, it's a shame he seems to have almost disappeared. I always considered it as a companion to David Arnold's The Musketeer but somewhat darker and perhaps a bit less flamboyant (albeit plenty grandiose). Terrific stuff.

I used to almost exclusively drop An Invitation to the Ball in my playlist, but there's certainly more good stuff in the score.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The Wedding is a nice track. I also like Godspeed.

The OST is, in fact, a rerecording. It was recorded direct to two-track, which accounts for its vibrancy. It's my #1 Horner score.

Yeah, the Brainstorm album sounds great! I'd still be interested in hearing the original tracks. Kinda like with The Fury where JW re-recorded in London with a bigger orchestra.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I used to almost exclusively drop An Invitation to the Ball in my playlist, but there's certainly more good stuff in the score.

That is a great track, and yes, there is plenty else. It's got so much drama in it. The thematic material is good, if not as memorable as Arnold's for The Musketeer (which I also gave a spin and enjoyed, although as with a lot of that period Arnold, it's a bit OTT) but still enjoyable. Will have to listen again and get into it some more.

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I've listened to this twice now and really couldn't get into it...  not sure if I'm missing something.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur) - I have no idea why I haven't listened to this score far more often. Shearmur is such a great talent, it's a shame he seems to have almost disappeared.

I just listened to the LP of BRAINSTORM. I would definitely go for a reissue on CD😁.

COUNT is sensational!

I have the CD which, unfortunately, seems to be very rare and expensive