What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Give it another chance, @GerateWohl.

It's a subtle, yet fine score, from a quietly great film. It's easily top 5 JNH, for me.

Probably I should watch the movie before I give it another listen. That helps sometimes to get a better access to a score. But I must confess all in all I heard more JNH scores I don't care about than scores of him that I really like. But those that I like, I actually adore. 

R-810610-1161122314.jpeg.jpg

Always found this to be one of TD's most underrated efforts. Very 70s Pink Floyd-ian at times, and even the song is great (even though the vocal performance is weird).

16 hours ago, AC1 said:

81Xdrsrs6VL._SL1200_.jpg

This recording is unusual as it actually sounds like you're attending a live performance of an orchestra. It has that same, rather distant, natural sound. I listen to this score every 5 years. 

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/115950

It's very dynamic.

R-12239933-1531197331-1777.jpeg.jpg

Always been in love with Newman's synth efforts from the 80s and early 90s. This is certainly up there among them (other favs would be LESS THAN ZERO, DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN, MAKING MR. RIGHT, WELCOME HOME ROXY CARMICHAEL, THOSE SECRETS and JOSH & SAM). Very glad it finally got a release a few years back. Wish he returned to this style at some point.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

MAKING MR. RIGHT

I’ve heard (and love) all of those you mention, except this one. What’s it like?

2 hours ago, LSH said:

I’ve heard (and love) all of those you mention, except this one. What’s it like?

Basically like all the others. If you like one, you'll like them all.

Returning to my pile of CDs

Thomas Newman - Road To Perdition

Woah.  This was great!  I had somehow never heard this score at all before (and only saw the film, once, in theaters 19 years ago).

Newman tends to have this warm piano sound in a lot of his scores that I really like.  But everything was good here.

Well, except the source tracks that show up in between the score tracks instead of appearing at the end as bonus tracks. BLECH!  They were all terrible and completely ruined the flow

James Newton Howard - The Devil's Advocate

Pretty neat and moody JNH score with a cool highlight track ("Geddes/Weaver")

The source cues intermixed (Michael Lang and Virgil Fox) were actually not obtrusive and fit right in.

The three dialogue tracks were atrocious and completely unnecessary and unwanted; Luckily they are entirely placed before and after the score tracks

John Ottman - The Usual Suspects

Well that was more interesting and diverse than I was expecting.  It's actually pretty decent.

There's some temp-track love though; Track 2 is straight out of Jerry Goldsmith's action territory (Alien I think), track 13 reminded me of.... something I couldn't quite place, and the Sneakers drums were in a couple tracks too

Once again there's a trend with the 3 random scores I picked off the pile today: this one also features a source track and not only Ottman's score; It's a Debussy piece that's the final track so doesn't really get in the way

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Returning to my pile of CDs

Thomas Newman - Road To Perdition

Woah.  This was great!  I had somehow never heard this score at all before (and only saw the film, once, in theaters 19 years ago).

Newman tends to have this warm piano sound in a lot of his scores that I really like.  But everything was good here.

Well, except the source tracks that show up in between the score tracks instead of appearing at the end as bonus tracks. BLECH!  They were all terrible and completely ruined the flow

My fave TN score.

As usual, his assembly is terrible and the score needs pruning.

But, great score and film ( with Daniel Craig in his first big role!)

On 3/13/2021 at 6:10 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

They could certainly have cut it down to two CDs by leaving the original album off. You would complain.

No. I bought it for that!😁

ab67616d0000b27352c841e6693b5b1a44de69ed

Was such a big fan of Illaramendi in the 2000s (well, still am). I have a string of his scores between 1999 and this one from 2013. Love those goosebump-inducing, melancholic, pastoral, warm cues that he always does so well. But since then, I haven't really noticed any of his scores on that level. I wonder what happened?

ab67616d0000b27308908a473e09b8fd8a07c844

Not generally a fan of horror game scores, but this one from 2018 is great. Has some of that 'delicious darkness' thing going on. Between this and BIOSHOCK, Schyman has long since established himself as one of the foremost composers in the game industry. I met him at an event a few years ago.

3 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Aquaman by Rupert Gregson-Williams

It's quite okay, though there's nothing much fancy apart from the funny Aquaman's riff.

This score is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, lol. Unfortunately the album is missing a lot of music from the film. I hope someone find the bootleg with the complete score one day.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

This score is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, lol. Unfortunately the album is missing a lot of music from the film. I hope someone find the bootleg with the complete score one day.

I found The Deluxe Edition pretty much enough with its 100 minutes but sure expansions are always welcomed...

Astérix et le Secret de la Potion Magique by Philippe Rombi

A fun score from a fun french animated movie with a very nice orchestration.

36 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The play is called THE MADNESS OF GEORGE III, but it was changed, because the studio thought that people might ask "What happened to GEORGE I, and GEORGE II? :lol:

I look forward to the prequels.

Currently listening to Fimucité 6 - Diego Navarro and the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra. A nice mix of scores, from relatively obvious JW choices (ET, Jurassic Park, Jaws) but some scores many here would pick but lots of programmers wouldn't like Conan, the Land Race from Far & Away, Airport, the end credits from An American Tail (nice change from Somewhere Out There, lovely though it is. Mostly decent performances - although more enthusiasm over polish - and acceptable, if not great, recording and only occasional audience noise.

El Orfanato - Fernando Velázquez

Wonderfully oldfashioned melodic romantic gothic movie score. Didn't see the movie, but somehow I was inspired to listen to it after I was so caught by the soundtrack of The Others from Alejandro Anemabar. I don't remember the exact connection anymore. 

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

El Orfanato - Fernando Velázquez

Wonderfully oldfashioned melodic romantic gothic movie score. Didn't see the movie, but somehow I was inspired to listen to it after I was so caught by the soundtrack of The Others from Alejandro Anemabar. I don't remember the exact connection anymore.

My only advice would be watch it, this movie is absolutely amazing!

The Artist by Ludovic Bource

Another french movie score, lot of good materials although it shouldn't have won against War Horse. Anyway I really like those Bource's old fashioned scores especially the OSS 117 ones a shame he didn't write more than this.

Windtalkers (James Horner) - I seem to remember this having a fairly lacklustre reputation, but enjoying it much more than I recall. Not his most thematically memorable score but some decent action and well wrought, dramatic cues.

An almost perfect score, of highest musical caliber (the main theme is practically an impressionist daydream) for this 1984 French colonial desert epos by Alain Corneau. Sarde may not be everyone's cup of tea, and he has a Horner-like fascination with his own back catalogue, but given what passes as great fil music these days, you will listen with mouth agape what  was just one of the also-ran scores in 1984.

I don't have FORT SAGANNE, but I think you're right when you say he's not everyone's cup of tea. He's very hit and miss to me. Love stuff like TESS and the Lautner collaborations (a must-have compilation, btw), but never been enamoured with PIRATES or MUSIC BOX, for example. Some of it can be broad and beautiful, some things can be quite detached and "cold".

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

HERRMANN

20210316_165006.jpg

Sorry to quote myself, but I have really a crush for this score. It's poetic, it evoke the sea, it's a great great great discovery. I will try to listen to the original version too.

33 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Sorry to quote myself, but I have really a crush for this score. It's poetic, it evoke the sea, it's a great great great discovery. I will try to listen to the original version too.

It's my favourite Herrmann too. I have the same one as you have, which is the best version, IMO.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's my favourite Herrmann too. I have the same one as you have, which is the best version, IMO.

It's like a better version (so far better) than "The Sea" (La mer) of Claude Debussy.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I bought the CD of AVATAR, in December, 2009. It is still in its cellophane wrapper.

That's good. So in case one that one of your other actually in use jewel cases gets a scratch or breaks you have a flawless replacement. And you can use the CD for a tiggling chair or table.