What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

ab67616d0000b273daad49be6a05b29545b5225b

Gorgeous, dreamy score -- one of my absolute favourite scores of 2017. Shame Forget hasn't been on that level since. Here's my review (as channelled through Google Translate), for anyone interested.

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I also recently bought the blu, but it isn't released before June.

What blu-ray isn't released before June? Dangerous Liaisons? It's been around for ages...

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm talking about a Scandinavian release with Scandinavian subtitles. 

Ah, I see.

By the way, I love the movie too but haven't bought it yet in the hope of a new 4k scan, and/or possibly a UHD of it.

This year would be an excellent opportunity for its 35th anniversary!

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Ah, I see.

By the way, I love the movie too but haven't bought it yet in the hope of a new 4k scan, and/or possibly a UHD of it.

This year would be an excellent opportunity for its 35th anniversary!

The blu might be from a new scan, I don't know. 

I think I've listened to TFA three times since it came out (my fav of the sequels), TLJ twice and TROS once. I know, STAR WARS fans....crazy, innit? I hope to spend more time with each of them eventually, but there's so much else to listen to, and they are a bit too all-over-the-place for my taste these days. I haven't felt any need to listen to them over and over again. But I'll get to it, no doubt.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I think I've listened to TFA three times since it came out (my fav of the sequels), TLJ twice and TROS once. I know, STAR WARS fans....crazy, innit? I hope to spend more time with each of them eventually, but there's so much else to listen to, and they are a bit too all-over-the-place for my taste these days. I haven't felt any need to listen to them over and over again. But I'll get to it, no doubt.

That would just throw you into an unresolvable conflict. The score of The Last Jedi is wonderful. But The OST is a mess. This score doesn't really bloom on the album. It really works best in C&C. 

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So many wonderfully scored scenes in that movie... Rey's Journey, A New Alliance, all the Ahch-To material and especially The Spark.

The Spark! JW should expand it into a symphony. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I think I've listened to TFA three times since it came out (my fav of the sequels), TLJ twice and TROS once. I know, STAR WARS fans....crazy, innit?

Not really.

You've listened to TFA, TLJ, and TROS each once more than I have.

These scores leave me cold. I never liked TFA as a film, and I wouldn't soil anyone's eyes by posting about TROS. Even TLJ is losing its allure at a rate of knots.

People shouldn't try to recapture something that they clearly moved on from, donkey's years ago.

Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac. A little voice inside said "Don't look back, you can never look back".

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To be honest, I'd rather spend time with women.

Well, there's a lot of great female composers out there, from classics like Rachel Portman and Anne Dudley, newer revelations like Natalie Holt and Germaine Franco and newcomer Emily Bear, who is younger than the first Harry Potter movie (!).

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm going to say something that a lot of JWfaners might find hard to believe.

Here goes:

love the score for INTERSTELLAR.

There, I said it.

It is Zimmer's best, by a country mile.

It is an example of Zimmer at his absolute best, I agree. He actually added another layer to the film and helped it overcome some of its difficulties. I first experienced it in the IMAX cinema, as the music release was delayed by weeks, and it was a really enchanting experience. 

Karol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Tell me more.

Franco used to be part of John Powell's team. Recently, she was nominated for an Oscar for her score for the Disney animated musical Encanto. I saw that movie a few days ago on the plane, and what I could hear from the score was pretty decent, a typically Powellian kiddie animated score but with some Latin American influences. I wanted to hear the album, but I didn't care for the Lin-Manuel Miranda songs. They have fun melodies, but the lyrics are very uninspired.

Emily Bear is a very young composer (she was born in 2001) who was a musical prodigy and recently wrote her first score for a big deal movie, a family adventure about a dog that goes missing that was released on Netflix. I haven't listened to it yet, but it got some pretty decent reviews among the film music community.

:music: E.T. Listening to the complete Matessino programme as presented on the Mondo release (I assume it's the same as LLLs vinyl from a couple of years ago?). Quite a brilliant presentation in any case. I love how the score is broken up in exactly the same way as the live to picture concerts. The liner notes aren't quite as interesting but it's still great to have this.

Karol

The Final Conflict (Jerry) - one of those scores I don’t listen to enough but partly due to generally thinking it has poor sound. While it’s not perfect it’s definitely a lot better than I remembered and the score itself is a masterpiece that effectively mixes some of the demonic mass of the first two movies with more religioso material that leads to the full on biblical epic finale which just explodes like Jerry channeling Miklos Rozsa at his finest.

As a comparison (more for the sound as much as anything) I gave the suite that appears as one of the Tadlow Blue Max B sides (as it were) and while the sound is definitely better you can’t beat the original performance by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, even if it’s essentially a London pickup orchestra. My only quibble would be that I’d probably swapped out Trial Run (which is somewhat in incidental) for the Hunt (an obvious choice!) and/or the Monastery to include some of the more low key religious material. A minor quibble as that collection remains one of my favourite film music suites and themed albums (especially adding in the couple of tracks from their earlier Salamander recording which fit perfectly alongside the rest). I hope they might do more, particularly for composers who are sorely under represented when it comes to re-recordings of suites and themes like Basil or Christopher Young.

B79702F3-D9DC-4076-AC8B-FB537756BB00.jpeg

19 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

you can’t beat the original performance by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, even if it’s essentially a London pickup orchestra.

That's the National Philharmonic Orchestra (as I'm sure you know).

19 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

My only quibble would be that I’d probably swapped out Trial Run (which is somewhat in incidental) for the Hunt (an obvious choice!) and/or the Monastery to include some of the more low key religious material.

If it weren't for The Hunt, the sublime The Monastery would probably be my pick of standout track from this score.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's the National Philharmonic Orchestra (as I'm sure you know).

Quite right! Annoyingly I even looked it up to check, but clearly my brain translated National into London somehow…

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If it weren't for The Hunt, the sublime The Monastery would probably be my pick of standout track from this score.

I think it was cure like the Monastery, which I’d forgotten how good they were. Obviously the opening titles, the hunt and the epic finale are all obvious classic tracks, but the rest is great too. Going to have to give it another listen I think.

Was just listening to Creed score on vinyl and thought to myself "this is way more sombre than I recall". Only after 30 minutes I realised that I was playing it at slower speed. That training montage was, shall we say, less than inspirational. :lol:

Karol

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets

I really love this score!  It was nice to revisit it again after a while.  My only issue with it is that it has no real ending, it just stops.  I know this is because the film ends with a pop song for its final moment instead of score, but I wish Desplat had written something for the album to fill its place anyway

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I really love this score!  It was nice to revisit it again after a while.  My only issue with it is that it has no real ending, it just stops.  I know this is because the film ends with a pop song for its final moment instead of score, but I wish Desplat had written something for the album to fill its place anyway

Have you tried playing the pop song?

I would have heard it once when I listened to my physical CD edition of the score.  I don't remember it.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Indeed. It's top-drawer Desplat.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Have you tried playing the pop song?

Fuck the pop song. It's the score you need to listen to.