What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I had a really good night at work last night!  I'm really liking this "Indiana Broughton" mix I tried through the shift:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark (Williams)

Lost In Space (Broughton)

Rescuers Down Under (Broughton)

Temple Of Doom (Williams)

Towards the end of the shift, when one of my coworkers offered to finish the order-picking for me so I could go home early, it was right when I got to the last half-hour of ToD.  I declined the offer and picked the hell out of those last few orders.

5 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I'm really liking this "Indiana Broughton" mix...

How about "Lost In Williams"?

Sister Sledge could sing the theme song :lol:

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It’s the LSO. They survived the experience. 

I've always wondered why the LSO recorded six Star Wars scores, but only one Indiana Jones score.

26 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

How about "Lost In Williams"?

Sister Sledge could sing the theme song :lol:

John Williams, Bruce Broughton, and Christopher Lennertz walk into a bar.

They soon found themselves in an escape pod, and are now... hopelessly lost in space.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've always wondered why the LSO recorded six Star Wars scores, but only one Indiana Jones score.

Actually, not only ROTLA is the only Indy score to be recorded with the LSO but also the only Spielberg score as well. Apparently, it was a George Lucas thing.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I just realized that the latest oscar winning score that I own as an album is Atonement. And I feel no need to change that.

:nono:

The Hateful Eight by Ennio Morricone?

The Life of Pi by Michael Danna?

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

:nono:

The Hateful Eight by Ennio Morricone?

The Life of Pi by Michael Danna?

I have never forgiven The Hateful Eight beating The Force Awakens.

But I have to admit, Life of Pi might be worth checking out. But The score didn't catch my attention at watching the movie.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I never really warmed up to that score.

It is a slow burner. And I cannot tell, If it was worth an academy award. But in the meantime I really enjoy it.

The only Academy Award winning scores I own on CD are

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Fiddler on the Roof

Jaws

The Omen

Star Wars

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Dances with Wolves

Schindler's List

Titanic

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Up

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Hateful Eight

Dune

I recommend (at least) the following additions to your collection:

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Now, Voyager

Spellbound

Sunset Boulevard

A Place in the Sun

Ben-Hur

Porgy and Bess (featuring JW)

Exodus

Lawrence of Arabia

Born Free

The Lion in Winter

The Goodfather Part 2 (when it gets a proper release)

Out of Africa

Finding Neverland

The Artist

Joker (kidding!)

15 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Really?

I just bought it after contemplating it for years. I need to justify my purchase.

15 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I would rather recommend The Sting. It's quite good.

I've got it but almost never listen to it - and I do like Joplin. Isn't the sound quality quite bad?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got it but almost never listen to it - and I do like Joplin. Isn't the sound quality quite bad?

Compared to other Joplin recordings, that I listened to, I find it quite good.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Can you recommend a recording?

Or do you just play them yourself?

I've got a few recordings, but none I'm really satisfied with. I should research this more! I've only played Maple Leaf and Entertainer myself.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got a few recordings, but not one I'm really satisfied with. I've only Maple Leaf and Entertainer myself.

I practiced The Entertainer for weeks and my family got terribly annoyed.

But Maple Leaf is great.

On 31/03/2023 at 3:32 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Madagascar 1, 2 & 3

I've made a playlist for myself with only the Zimmer cues from each score. And while it's not high art or anything I find it a very fun listen.

Madagascar is one of the only movie series I can think of where the third movie is by far the best of the three. (Damn. I saw the thread about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban right before I posted this.)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score is great, and I really liked the show, even if it was a bit TWIN PEAKS lite.

It was, and it's reflected in some of Sakamoto's Badalamenti-like textures (only a PLUS in my book....just to make that clear). But I remember loving the show at the time, and digging that whole VR aspect. There was another show around the same time, called VR5, which I also watched and sometimes confuse with this show. Decent Frizzell score on that one.

:music: The Fly II, Drag Me to HellHellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II by Christopher Young. Devilishly good stuff. God, I really miss this kind of music in horror movies. It's so elegant.

karol

38 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Fly II, Drag Me to HellHellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II by Christopher Young. Devilishly good stuff. God, I really miss this kind of music in horror movies. It's so elegant.

karol

Funnily enough I had a listen to the original Hellraiser earlier today having been listening to Old Harry’s Game on 4Extra (a surprisingly funny satirical sitcom about Satan…) where they use Young’s music for the main theme and incidentally throughout the show. Great score though. Will give the sequel a listen later. 

Such a charming score and a shame he didn’t return for the sequel (notwithstanding than Dario Marianelli's score is lovely too). I’m guessing it’s more likely Marianelli will come back for the third movie which was recently announced. Either way, look forward to it. The first two are great. 

B822C8E4-166E-4E4D-8F69-212BFF8FFF48.jpeg

why the fuck cunt's these dumbass americans just look at letters in order and write them in the same order? Front cover of an official release, jeez, HAVE SOME STANDARDS

:music: Interstellar by Hans Zimmer. Definitely one of his finest works. I remember having an instant emotional reaction to this score. After a decade of relentless ostinatos, it came as a real surprise to have such an emotional and almost spiritual experience in a Nolan film. It's not necessarily all gold but I think he really nailed it dramatically. And it works great on an album as well.

Karol