What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Oceans_eleven_FYC.jpg

I'm not into this kind of music, but I listened to it nonetheless, to take ideas for a possible project.

What is this music called? Funk?

Also, does anyone recommend any score that is considered great in this vein?

@Thor?

(I'm asking Thor because I know he hears modern soundtracks too, but anyone is welcomed to reply if he has any idea).

One of my favorite scores!

You really need both the OST album and FYC to get the whole picture, since "Gritty Shaker", "A Little Less Conversation Remix", and "Claire De Lune" are essential parts of the musical tapestry as much as Holmes' original score, IMO.  Though the dialogue on the OST is terrible so I'm so grateful we got the FYC

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

One of my favorite scores!

Really?

I saw some comments at youtube which were saying how great this soundtrack is, but I couldn't get into it or see it.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Really?

Definitely!  Love the movie too

2 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

You just got no groove! ;)

He'll have to find a new groove.

FILMMUSIC'S NEW GROOVE :lol:

If you don't like Holmes' OCEAN'S ELEVEN, then you won't like either OCEAN'S TWELVE, or OCEAN'S THIRTEEN, which is a shame, as they both contain great tracks.

12 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I'm not into this kind of music, but I listened to it nonetheless, to take ideas for a possible project.

What is this music called? Funk?

Also, does anyone recommend any score that is considered great in this vein?

@Thor?

(I'm asking Thor because I know he hears modern soundtracks too, but anyone is welcomed to reply if he has any idea).

Dig the OCEAN'S scores, including Pemberton's for 8. You might also want to check out KING OF THIEVES (Wallfisch), THE MAN FROM UNCLE (Pemberton again), MAD MEN: ON THE ROCKS (Carbonara, more loungey), DOLEMITE IS MY NAME (Bomar) or LET THEM ALL TALK (Newman, again more loungey).

You could of course also go back to the "classics" of yesteryear. You know Hayes, Mayfield, Budd, Schifrin, Q etc. Or even John Williams ("New Shooter" and "Neptune's Bar" on CINDERELLA LIBERTY).

Yeah, the score is rock solid. Probably one of the most underappreciated works by JNH.

I've listened to these in the past couple of days:

Young Sherlock Holmes

The Amazing Spider-Man

Scream 2

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Poltergeist

Lincoln

And the second Violin Concerto by John Williams which is really growing on me.

Karol

The Happening is not good, but it's 2001: A Space Odyssey when compared with The Last Airbender, which is Shyamalan's lowest point and one of the worst movies in the history of cinema.

I feel that I can and, also, cannot, comment, on THE LAST AIRBENDER.

I tried to watch it, but I gave up, after 15 minutes. I've no idea how the film progresses, and I don't want to. All I know is, what I did see was dog shite.

The movie is indeed atrocious, which is unfortunate because the animated series it was based on is wonderful. Certainly one of the best animated shows of all time, so good that it should be watched not just by kids but also by older folk as well. 

I'd say it's better than 90% of those very expensive fantasy shows for adults in streaming platforms (like The Witcher, The Rings of Power, The Wheel of Time, etc).

But it certainly didn't need a live-action adaptation - and still doesn't, a lesson that Netflix failed to learn. Sometimes an animated masterpiece should remain animated.

The scene where they attempt to outrun the wind is possibly the worst scene in modern day movie history from a movie that's not on Lifetime or Hallmark channel.

I thought m nights bad run started with lady in the water and placing himself as the character that writes a book that changes the history of the world. Anyone should have seen the happening coming.

Apparently his newer stuff is good though! I'm glad he's making good stuff again!

You're allowed to have shit movies as a director. Just as long as you got some good ones.

Elmer doing his old fashioned epic thing on his final score* for a documentary about the director who gave him his biggest break (and Victor Young being unwell). Quite strident for a documentary, but guess anything less wouldn't really be true to the spirit of DeMille. Have to admit that his movies aren't really my cup of tea, although they did give rise to the best Hollywood catering company name ever... Cecil B DeMeals. Genius.

*I always thought his last score was Far From Heaven - and probably will continue to think of as his last effort as it's such a perfect title for a final effort, even for a total non-believer like myself.

image.png

2 minutes ago, Brónach said:

i wonder if someday i'll be a serial discographist like you

Do you have a lot of time and money to waste?

Whatever you expect the fourth Omen score to sound like will probably be wrong unless you expect a mix of Bernard Herrmann and Carl Stalling... It's quite enjoyable music on its own terms but nothing that really gives it away as a score to an Omen movie and it leaps across quite wild stylistic gaps albeit remarkably not sounding all that disjointed. If I remember correctly, the actual horror in the film were tracked with music from Jerry's scores for the first three, which would partly explain why Sheffer's score is so uncharacteristic given the subject matter.

image.png

I like that score. I also dig Sheffer's work on PURE LUCK, alongside Elfman. What happened to him, btw? What's he up to these days?

:music: Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams. Easily one of composer's finest, the album flows effortlessly from start to finish. It is sort of the antidote to Pirates of the Caribbean from the same year. It is mad to think the film and score will turn 20 next month!

Karol

Agent Cody Banks by John Powell

It's a score that mixes Powell's cartoon hijinks with typical David Arnold-Bond music, which means that it's a close cousin to Bolt and a less serious version of Paycheck (which wasn't exactly too "serious" anyway). It's all very silly, which I imagine it's by design - I mean, it's one of those crap 2000s family movies with a ridiculous premise. Still, the action music is terrific (particularly close to the end) and everything is overall very fun. 

If you dig Powell's mid-2000s action scores you'll dig this.

Blame GPT Chat for this playlist; I asked it to create a playlist using the music from the key scenes of the movie! :lol:

:music: Kong: Skull Island by Henry Jackman. I used to think this score was a letdown at the time but now I reckon it is actually really clever. Much like Desplat's Godzilla, it manages to combine the requirements of modern post-TDK world with the touch of Golden Age glamour. It might seem surprising but Jackman provided the most memorable theme for Kong out of all of them (I am actually being serious), skilfully addressing various conflicting aspects of the character. The other thematic material for Monarch is also cleverly incorporated. Shame I didn't like this movie one bit.

Karol

43 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Kong: Skull Island by Henry Jackman. I used to think this score was a letdown at the time but now I reckon it is actually really clever. Much like Desplat's Godzilla, it manages to combine the requirements of modern post-TDK world with the touch of Golden Age glamour. It might seem surprising but Jackman provided the most memorable theme for Kong out of all of them (I am actually being serious), skilfully addressing various conflicting aspects of the character. The other thematic material for Monarch is also cleverly incorporated. Shame I didn't like this movie one bit.

Karol

Now I'll have to give it a spin. I love Jackman, but he is versatile to the point of being able to make scores that don't connect with me at all. :) (I've tried to love Captain America: Civil War! I've TRIED!)

I enjoyed the film. It's my second favorite of the New Monster movies after King of Monsters. I hated Godzilla / Kong sooooo much.