Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

3 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Hmm, is there much else from TPM that never surfaced in video games? All I can think of is the film version of Augie's Great Municipal Band. I'd be thrilled if there's any chance the opening of 6M11 End of Darth Maul or especially the original 7M1 After The Victory were recorded.

As far as we're aware the only other thing missing is, as you said, the film version of Augie's. Personally I doubt the original 6M11 or 7M1 were recorded, but would love to be proven wrong!

I feel certain the beginning of End of Darth Maul was recorded. If you listen to the beginning of the material used in the film and UE, you can kinda hear a bit of the reverb tail from the previous note. To my knowledge, that's the one bit of TPM that hasn't surfaced anywhere in any form at all.

11 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I feel certain the beginning of End of Darth Maul was recorded. If you listen to the beginning of the material used in the film and UE, you can kinda hear a bit of the reverb tail from the previous note. To my knowledge, that's the one bit of TPM that hasn't surfaced anywhere in any form at all.

I noticed that too. It'd be odd if they consistently left that part out of every single video game.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I noticed that too. It'd be odd if they consistently left that part out of every single video game.

Meh, it could happen. It's more amazing to me how much did get included in the various games.

If they didn't see a use for it, they wouldn't put it in for the heck of it (though if they did then I think it would have shown up in TOR given most of the remaining Prequel music did apart from one or two cues)

Just as a reminder, we thought for years that the original opening to Battle of the Heroes wasn't recorded, until it showed up in that Abbey Road documentary. We know certain passages weren't recorded because they were struck through on the sheets. That section of The End of Maul isn't one of them.

6 hours ago, Giftheck said:

If they didn't see a use for it, they wouldn't put it in for the heck of it (though if they did then I think it would have shown up in TOR given most of the remaining Prequel music did apart from one or two cues)

Just as a reminder, we thought for years that the original opening to Battle of the Heroes wasn't recorded, until it showed up in that Abbey Road documentary. We know certain passages weren't recorded because they were struck through on the sheets. That section of The End of Maul isn't one of them.

How about that one small section in the middle of 3m2 - Are You A Jedi?  Was that part crossed out?

I should clarify that when I initially replied for whatever reason my mind went to the cut section of "Blowups", not the cut opening of 6M11-New. 6M11-New I'm inclined to believe was recorded; not only is there clearly a tail of reverb at the beginning that we have, but the cue log lists the runtime as 1:41, whereas the recording we have now is about 1:30.

• 2 months later...

Do we think the Battlefront re-releases will have easier access to some unreleased stuff? IIRC there was some stuff in the cutscenes?

2 hours ago, Faleel said:

Do we think the Battlefront re-releases will have easier access to some unreleased stuff? IIRC there was some stuff in the cutscenes?

Most likely it'll be the same as the original release. Or they'll change all the music and strictly use the OST's

4 hours ago, Faleel said:

Most likely going to be exactly the same since the cutscenes were pre-rendered, so I doubt the source files for those still exist.

Only thing we can hope for is that the gameplay music will be uncompressed this time. I highly doubt that too, but the size of the re-release it quite large (mostly accounting for the AI upscaled textures though), so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

OK, I was just hoping it might be possible it's in 5.1

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

OK, I was just hoping it might be possible it's in 5.1

Do you remember if they even contain anything we don't already have clean from other games? I seem to remember everything from those cutscenes being present elsewhere now.

4 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Do you remember if they even contain anything we don't already have clean from other games? I seem to remember everything from those cutscenes being present elsewhere now.

Pretty sure part of Zam's Dirty Trick is in there, with children's voices over top.

12 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Palpatine's Big pitch from TFU cutscenes front channels, cleaned with AI:

Too bad they felt the need to overlay another cue on top of it.

EDIT: I did check the BF2 cutscenes and couldn't find anything that we don't already have clean from elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Too bad they felt the need to overlay another cue on top of it.

Where, what cue?

30 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Palpatine's Big pitch from TFU cutscenes front channels, cleaned with AI:

Fantastic stuff... ROTS is definitely my most-wanted prequel expansion. It deserves the Matessino treatment!

That alternate Battle of the Heroes opening being recorded was a great discovery last year. Who knows what else was recorded we don't know about!

7 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The strings that come in at 0:10 are from Goodbye Old Friend, pitched down 1 semitone.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice, music editors being too clever for their own good!

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Fantastic stuff... ROTS is definitely my most-wanted prequel expansion. It deserves the Matessino treatment!

That alternate Battle of the Heroes opening being recorded was a great discovery last year. Who knows what else was recorded we don't know about!

Another bit, the ending of I Am the Senate, less clean:

2 hours ago, Faleel said:

I never realized that appeared anywhere! First time I'm hearing it as a non-mockup! JohnnyWow.png

(EDIT: Specifically the part at 0:09)

13 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I never realized that appeared anywhere! First time I'm hearing it as a non-mockup! JohnnyWow.png

A bit of it also showed up in the ROTS DVD menu

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

Ah, that's just from the film stem. Too bad they didn't use the unused ending.

Interestingly, bandit separated the "Plaguies Choir" from the orchestral stuff.

In three years time with the 50th Anniversary I expect all 9 Scores will be released in their entirety(?). As far as the sheer amount of material written for the Prequels & Sequels would this amount to about 3 CDs per Movie? I realise this question has probably been asked many times. 

1 minute ago, SilverTrumpet said:

What is this from? A behind the scenes thing? I don't remember that cue being featured in anything.

Revenge of the Sith DVD featurette.

13 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Well, I figured that. Which one? I thought I've seen them all.

Endlessly Compelling.

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Episode IX might even require 4 discs. There were 226 minutes recorded, which could theoretically fit on 3, but that doesn’t account for putting inserts or overlays into their intended context.

Or they could always pull a Rogue One EE and abruptly start and stop mid-music

4 hours ago, Faleel said:

Endlessly Compelling.

Huh! I've seen that one a billion times and I never noticed that little moment in it because Williams is talking over it. 

4 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Or they could always pull a Rogue One EE and abruptly start and stop mid-music

OR they hire Didier Deutsch and we get the worst soundtrack release of all time-making the Ultimate Edition a masterpiece.

Can someone post the file that contains the ending for "Spare Canister Caper"? Or maybe can someone upload it and PM it to me please?

Edit: Also can anyone properly use AI separation and make the rest of material for ROTS clean? I hope one day we do get legit complete releases for the Prequels...it would be nice.

On 13/03/2024 at 7:53 PM, BrotherSound said:

Most likely 2 CDs each for episodes I, II, III, IV, and V, and 3 CDs each for episodes VI, VII, VIII, and IX.

Episode IX might even require 4 discs. There were 226 minutes recorded, which could theoretically fit on 3, but that doesn’t account for putting inserts or overlays into their intended context.

Thank you v much for this info. As I say I'm really hoping once 2027 comes along we'll get the Deluxe treatment for all 9 Scores that  we've been waiting for all these years. 3 CDs for Return of the Jedi? 

On 08/03/2024 at 10:21 PM, crumbs said:

where's that? must have missed it

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

where's that? must have missed it

It was in the Abbey Road documentary released on Disney+. They had a segment on John Williams and the Star Wars scores. Somewhat miraculously they included footage of the alternate BOTH intro being recorded with the LSO.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

It was in the Abbey Road documentary released on Disney+. They had a segment on John Williams and the Star Wars scores. Somewhat miraculously they included footage of the alternate BOTH intro being recorded with the LSO.

That alternate intro is 6M9 D.V.D. V.1 Revenge of the Sith. Seems like a reasonable guess the actual album version is v2.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

They had a segment on John Williams and the Star Wars scores. Somewhat miraculously they included footage of the alternate BOTH intro being recorded with the LSO.

Yeah it's especially impressive given that their entire JW section was only 5 minutes long

46 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

That alternate intro is 6M9 D.V.D. V.1 Revenge of the Sith. Seems like a reasonable guess the actual album version is v2.

Here's something I always wanted to know about these prequels cue lists (though I think this only happens in ROTS?... not sure): why some of them have "D.V.D." written after the reel/part number? Does that mean that this version of the cue was recorded specifically for the DVD release of the movie, probably featuring a longer and/or different version of the scene? And what is the difference between this version of the cue and the version recorded for the theatrical cut?

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Here's something I always wanted to know about these prequels cue lists (though I think this only happens in ROTS?... not sure): why some of them have "D.V.D." written after the reel/part number? Does that mean that this version of the cue was recorded specifically for the DVD release of the movie, probably featuring a longer and/or different version of the scene? And what is the difference between this version of the cue and the version recorded for the theatrical cut?

Presumably it was written for the Star Wars: A Musical Journey DVD that was included with the soundtrack, which I think was the concert suites set to footage.

3 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

AOTC had a "CD Version". My best guess is "DVD Version" is a reference to the Star Wars: A Musical Journey DVD that accompanied the original release of the soundtrack album.

I believe the concert arrangement of Battle of the Heroes uses the same take(s) as the film cue (6M9 Revenge of the Sith) for the most part, just with an added introduction and a different ending.

Does the recording end as it does in the film? Right after Obi-Wan slices and dices Anakin, the music cuts abruptly, which could've been recorded that way or the cue was just cut short too, but its kind of hard to tell.