Super 8 by Michael Giacchino

TownerFan

Administrator's note: This thread is for discussing the SCORE to Super 8. To discuss the movie itself, head here.

Sountrack album coming from Varèse on June 28:

http://www.varesesar.../Super-8/Detail

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

From Writer/Director J.J. Abrams

and Producer Steven Spielberg

SUPER 8

Music Composed by

Michael Giacchino

(Up, Star Trek, Cars 2)

In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local Deputy tries to uncover the truth — something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined.

Destined to be one of the biggest blockbusters of the summer, SUPER 8 is written and directed by J.J. Abrams (Lost, Star Trek, Mission Impossible III) and produced by Steven Spielberg.

Composer Michael Giacchino — an Academy Award winner for his score for Up — reunites with director J.J. Abrams for an extraordinary adventure that musically returns to the wonders of childhood in what may be Giacchino's best score yet.

Paramount Pictures will open Super 8 nationwide on June 10.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 101 2

Release Date: 06/28/11

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody just posted a comment on my YouTube channel and said the score sounds very similar to Lost. That's not a bad thing but not what I had in mind for this film. Not like this random person has anytype of credibility or anything, but some people have been recently invited to early screen-tests this past weekend.

I'm really looking forward to this score.

The clips sound very good.

Good 'yearning' theme by MG, only Horner and Newton Howard still make 'em like this (occasionally).

What are the chances the score CD will be on iTunes before its CD release date?

I get a better vibe from this clip than from the first clip of his Star Trek.

Karol

yes, this time I instantly like it.

but it's a bit copied on the E.T. theme. Not that it's a bad thing

I haven't listened to the samples and probably won't until I've seen the film, but I'm pleased by the positive comments. For the (relatively few) new films I've seen in the last few years, I haven't been very moved by the music...unless Giacchino was involved. I'm hoping Super 8 will continue that pattern, and the fact that the film seems rather Spielbergian can't hurt. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing this.

Nope, I like to be surprised by these things. If there's an upcoming score that I have reason to be interested in, I usually don't make any attempt to listen to the music till I've seen the film. I enjoy that experience of the music being totally fresh (or not) when I see the film for the first time. Then, if I'm interested, I'll have all the time in the world to buy the OST, memorize every track, create my own complete edit, learn to play it on piano, etc. :P But I like to have that first viewing experience in which the sound and picture are both new and surprising to me. It's not like I'll go crazy or anything if I do hear some samples, but I usually try to avoid it for new films if I have some intention of seeing the film and some expectation that the score will be good.

I listened to the clip at the website but that's it until I see the film next August, for the same reasons. It's the way I got into film music in the first place now that I think about it.

The score is very good. It's a relief to hear a fully orchestral score with themes, harmony and all that good stuff that used to be on every film.

The final sequence and the post train-derailment scene in particular, are beautifully scored. You can definitely hear "E.T." influences in the former, but it's not veering into temp-track territory.

I saw the movie last night and enjoyed it though as good as it was, it really shows how great Spielberg and Williams were in their golden age. It is VERY nice to hear some traditional thematic material and a strong score, but it lacks the polish and sophistication of Williams. That is what really sets JW apart - not just that the themes are good, but that the treatment and development of those themes are so solidly executed. In a Williams score, the material seems simple but builds and builds as the drama unfolds until you get this tremendously complete and transformed restatement at the end such as with E.T., Close Encounters, etc. In Super 8, you get a good theme built on short phrases with a memorable hook. The theme then gets repeated maybe with a bigger orchestration. Standard stuff and light years ahead of what is out there these days, but lacking in the sophistication of JW which is certainly what I was hoping for. JW might create an 8 bar melody with solid hooks. But the hooks might be what you hear at the start and the melody gets developed and explored as it progresses. Motifs are shifted from background to foreground as accompaniment to the theme in a bigger guise. Secondly the harmony would be very skillfully used based on the nuance of the scene while fulfilling the dramatic story arch. Next, the bridge would link back to either a contrasting section or a new theme further exploring the original theme. Basically, I really long for someone with that much talent, skill, craftsmanship, and instinct and we don't quite get that in "Super 8". My expectations are too high.

Still, Giacchino has created an effective piece of work and I'll buy the soundtrack. The film is enjoyable and certainly has a retro feel to it. The kids are really good too.

That's not really a good thing.

at one point in the movie, towards the end I believe Dave turned to me and said the music sounds like Star Trek and I realized he was correct. Overall I did like the music. Or perhaps I should say I didn't dislike it. I've no plans to buy the soore but I'd buy an album of the songs from the film.

I thought the score was good. I heard a few E.T. influences, the most obvious being the militaristic themes for the military that, like E.T., started with a repeating single note (that's not the only similarity, but the most obvious one). The last cue was great. I wish Giacchino had used the main theme more. By the time we got to the finale, I felt like I had only heard it once or twice, and I think it could've been more effective. Still, it was good enough to give me goosebumps, so I'll definitely buy the soundtrack in some form (either a few tracks from iTunes or the entire thing).