1941 - 2CD Expanded Score by La-La Land Records

John Takis

I have the old Bay Cities release of 1941.

Hopefully the new release will have the old LP artwork of all the characters from the film.

Awesome! I had no idea that there was enough unreleased music to warrant a second disc.

Er, the isolated score on the laserdisc/DVD alone runs longer than one CD

I presume this new set will include the complete score starting on disc 1, ending on disc 2, with no cannonade/dialogue throughout. Then any alternates, and then the complete original LP, with the cannonade and dialogue, to close out the second disc.

Quite possibly. When I made my own extended 1941 CD set from the isolated score I got 96:15 of music (including "In the Mood" and "The OHIO" and other source tracks).

Helluva news! This is a great score from beginning to end.

This is surely a sign we will see further expanded Spielberg/Williams scores from the labels in the future. And also a sign that Williams is NOT preventing his scores from being presented in expanded/complete form.

Yeah, if the original plan was to have them finished by late July, then we probably won't have to wait too long to get them. WHat does LLL typically charge for a 2 CD set?

I think it is the standard 29.98$ or around that. On the other hand they can charge as little as 24.98 for 3 discs like with Breakdown. I would call that almost altruistic business style.

I think it's bloody expensive, but what ya gonna do?

Have you no love for the labels who produce these CDs with their life's blood and get pittance in return for their valiant efforts?

You mean greedy labels that want to take even my last cent, leaving me to eat cold beans in a house without furniture and only a PC and a CD set? While Robert Townson, Lukas Kendall, Neil S. Bulk and MV Gerhard live in huge mansions!

:lol:

The "cold beans" scenerio pretty much became the reality for me last year when La-La Land released their last pre-Christmas batch. But I had hard time getting my priorities straight at the time.

Karol

Thta's why you were spending christmas drinking apple juice from a plastic cup and Neil spend it drinking champagne from a woman's belly-button!

Wow the high living of the Soundtrack elite has become disgustingly good since I last heard from them. No wonder they want to keep their riches secret. Living off the back of the soundtrack fan proletariat earning their living working gruelling days in the soot covered dark factories, handling toxic chemicals and breathing the fumes of industry, getting sick and dying writhing in black agony on the factory floors. THE AGONY!!! THE AGONY!!! AIIIEEEE!!!!

The filthy priviledged swines! Power to the people! Down the tyranny of the labels! To the barricades! As Saruman of Many Colours so well said: TO WAR!!!!

Ahem. What have I have been sipping of late? Surely this mug contains only coffee...

Thta's why you were spending christmas drinking apple juice from a plastic cup and Neil spend it drinking champagne from a woman's belly-button!

You have no idea how close to the truth you are. It was the crappiest Christmas ever, which I spent entirely on my won, on top of everything else.

Karol - in Grinch mode

Really? 1941?

Huh. I could think of at least 30 other JW scores that I'd be more excited to see a 2-CD edition of.

(But I probably will get it anyway.)

I take more the attitude of slowly (but surely) ticking away expanded scores off my wish list. Hook and other fan favourites will come soon, I am quite certain of that. :)

The score is tremendous fun, full of blood-and-guts and glory. It takes itself very seriously and most of the time it is not usual comedic score but heroic and fanfarish and dramatic. Williams plays with known tunes from the period and quotes them at suitable places for comedic effect. The final battle of Hollywood is a classic Williams 1970's and 80's action galore with a tongue firmly in cheek.

It will be a revelation to get this score in full form and in good sound quality.

1941 is somewhat of a grail for me. The isolated score has been a decent substitute but I think the original album is a very poor representation of the score, not to mention the annoying explosions and Belushi's dialogue at the end of the End Credits.

And I'm curious to hear all the cues in their full form.

And I saw this from Michael Matessino at FSM. http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=1&threadID=80405&archive=0

Rest assured you will get the end credits both with and without cannons, leaving it up to the listener to decide if the cannons are canon.

Mike

1941 is somewhat of a grail for me. The isolated score has been a decent substitute but I think the original album is a very poor representation of the score, not to mention the annoying explosions and Belushi's dialogue at the end of the End Credits.

And I'm curious to hear all the cues in their full form.

And I saw this from Michael Matessino at FSM. http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=1&threadID=80405&archive=0

Rest assured you will get the end credits both with and without cannons, leaving it up to the listener to decide if the cannons are canon.

Mike

Well we certainly would not expect no less from Matessino. :)

Sweet! Definite buy on this one for me. Smack dab in the middle of Johnny's best couple of years, IMHO (and please let's not open up a can of worms with that, just stating my own personal favorite era).

good news!

i find the iso score sometimes unlistenable, since there is much tracking, and cut-outs, fade outs...

and the ost has too many sfx for my tastes...

:)

You mean greedy labels that want to take even my last cent, leaving me to eat cold beans in a house without furniture and only a PC and a CD set?

Cold beans in a house without furniture? Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

Let's hope that LaLa Land Records charge $19.41 for this. :up:

Let's hope that LaLa Land Records do not limit the pressing to 1,941 copies. :down:

I will not mind if one of the cues lasts [19:41]. :dance:

This will be a great release. I'm quite fond of the score, and I think a 2-CD treatment will be a revelation to those who are not familiar with it outside of the less than stellar album.

This is good news indeed. I'll gladly get 1941 (er, what new Williams release don't I get?), even though the Varese CD and DVD-isolated score are nice, I bet this will have a few surprises. Are we looking for a probably 4th quarter of 2011 deal? Last Christmas was rough on me with all those nice releases at once, haha.

I must've missed it... when did Williams nix Sugarland and what reasons were given? (I mean, besides it being not a great score, based on that horrible-sounding bootleg, but it is a big hole in the collections of us JW 'completist' collectors.) That one has been awaited for a LONG time. My collection shelf feels incomplete without it, just filled by the crappy boot as a holder until something legit comes a long.

I really want it to be released. I saw the film a few weeks ago, and there's a lot of really great music. Some of the gentler stuff has already been released, but the finale cue is really great...really intense and dramatic.

It's an important score that needs a full release.

It's the first collaboration between Spielberg and Williams. The movie is good too.

It's one of Spielberg's best films when it comes to incredible tension and suspense. I was more scared when I saw Sugarland than when I saw Jaws or SPR.

Hmmm...Thor not interested in a 2 cd set, who's have thunk it?

I'm not sure that's accurate.

Thor is a self-acknowledged fan of Pink Floyd and rock music as "concept albums" that tell a story in their earliest form as the artists intended, or something like that.

So for Thor to not be interested in a 2 CD set like, say, "The Wall" would be very surprising. Now whether it's too long for him to remain interested and invested for the whole thing...

It's an important score that needs a full release.

It's the first collaboration between Spielberg and Williams. The movie is good too.

Agreed.

It's not that interesting a score, though (beyond the theme, which has been released several times).

Hmmm...Thor not interested in a 2 cd set, who's have thunk it?

I'm not sure that's accurate.

Thor is a self-acknowledged fan of Pink Floyd and rock music as "concept albums" that tell a story in their earliest form as the artists intended, or something like that.

So for Thor to not be interested in a 2 CD set like, say, "The Wall" would be very surprising. Now whether it's too long for him to remain interested and invested for the whole thing...

THE WALL rocks!

I have plenty of multiple-CD sets, of course (duh!), but very few multiple-CD C&C's (mostly those that also have the album program).

Agreed.

It's not that interesting a score, though (beyond the theme, which has been released several times).

I'm sure its more interesting because of its historic significance then for its actual quality as a score.

Like that first documentary film JW did. I'm sure the music will be very far from earth shattering. But if possible it should be released, because it's were the John Williams we know today ultimately began his film career.

Horray!!!!! A half-forgotten, and oft-dissed masterpiece finally gets its due!!!!

Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

And please please please please present the end credits and the march without those damn explosions. If you want to include them as an alternate that's fine.

...and both film and album versions of "Swing, Swing, Swing", please!

Well Williams has nixed Sugarland.

Why, exactly?

Never cared much for 1941, neither score nor film.

GET THEE TO A NUNNERY! :angry:

Hook is not Universal.

Might not be relevant, but "1941" is half Columbia. As it was released on the Arista label in 1979, and as Arista is now owned by...Sony, there might be some "cross-polination", here. Let's hope.

Agreed.

I'm sure its more interesting because of its historic significance then for its actual quality as a score.

Like that first documentary film JW did. I'm sure the music will be very far from earth shattering. But if possible it should be released, because it's were the John Williams we know today ultimately began his film career.

Yes, I agree. Just like DADDY-O, it should be released solely on the basis of its landmark quality.

Horray!!!!! A half-forgotten, and oft-dissed masterpiece finally gets its due!!!!

Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

And please please please please present the end credits and the march without those damn explosions. If you want to include them as an alternate that's fine.

...and both film and album versions of "Swing, Swing, Swing", please!

What's the difference between the two?