What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's great fun!

I usually hate when someone tells me I " you didnt like the film because you didn't ' get' it"

But, in this case its true.

All the 1950' s cultural and political references went right over the head of its basement dwelling audience!

(like JS). It has a very witty and knowing screenplay

So, all you were left with were the hit and miss action sequences and the uninspired score.

39 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

So, all you were left with were the hit and miss action sequences and the uninspired score.

The score is the best part.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Let's give him one more chance.

westsidestory-firstlook-dance.jpg

I Forgot about this one. Thanks for reminding me.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

For a horror classic, it is just glacial. While Romero's Night of the Living Dead was terrible with bad production values, it managed to conjure a sense of dread and atmosphere. Dawn is a bigger budgeted film but boring for 3/4's of its running time.

Things get a bit exciting near the end, with Tom Savini's terrific gore work, but if people are looking for a bigger gore fest with zombies, go with Fulci's Zombie instead. That won't bore you.

A general question regarding this thread - where exactly lies the line between "new" and "old" films? Some people consider anything made in the last 15 years to be new, while for some, films from 2017 are already old.

Basically, the new movies thread exists because of King Mark, although he only posts in video game threads, so why we're still trying to entertain him, I haven't the slightest.

36 minutes ago, Biodome said:

A general question regarding this thread - where exactly lies the line between "new" and "old" films? Some people consider anything made in the last 15 years to be new, while for some, films from 2017 are already old.

Old: silents

New: talkies

Alternatively:

28 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Basically, the new movies thread exists because of King Mark, although he only posts in video game threads, so why we're still trying to entertain him, I haven't the slightest.

Certain users here like KM the forum heads keep trying to appease!

8 hours ago, Matt C said:

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

For a horror classic, it is just glacial. While Romero's Night of the Living Dead was terrible with bad production values, it managed to conjure a sense of dread and atmosphere. Dawn is a bigger budgeted film but boring for 3/4's of its running time.

Things get a bit exciting near the end, with Tom Savini's terrific gore work, but if people are looking for a bigger gore fest with zombies, go with Fulci's Zombie instead. That won't bore you.

Yeah, I don't even think I got to the end when I tried to watch it ... slow as you say, and with quite a few laughable bits that I just couldn't overlook. 

Undoubtedly innovative and influential in its day, but the things that it influenced are probably better. Maybe critics give it a pass because they have a collective woody for the consumerist satire in it or something, I dunno.  

Up until AMC's The Walking Dead it was still the pre-eminent zombie movie/fiction and all throughout my teens I thought it was absolutely badass. Dawn of the Dead is an outdated relic of the past now, but I'll never forget its impact (nor its influence). 

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yeah, I don't even think I got to the end when I tried to watch it ... slow as you say, and with quite a few laughable bits that I just couldn't overlook. 

Undoubtedly innovative and influential in its day, but the things that it influenced are probably better. Maybe critics give it a pass because they have a collective woody for the consumerist satire in it or something, I dunno.  

That's probably it, but the satire falls flat.

Just saw Robert Bresson's Pickpocket for the first time. It's such a beautifully shot film, and it looks gorgeous and sharp in DCP.

It's also a known classic and a masterpiece. I knew of the iconic prison scene for years, even though I hadn't seen the film. Now, I can appreciate its legacy even more. I also enjoyed the "theme and variations" narrative approach, for which the film is famous. It's French cinema at its best.

33 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Check out A MAN ESCAPED

The cinema is doing a full retrospective on Bresson, so I'll be seeing most of the films. I did miss A Man Escaped unfortunately, because the screening time clashed with my schedule. I'll have to see it some other day.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's Zack Snyder's best film.

Its not a good film

Watching it as an adult, it almost feels like a modern Tarantino movie. And looking at it from this angle, the movie becomes quite enjoyable.

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Its not a good film

But not bad either. It's good enough to see it once. 

LALD is a pretty bad James Bond movie but has Fleming's touch in some good ways. The black gang has three.cool villains.

The voodoo subplot is neat. And the escape from the crocs is. very Bondian.The sting on the train is far superior to the copycat scene with Jaws in SWLM.

But the rest... Keystone Cops chase sequences and lame humour

( 007 hiding his conquest from M.  Gimme a break!)

Interstellar

I10.PNG

This tearjerker doesn't work that well because, even though it's entirely based on the concept of 'family', it doesn't really make you feel or experience it. The father/daughter relationship is too shallow to make us truly care. However, Zimmer's sad, pulsating organ does its best to compensate for that. You know what theme I'm talking about, right? What else was good? Well, Matt Damon as a villain. He was able to deliver the often unnatural dialog in a completely natural way. It takes talent to pull off something like that (Hathaway did not fare so well). Damon needed a little more screen time though. Rest me to say that we also get treated to some beautiful shots in space (even though the copy on Prime isn't quite as stellar as I had hoped for). That's it! Everything else is not so good, IMO. That includes whispery McConaughey, crybaby Hathaway, weepy Michael Caine, pointless Casey Affleck, underdeveloped Lithgow, ...  Okay, the design of the robot (TARS) is quite unique so that's a positive too. I would have preferred a more special voice for him/it. Of course, most viewers will love it for the "They are us" revelation at the end of the movie. People are such suckers for story. 5/10

I find it difficult to be satisfied by Nolan's films lately. He seems like a one-trick-pony with his superficially profound screenplays, which have become quite shallow in my opinion, and the dialogue begins to suffer a lot. Yeah, he tries to compensate for it by increasing the scale and budget towards the extreme, but it's not what I want. I liked Following, I loved Memento, which to this day I consider to be Nolan's best work. But when it comes to Interstellar, it just feels like a 2001: A Space Odyssey adaptation stripped of all its fundamental philosophy, such as the many references to Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I want Nolan to make a good old small and self-contained drama for like $10 million at most, without trying to reach for some grandiose themes with which he doesn't really know how to work.

Is it wrong that I'm 49 and sniggering at the phrase 'Zimmer's sad pulsating organ'? :lol:

The Gauntlet - Clint actioner in which he's a Phoenix cop who has to get Vegas hooker Sondra Locke back to Phoenix in order to testify. Given that the trial involves the Mob and the corrupt Chief Of Police, they do their best to stop them.

Fun enough, although you may find yourself chuckling in disbelief when Locke's house is utterly riddled with lead and Eastwood escapes without a scratch (and also at the movie's climax, when the bus that Eastwood and Locke have commandeered to reach Phoenix City Hall just keeps on truckin' while similarly being made to resemble Swiss cheese).

5 hours ago, Biodome said:

I find it difficult to be satisfied by Nolan's films lately. He seems like a one-trick-pony with his superficially profound screenplays, which have become quite shallow in my opinion, and the dialogue begins to suffer a lot. Yeah, he tries to compensate for it by increasing the scale and budget towards the extreme, but it's not what I want. I liked Following, I loved Memento, which to this day I consider to be Nolan's best work. But when it comes to Interstellar, it just feels like a 2001: A Space Odyssey adaptation stripped of all its fundamental philosophy, such as the many references to Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I want Nolan to make a good old small and self-contained drama for like $10 million at most, without trying to reach for some grandiose themes with which he doesn't really know how to work.

Now that I think of it, I think his last three movies are easily my 3 least favorites from his filmography. But anyway, I'll always watch in the theater every movie Nolan makes

I think the score is standout by today's standards and I think the STAY theme is stunning. The film I was quite disappointed by (I'm a Nolan detractor, so I wasn't ever expecting the hype to be anywhere near justified, but I still thought it'd be a better film than it was). Matt Damon's cameo was awful to me, and I consider it the low point of the film. 

Zimmer's score on its own suggests a much better film than the one that actually exists. 

5 hours ago, Biodome said:

Greatness costs no money:

8 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Visually nice but I was underwhelmed, disappointed and ultimately bewildered by the ending in the space library.

That wasn't the end- but should have been.

The film should have ended with MM having to choose which time to return to: young daughter or grown daughter.

I have no idea what happens after that; and I don't care.

The score kept the film alive for as long as it could

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’ll be in the minority here and say that I thought Interstellar was a superb, visceral theatrical experience. 

JWFans are real dicks, if it comes to Mr. Nolan.

I saw it at the Air And Space Museum IMAX screen in DC on opening weekend. Went in without a drop of knowledge of the film, having seen no trailers and having no expectations. It was fantastic. I haven’t watched it since because I’m afraid it will tarnish that experience. One of my favorites of the decade.