What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Cheers Jay!

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Nice top picture @KK, but...1.85?

I'm surprised I got a photo at all!

I will do better at the maestro's Chicago concert!

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

91GY7POXn3L._SX342_.jpg

Perfect mixture between tragedy and comedy. In fact, it's better than many Coen brothers movies (and who are known to be the masters of the genre). Surprise, I didn't know it's from the director of In Bruges.  8/10

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is cinema saved, Alex?

One movie is not enough to save it!

5 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Annoyhilation looks great!

I didn't really like the prism shine.

The Incredible Hulk.

At long last, I have begun to catch up on my Marvel movies. At least they're consistently good, unlike the DC ones. What mostly surprises me now is how little happened in the first half, but after that, I really began to feel for the Hulk's character and predicament. Liv Tyler was too bland and Tim Roth's character was rather stupid, but I loved Tim Blake Nelson.

The score was not special or memorable, but the overall package was really nice, especially the non-action material. Scores like these are proof that superhero music can still be decent in this day and age.

Downsizing. So entertaining for about 45 mins or so, but starts losing its allure when Christoph Waltz appears, and then proceeds to have one of the biggest nosedives in cinema history once the annoying Vietnamese girl, who sounds uncannily like Shortround, enters the film. At that point the movie dumbfoundingly abandons almost all interesting themes on shrinking humans and it becomes one boring drama filled with boring people. 

1 hour ago, Hurmm said:

Downsizing. So entertaining for about 45 mins or so, but starts losing its allure when Christoph Waltz appears, and then proceeds to have one of the biggest nosedives in cinema history once the annoying Vietnamese girl, who sounds uncannily like Shortround, enters the film. At that point the movie dumbfoundingly abandons almost all interesting themes on shrinking humans and it becomes one boring drama filled with boring people. 

Sounds like I'm gonna hate this one so I will skip it. 

Captain America, the first avenger.

Not really a fan of these predictable, patriotic movies, but enjoyed it all the same, especially the second half. I found the love story between Carter and Captain America rather forced, but really liked Tommy Lee Jones' performance and character, not to mention the final scene before the credits.

The score also became much more interesting in the second half and its main theme is quite functional. It's so good to hear composers switch from major t minor and not just stick to minor all the time. The march during the credits was absolutely fantastic, but the final conversation between Carter and Captain America could have been more.

The Dutch subtitles were way too concise and even contained a few wrong translations.

Diary of Anne Frank. Its in black and white so half of the posters here wouldn't watch it. 

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sounds like I'm gonna hate this one so I will skip it. 

I shouldn't have said girl. It's an adult lady in her 30s. So imagine that with Shortround's high pitched voice and tone. I zoned out almost immediately once she appeared. From that point on the story had nary any resemblance to a world populated by 5 inch people, and it might as well have been set in the real world. Such an odd shift for a story with this much potential. 

2001: A Space Odyssey

This movie is gorgeous. Not just in the sets and miniatures, but the beautiful cinematography, as well: In a film so renowned for its photography of marvelous-looking spaceships, people forget how extreme Kubrick can get with his close-ups, and I always appreciate variety when it comes to camerawork.

Unfortunately, its also a a bit a hell of a slug. Many of my favorite movies are around or well over three hours, but this film at 140 minutes is just a chore, and it premiered with an added twenty minutes, which I now have no interest in seeing at all!

It was released a full year before man first landed on the moon, so Kubrick had probably assumed that the imagery would be so enrapturing that audiences would not be able get enough of it and, judging by the box office, he was right, too. Sadly, now that its well after 2001, we the audience are left - like the actual people onboard - unimpressed, at least after the first two or three scenes in space. That is especially true on the small screen, where I was watching it.

On the plus side, this film isn't nearly as nebulous as people would have you believe. Essentialy, it explores the possibility of omniscient extra-terrestrial life, one made of pure energy, helping humanity advance through the ages, as opposed to the idea of a transcendant deity. Admittedly, that's just not my thing when it comes to movies. I felt intellectually stimulated by A Space Odyssey, but I feel like film is at its best when its trying to move the viewer emotionally and viscerally, which this film doesn't even presume to do.

It can be a bit of a slog in certain moods, but that means I don't want to watch it every month, making every viewing even more of an event than it already is. Happy 50th Birthday to it, by the way! I wish I didn't procrastrinate my paper on renewables this far, now the anniversary watch has to move to tomorrow night :( 

@Chen G., if you really want to experience, and appreciate 2001, try to see a 70mm 6-track magnetic stereo showcase presentation, which are shown throughout the world, at regular intervals. If you don't fall in love with it after that...check your pulse.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He seems to think the film is dated, and no longer relevant....

Dated? It's still miles ahead of everything else! It works in a different but much more rewarding way. You just need to unlearn the standard way of watching movies.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He seems to think the film is dated, and no longer relevant....

No, I'm saying some of its luster has worn off. We've seen space in movies so much by now, that just seeing a spaceship drifting through orbit isn't enough to captivate us on its own.

Again, speak for yourself!

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Chen G., if you really want to experience, and appreciate 2001, try to see a 70mm 6-track magnetic stereo showcase presentation, which are shown throughout the world, at regular intervals. If you don't fall in love with it after that...check your pulse.

I saw a 70mm presentation of 2001 last year in Amsterdam. It was deeply impressive.

I saw it at 16 and wasn't ready :D 

When I tried again 2 years later, I loved every minute of it.

18? Wow!

I was also around 16 when I first saw it. The advertisement said: "Watch the movie that started it all" (Star Wars, Alien, etc).  So I went in expecting some kind of Star Wars movie from the '60s and got disappointed.

Then again, my current mental age is 57, 28, or 34, depending on which bull test I take :P (21 normally)

6 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Life Of Brian - what better way to round off Easter Sunday than with a lovely bit of blasphemy? Still pant-pissingly funny.   

Its a good film, Sweep, to be sure, but what's blasphemous about it?