The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What?

Gunter and Gutrune, who only appear in Gotterdamerung, can be thankless roles and are often not given to acting musicians of the stature that's required to really bring them to life. If they're performed well - and my memory is they were in this - they can very interesting, sympathetic and moving roles.

Hagen, I remember, was also sung well but the singer lacked the appropriate menace to the voice. There's simply no beating Matti Salminen in that role.

On 01/06/2023 at 2:11 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Familiar with quite a few of the names, but none of the recordings. I'm generally sceptical of these types of box sets that don't have a unifying artistic vision. Sure, there's a certain continuity to performances by the same orchestra, but usually big name conductors make a significant difference (or they don't deserve their big name, I suppose), and in the case of opera of course the singers are another factor. It's confusing enough to have a connected Ring cycle with different Brünnhildes, or Siegfrieds, or Wotans. But the concept of a set of Wagner operas (beyond the Ring) by entirely different conductors is something I don't quite trust.

I don't quite see the problem as long as the Ring has the same conductor. 

The Opera North Ring has the same conductor (Richard Farnes, pretty good), but, at least as recorded, it has a different Brunnhilde in Siegfried (too bad, Carly Cae Hogan is extremly intelligent interperter on Walkure and Gotterdamerung), different Siegfrieds, different Frickas and three different Wotans.

Doesn't help, that's for sure.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

RVW's Songs of Travel, based on poems by Robert Louis Stevenson. The original cycle is for baritone and piano (and I have a fine recording of that with Bryn Terfel, too), but I'm partial to the orchestral versions (only three of which were arranged by RVW himself, the others by an assistant), and especially this one song, Whither must I wander. The whole cycle forms a wonderfully rounded whole though, especially with the posthumously published last song which recapitulates the themes of several of the earlier ones to bring the cycle to a close.

Thanks for the heads-up, Marian. RVW is one of my favourite classical composers, but I've been avoiding this due to the song nature. I'll check out the instrumental version!

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are in or travel to London, the basement classical music area at Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill Gate has reopened after a flood a year or two ago. They claim to have the biggest inventory in 10 years (presumably not being able to sell while the basement was closed has something to do with it!) so plenty of stuff to choose from although as I'm in the process of putting a chunk of my classical collection into CD carry cases, I'm sticking to digital downloads as far as possible..

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

Does anyone know of any good HIP Mendelssohn symphony cycles? I would usually go to Gardiner, but he's never done one.

Check out Thomas Fey's.

On 25/07/2023 at 7:28 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

For those who are in or travel to London, the basement classical music area at Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill Gate has reopened after a flood a year or two ago.

And the booklets are all water damaged?

On 11/08/2023 at 7:45 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

"HIP"?

Historically Informed Performance.

On 11/08/2023 at 7:56 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Check out Thomas Fey's.

I'm impressed with what I've heard so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

That is what's meant by "Historically informed performance", yes.

At Mendelssohn's time, the instruments did not yet quite take the shape we know now, and even the pitch level was not the same as our concert pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Will said:

This great passage from Ravel perhaps influenced JW (or at least sounds similar):

Here's a strangely similar passage from Copland! Also a very influential piece for much of JW's Americana sound.

Can anyone recommend any classical work (romanticism/post-romanticism/impressionism) which depicts (or makes subconscious associations with) God and otherworldliness with maybe mainly major chords?

Was it any symphony by Mahler? I'm not familiar with them except the 5th.

18 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Was it any symphony by Mahler?

There are explicit choral references to a deity in his Symphony No. 8 (which begins and ends with the exhortation "Veni creator spiritus!", and in major chords too!), and also in No. 2.

42 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Can anyone recommend any classical work (romanticism/post-romanticism/impressionism) which depicts (or makes subconscious associations with) God and otherworldliness with maybe mainly major chords?

Lohengrin. To a lesser extent also Parsifal.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I’d suggest that Bruckner’s 3 Masses could fit the bill featuring some typically epic writing for orchestra and chorus. 

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I’d suggest that Bruckner’s 3 Masses could fit the bill featuring some typically epic writing for orchestra and chorus. 

And the Te Deum. In which the lyrics specifically referencing god are neither in major/minor but build on open chords on top of a fourth/fifth ostinato, and only for the rest of the lyrics does the music assume clear major/minor keys.

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Definitely check outs Liszt Dante Symphony. It starts in hell but ends in paradise with soft angelic chorus singing your otherworldly major chords. 

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And the Te Deum. In which the lyrics specifically referencing god are neither in major/minor but build on open chords on top of a fourth/fifth ostinato, and only for the rest of the lyrics does the music assume clear major/minor keys.

I'm not acquainted with Bruckner at all, but some symphonies I tried to listen long ago, they seemed too heavy stuff..

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Oh yeah that’s great too. 

59 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm not acquainted with Bruckner at all, but some symphonies I tried to listen long ago, they seemed too heavy stuff..

They are pretty heavy texturally but if you get used to the huge waves of sound are often thrilling. 

• 2 months later...

Vague question, I know, but I went to a carols service yesterday and this is the second year in a row the service ends with a great organ  piece that I don't know and is not listed in the program. It starts in D major with very high notes you could compare the opening of To The Plaza, Presto, and then the incredibly low registers play the notes D and A. It has some dissonant passaages too. I guess you could call it an allegro at the very least, even presto. Anyone any idea what it could be? It's not a carol as far as I know.

On 30/09/2023 at 5:43 PM, filmmusic said:

Check out the last movement, "In Paradisum", from Duruflé's Requiem. It exists in several different (original) orchestrations, the full orchestral one is here: 

The movement I'm referring to starts at 37:00. I'll not tell you how it ends before you've listened to it ;) 

9 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Puccini recommendations? Complete operas only.

You can start with Turandot and Tosca, and then listen to all the rest!

From the musical point of view, Turandot is the most advanced of his whole production - it was also his last opera, sadly unfinished. Tosca has a more consistent storyline, though (and excellent music anyway).

2 hours ago, Score said:

You can start with Turandot and Tosca, and then listen to all the rest!

I should have been more specific. I’m looking for recording recommendations. I’m aware of his operas, I just don’t know what the good recordings are.

9 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Puccini recommendations? Complete operas only.

I'll echo the recommendation of Turandot. For me by far his best and most advanced work, even if he didn't quite finish it.

Similarly for me Rachmaninov's last orchestral work the Symphonic Dances (basically a "Dance Symphony"... don't think of it as a ballet or anything) is his most advanced and interesting/engaging.

Yavar

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'll echo the recommendation of Turandot. For me by far his best and most advanced work, even if he didn't quite finish it.

Definitely. The good thing with Puccini, in extreme synthesis, is that he managed to combine what's great in Verdi and what's great in Wagner, also incorporating more modern tendencies proper of the first two decades of the 20th century. For example, he and Stravinsky influenced each other in both directions, and it shows up in Turandot. My problem (and not only mine) with that opera is the ending of the story, which may be considered to be "morally unsatisfactory". Liu sacrifices herself for love to save Calaf's life, there is a dramatic moment of general mourning (the last, beautiful piece completed by Puccini before dying) and just a few minutes later, Calaf and Turandot declare their mutual love as if Liu's death meant nothing to Calaf, and the chorus ends up singing: "O Sun, o Life, o Eternity! Love shines over the world! Our infinite happiness laughs and sings in the Sun! Glory, glory glory!" on a fully triumphant setting of the "Nessun dorma" music. I'm quite sure that Puccini would have tried to change the libretto for the last scene, if he had lived, and he would have written a different music!  

@Schilkeman was asking for recommendations on the best recordings, though, and I'm not an expert on that. I have Sony's complete Puccini box set, plus a couple of individual recordings of Turandot and Tosca, and I'm very happy with all of them, but I never bought other versions to compare performances.

3 hours ago, Score said:

Definitely. The good thing with Puccini, in extreme synthesis, is that he managed to combine what's great in Verdi and what's great in Wagner, also incorporating more modern tendencies proper of the first two decades of the 20th century. For example, he and Stravinsky influenced each other in both directions, and it shows up in Turandot. My problem (and not only mine) with that opera is the ending of the story, which may be considered to be "morally unsatisfactory". Liu sacrifices herself for love to save Calaf's life, there is a dramatic moment of general mourning (the last, beautiful piece completed by Puccini before dying) and just a few minutes later, Calaf and Turandot declare their mutual love as if Liu's death meant nothing to Calaf, and the chorus ends up singing: "O Sun, o Life, o Eternity! Love shines over the world! Our infinite happiness laughs and sings in the Sun! Glory, glory glory!" on a fully triumphant setting of the "Nessun dorma" music. I'm quite sure that Puccini would have tried to change the libretto for the last scene, if he had lived, and he would have written a different music!  

@Schilkeman was asking for recommendations on the best recordings, though, and I'm not an expert on that. I have Sony's complete Puccini box set, plus a couple of individual recordings of Turandot and Tosca, and I'm very happy with all of them, but I never bought other versions to compare performances.

I think very highly of Mehta's recording with Pavarotti.  It is very well performed and recorded and features the legendary Pavarotti singing his signature tune. 

Giacomo Puccini, Zubin Mehta, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland, John Alldis Choir, Montserrat Caballé, Tom Krause, Nicolai Ghiaurov, Peter Pears - Puccini - Turandot / Sutherland · Pavarotti · Caballé · Ghiaurov · Krause · Pears · LPO · Mehta - Amazon.com Music