Jay

Lincoln SCORE Discussion thread

I wonder if MV would be able to answer that, based on other scores recorded outside LA since 2005. Might be a good question for his thread on FSM.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

So when @Disco Stu says Lee's Departure is a highlight of the FYC, I'm not sure what he means because that cue was always on the OST.  Unless he's referring to the opening 26 seconds, The "Lincoln and Grant" part, which isn't.

BrotherSound's brainfart became my brainfart!  I don't really listen to the FYC much.  The OST is a perfect album.

I love the FYC, I think both albums are great to listen to.

I'm working on a combination edit of both, which I'll probably enjoy the most!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I love the FYC, I think both albums are great to listen to.

I'm working on a combination edit of both, which I'll probably enjoy the most!

Yeah I have combined both into a longer great listening experience. Although I did edit the OST tracks into their approximate film sequence and separated some of the combined pieces.

The tracks on the FYC album that entirely contain music not on the OST album are

7    Message From Grant And Decisions
8    No Sixteen-Year-Olds Left

10    The Purpose Of The Amendment

17    Trumpet Hymn

The tracks on the FYC album that have some music that is on the OST album, combined with some music that wasn't, are

1    Quickstep And The American Process

4    Getting Out The Vote

9    The Telegraph Office

13    The American Process

14    Lincoln Responds To Southern VP
15    City Point

16    Lincoln And Grant/Lee's Departure

The tracks on the FYC album that only contain music that was already on the OST album are

2    Sleeping Tad

3    With Malice Toward None

5    The Southern Delegation Arrives (this contains a unique clean ending, though)

6    Remembering Willie

11    Equality Under The Law (this contains a unique clean opening, though)

12    Welcome To This House (this contains a unique clean ending, though)

18    Now He Belongs To The Ages
19    End Credits

Nope!

The music contained in FYC track "Message From Grant And Decisions" is not on the OST at all, though it is similar to music in the OST track "The Blue and Grey"

The FYC track "Lincoln Responds To Southern VP" contains the complete version of a cue only heard partially on the OST (inside "The Southern Delegation and the Dream" from 2:06-2:43)

Interesting, in prior JWFan wisdom I thought the Southern VP track was unique. Crumbs' spreadsheet suggests that as well. But I do see some overlap now I'm comparing the tracks.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

The music contained in FYC track "Message From Grant And Decisions" is not on the OST at all, though it is similar to music in the OST track "The Blue and Grey"

Hmm, I thought were both 4M28 Rev, though different edits. The OST seems to have a couple of microedits, while the FYC has some looped bars. (As written, the cue is approximately 2:15.)

35 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Interesting, in prior JWFan wisdom I thought the Southern VP track was unique.

Yeah, I really thought so and @Incanus listed it as FYC-only in his breakdown. @Jay Where is this on the OST?

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Where is this on the OST?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

inside "The Southern Delegation and the Dream" from 2:06-2:43

3 hours ago, Jay said:

inside "The Southern Delegation and the Dream" from 2:06-2:43

Ah, looks like I had identified that bit as the wrong dissonant cluster (there’s a similar one in a version of 1M4). The more interesting section with the bassoon melody is only on the FYC. Updated!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Hmm, I thought were both 4M28 Rev, though different edits. The OST seems to have a couple of microedits, while the FYC has some looped bars. (As written, the cue is approximately 2:15.)

Comparing the two tracks (OST The Blue and Grey and FYC Message From Grant and Decisions), they look and sound identical except for their endings. The last 1:10 of the FYC version is exclusive to the FYC. The last 0:35 of the OST track is exclusive to the OST (a slightly more ominous ending than the more hopeful FYC version). Other than that, they're the same (and comparing waveforms, they appear to be the same take?)

image.png

Does the OST ending come from 4M28 “Message from Grant and Decisions” and the FYC ending from 4M28 Rev “Message from Grant and Decisions”?

14 hours ago, crumbs said:

Does the OST ending come from 4M28 “Message from Grant and Decisions” and the FYC ending from 4M28 Rev “Message from Grant and Decisions”?

That’s a good guess, but what seems like an alternate ending in the FYC version appears to have been created entirely by editing, repeating material from elsewhere in the same cue to replace the dissonant section which only appears on the OST. 

For instance, compare 1:57-2:10 with 0:48-1:01. So, there doesn’t seem to be anything exclusive to the FYC.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:54 AM, Jay said:

Yea they came so close to just including the entire score as heard in the film on the FYC album.  Why they elected to drop those 3 spots of music is beyond me, and unfortunate

More Bad News, Robert At the Hospital, and Delivering the Message.

Correct?

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

More Bad News, Robert At the Hospital, and Delivering the Message.

Correct?

Yep.

In regards to expanding this I believe the fees would be the same no matter where in America it was recorded.  I’m unaware of the LA Local in the AFM having a different agreement than the rest of our union, but I could be wrong.