Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Given Ford's public disdain for Star Wars / Solo, I find it hard to believe he would have a sudden change of heart. Although given his recent box office returns I could understand his need to do something that would guarantee box office gold.

I still don't understand Lucas' excuse of "well killing Han in ROTJ won't sell action figures."

Boba Fett and Darth Vader both died in ROTJ -- one early on, the other at the very end of the movie -- but they still sold action figures like hot cakes. Granted, they both still appeared in the movie as living breathing characters, as opposed to a wall decoration.

And if you watch E.T., characters like Greedo and Walrus Man and Snaggletooth died early on but still sold action figures.

I think GL just wanted to ensure the happy ending of the pirate getting the girl, and her brother being the stalwart knight whose love of his father saved the galaxy. Touching really, even though Ford lost interest years before. Kill Han Solo, and that happy little family finish gets silent and weird; Luke and Leia not sure if they should hug or hire a banjo player.

Given Ford's public disdain for Star Wars / Solo, I find it hard to believe he would have a sudden change of heart. Although given his recent box office returns I could understand his need to do something that would guarantee box office gold.

and he could snatch a deal and get a percentage of the ongoin merchandise this time (probably hammill and fisher should do the same)

I mean, yes we return but we want incoming cash for life :P

Actually I'm glad he didn't kill Solo. Nothing wrong with a happy ending to a story.

Don't forget about the early ending of ROTJ, where the Millennium Falcon explodes on its way out of the Death Star II, killing Lando.

Millions of people die when Alderaan explodes in a matter of seconds, but one Ewok dies and John Williams gives him about a minute of his own sad music that is instantly recognizable in its Battle of Endor: Part 47 track.

Were Richard Marquand (lol) and John Williams just heartless, or are Ewoks more important than Alderaanians?

I still don't understand Lucas' excuse of "well killing Han in ROTJ won't sell action figures."

Boba Fett and Darth Vader both died in ROTJ -- one early on, the other at the very end of the movie -- but they still sold action figures like hot cakes. Granted, they both still appeared in the movie as living breathing characters, as opposed to a wall decoration.

And if you watch E.T., characters like Greedo and Walrus Man and Snaggletooth died early on but still sold action figures.

I think GL just wanted to ensure the happy ending of the pirate getting the girl, and her brother being the stalwart knight whose love of his father saved the galaxy. Touching really, even though Ford lost interest years before. Kill Han Solo, and that happy little family finish gets silent and weird; Luke and Leia not sure if they should hug or hire a banjo player.

Nah, Luke and Leia shouldn't even be siblings, whether you want them to end up together or not. I do agree that Han should've died doing something in Jedi to help the Rebellion win; it completes his arc and gives more weight to the proceedings. The lack of costing anyone that we cared about (oh, but that poor Ewok!) makes the whole proceedings...all too easy.

I wish all characters would have died and meet in a church in the afterlife, with some banjo music playing in the background.

Has this board ever talked about banjos twice in seven posts? (Or now three times in ten?)

This is what I was getting at.

At his age, or rather any age after Star Wars, I don't think money is an issue.

The lack of [losing] anyone that we cared about (oh, but that poor Ewok!) makes the whole proceedings...all too easy.

You mean like how Obi-Wan tells Luke how precise the laser blasts were on the Jawa sandcrawler, but then the stormtroopers couldn't hit a single hero in the rest of the saga? Biggs doesn't count because by the time the Galactic Civil War picks up in Star Wars, I don't consider TIE fighter pilots to be garbage clones, but real human beings who enlist into the Imperial navy. I don't care if I'm wrong.

But the personal loss in the saga is manifested through Luke Skywalker, and he loses plenty of people to motivate him. His aunt and uncle, for starters, gunned down by the Imperial machine. He is quickly introduced to Obi-Wan Kenobi who becomes a mentor and surrogate father figure, but gets to watch him cut down in cold blood by the beast who killed his father. He meets Yoda who replaces Kenobi but ultimately dies as well. And when he finally gets his father to be civil towards him, he dies.

Leia loses her entire homeworld, but seems to forget all about it after a few minutes and go back to her cold-hearted arrogant self. We meet various Rebel leaders in each chapter that aren't there for the next, aside from the unbeatable Wedge.

Han never loses anybody. He guns down a rival and ultimately gets to watch his former employer explode over a sand monster. They don't count and he remains an enigma. We never really hear Chewbacca's story -- I know that Han saved him from Imperial slavers but I don't think it was explained in the film, which means it doesn't count. Lando is also an enigmatic character, the Judas-turned-loyal friend who could have died but didn't. And then there are the droids, who break but never totally fail along the way.

But that's it. The "core" group of heroes stays intact throughout the journey, leaving Luke, the story's central hero, to suffer pain and loss that push him along his quest.

If anything, that makes ROTJ all the worse for being so unbalanced. I'm amazed at how much of that loss actually occurs in the original film, which was the "upbeat" one in the series, pegged as the one that's the most stripped-down and light-hearted. The double-loss that Luke suffers in that one does add emotional resonance, and so it makes it really baffling that the huge, final conflict, in what are supposed to be incredible odds, doesn't have any of that. We lose a few strangers, as is part and parcel with the whole battle thing, but the worst that happens to anybody we care about is that Leia gets a flesh wound and R2 is momentarily zapped. I feel that this is a big part of what makes ROTJ feel so much like a kids' film, as opposed to the simply "family appropriate" nature of the first two.

I'm even okay with Han living--Lando's death would have been effective as well, and I do like the idea of the core group staying intact. But the whole thing is just a bit too happy-go-lucky when we're not in that throne room. Tonally, ROTJ should've taken the best of ANH's optimism and adventure and the added depth and consequence of ESB and found a satisfying balance, but you never have that sense of blending. The tonal groups of the film--the harshness of Jabba's Palace, the kiddie fun of the Ewoks and the Battle of Endor, and the (best) character development of the Luke/Vader/Emperor sections never quite mesh.

Also, 3000 posts!

I think the ground portion of the Battle of Endor would have worked better in a torrential thunderstorm at night. Oh wait, that's the Battle of the Hornburg I'm thinking of.

I say make Star Wars VII dark and brooding, with a lot of internal conflict for the main character, and ditch John Williams' bold thematic approach because that isn't in demand anymore.

Disney's modern movies suck. Expect Johnny Depp and some other trendy actors, lens flares, orange and teal cinematography and complete lack of respect for good filmmaking.

Okay, you forgot Disney leaves their acquisitions alone. I question some of Kathleen Kennedy's decisions throughout the years, but she isn't going to team up with Jerry Bruckheimer any time soon.

Maybe, but I really think it's a tossup at this point, depending on who writes and who directs. I'd love to see Kasdan take either position.

I'm also curious as to who you guys would like to see shooting the films. I quite liked Steve Yedlin's work on Looper, and wouldn't mind seeing him reunite with Rian Johnson for at least one SW film.

As long as Kathleen Kennedy thinks Crystal Skull was a good movie, SW may very well be screwed.

Most of Kennedy's producing work is pretty solid, save for stuff like Crystal Skull and JP3. She got back into the animation game with co-producing the English dubs for Ponyo, Arriety and Persepolis a few years back -- which were pretty good films to boot. (Two were Disney releases, a hint at where she was going to go in the future.)

Lucas has a greatly reduced role for Episode 7 -- he's not going to write the dialogue or direct. There are dozens of capable, marketable filmmakers who would love the chance to do a Star Wars movie. And they're not going to be Gore Verbinski or Jerry Bruckheimer.

Disney's modern movies suck. Expect Johnny Depp and some other trendy actors, lens flares, orange and teal cinematography and complete lack of respect for good filmmaking.

Too late, Lucas already did that with the prequels.

True, but it could get worse. I mean, the prequels sucked, but Star Wars was trending toward the type of movies they turned out to be. Return of the Jedi, Ewok movies, Star Tours at Disney (love those all, though), cartoon shows, Special Editions with CGI crap all over the place.

Now, Indiana Jones IV, that was a kick to the nuts and absolutely shocking. How in God's name they could have screwed that up, we'll never know.

True, but it could get worse. I mean, the prequels sucked, but Star Wars was trending toward the type of movies they turned out to be. Return of the Jedi, Ewok movies, Star Tours at Disney (love those all, though), cartoon shows, Special Editions with CGI crap all over the place.

Now, Indiana Jones IV, that was a kick to the nuts and absolutely shocking. How in God's name they could have screwed that up, we'll never know.

But we do know.

Lucas pushed Spielberg in, Spielberg was bored, Lucas was his usual insane self, and Williams just stared incredulously at what was unfolding before his eyes.

Hey, even I can admit that was a great scene. Minus the lame villain death...

EDIT: And in the interest of fairness, I will more broadly admit that KOTCS was the first Indy film to have a truly sucky climax. For all their flaws, TOD and TLC each had a fine final act.

I say make Star Wars VII dark and brooding, with a lot of internal conflict for the main character, and ditch John Williams' bold thematic approach because that isn't in demand anymore.

The JW approach wasn't in demand back in the 1970s either. it was retro approach back then and John Williams brought it in demand.

Did anyone see last nights South Park, it incorporated the Disney purchase of Star Wars, the presidential election, Cartman rigging the election with the help of the Chinese all so that he is guaranteed a part in Star Wars Ep. VII as Cartman Skywalker. Good stuff.

btw Cartman Skywalker would be even worse than Jar Jar Binks.

Apparently Carrie Fisher has expressed interest in returning.

Apparently all three have expressed interest in returning.

Source: MSN.

Apparently I can post any thing I want without crediting a source

I do it all the time.

Sources, we don't need no stinking sources.

Apparently I can post any thing I want without crediting a source

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...eturn star wars :wave:

you should have done the google magic trick again.