John Williams' ROSEWOOD (1997) - 2013 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

filmmusic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I finally gave this a listen

While I do prefer this presentation of having all the film cues on one disk, it still doesn't significantly elevate my overall impression of this score. I'm not even sure what was unreleased as I didn't notice any amazing cues I never heard before

It's not something I'll be inclined to listen to often

I am agree that watching the film helps you to appreciate the score further but it is mostly very atmospheric and low key music outside the gospel songs and a few grander highlights. Williams did distill the most striking bits on to the OST but the full score has some more room for smaller nuances, not necessarily the biggest, boldest or the full throated but very beautiful and tuneful and intimate with great Southern flavour you don't often get to hear in JWs work these days.

I would say that if you are not a fan of this particular JW sound this set won't make you a believer.

Mann Rescues the Kids...was that on the OST?

Nope. That's new unreleased, great, stuff.

Oh and check the liner notes KM. Jeff Bond does a good job in tallying what everything is on the OST in comparison with disc 1.

As I said before on this very page there are some really wonderful bluesy/blue grass moments (especially for the guitar) in the score I wish JW had a chance to develop further but they are sadly just some short transitional passages that quickly disappear. But that's film music for you.

As I said before on this very page there are some really wonderful bluesy/blue grass moments (especially for the guitar)

I heard them..I was thinking hey JW did the Santaollala thing years ago

As I said before on this very page there are some really wonderful bluesy/blue grass moments (especially for the guitar)

I heard them..I was thinking hey JW did the Santaollala thing years ago

:lol:

Incanus your custom playlist definitely helps. :)

Karol

Well I am happy if that was of any help to enjoy the score more in its complete form. :)

• 2 weeks later...

In the booklet, Jeff Bond writes about track 3, The Hounds of Sumner, on CD 2: "combines the film take of "Arresting Aaron" with part of an alternate take of the same cue".

But the entire track's exactly the same as "Arresting Aaron" on CD 1 - so what does he mean here?

Can anyone who has the film perhaps explain?

No, it's exactly the same.

Actually I wondered about that too and thus didn't include it on that chronological track list.

Mike Matessino answered fommes' question here.

Jeff was relaying information I gave him, so I can answer. The film version of "Arresting Aaron" uses slate 37 in its entirety but the album partially uses slate 36. I don't know the exact timings. You'd have to sync up both and see where the change occurs but the point was to be accurate to the film. Sometimes decisions are made because of timing issues, whereas performance takes precedence on the album.

Mike

Karol

I own the OS soundtrack, but I don't think I've listened to it straight through even once. Really not sure whether I should get this.

As I said before if you do not have much interest in this score on the original OST I do no think this new set is going to magically change that. It is you could say more of the same, the extra unreleased music very much in line with what we have on the OST in style, orchestration, mood and feel. It is not like there is a robust symphonic work for full orchestra hidden in the unreleased music that would turn you around. So if this brand of JW Americana is not your thing I do not think it will be after listening to this score in lengthier form.

Well, I have listened to a few of the more prominent tracks, of course, and I know the flavor or texture of score.... I know how it sounds. But I am still considering getting it. For completeness's sake for one, and also because I might start digging this kind of score somewhere down the line. Oh well, if it's still available come Christmas, I will get it.

• 2 years later...

A Great addition to my collection.

I'm pretty new in "Expanded scores", but I feel this one is a must have because it adds so more texture to the OST.

I purchased the original CD some months ago and I didn't get very used to it. In fact, the few times I've listened it, I find it very vocal and a little bit repetitive.

So the first CD containing the instrumental score is soooo welcome!

And when we reconstitute the chronological playlist, the listening experience is even more greater.

Another great LLL release!

• 4 years later...

I checked my music folder, and the only track I have for active listening is the end titles. However, I went through a period a few years ago of getting rid of albums that didn't appeal to me in a specific mood (which is a really bad way of maintaining a score collection, but hey, it happened), and this would've been a victim.

I'll give this another listen, although I suspect I bought it largely to legalise the handful of tracks I did have.

• 4 months later...

I like the original Rosewood CD release (especially since my CD player can decode HDCDs) but didn’t feel there was much missing that would make buying the expanded version especially worthwhile.

Anyone care to tell me what I missed? I saw the track listing online, but that’s not the full story.

Mark

I don't think Rosewood is the kind of score where having the complete thing will change anyone's opinion of it. 

The whole score is about 85 minutes and the OST had 45 of it (the last track is a repeat of material already on the album) so there is certainly close to half the score that was unreleased before, but I don't think the extra 40 minutes bring anything entirely different to the table - there are no entire themes he left off, or unique colors or detours or anything. 

What is great about it though is the whole thing really lives and breathes in a different way when things build in chronological order. All the extra music really gets you settled in the world before things unfurl. 

Basically, I think if you like spending 45 minutes in this world, you'll like spending 85 minutes even more. But if the OST didn't do it for you, I don't think the whole score will change your mind.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Basically, I think if you like spending 45 minutes in this world, you'll like spending 85 minutes even more. But if the OST didn't do it for you, I don't think the whole score will change your mind.

If the film score is 85 minutes and disc 1 is only 78 minutes, does that mean disc 2 (the 50 minute OST) has exclusive score material that couldn't fit on disc 1? Other than the choral tracks (Look Down, Lord, Light My Way, the Freedom Train)?

I've never seen the film or listened to disc 2, much less studied what was exclusive to disc 1. I recall that LLL were contractually obliged to keep disc 2 identical to the OST release, no additional music allowed.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

If the film score is 85 minutes and disc 1 is only 78 minutes, does that mean disc 2 (the 50 minute OST) has exclusive score material that couldn't fit on disc 1? Other than the choral tracks (Look Down, Lord, Light My Way, Freedom Train)?

Nope, only those three choral tracks plus the OST has a few alternate takes and two overlays of a singing women.

• 7 months later...

So while reading Jay's spreadsheet, I noticed that two pieces don't seem to be on the LLL release at all: 3m5/4m1 New Extension and 8m3 New Alternate Ending.

Since I've read multiple times that the LLL release is considered as the definitive and complete edition, this is confusing :P Did I misunderstand something @Jay?