Who is the most overrated film composer in recent history?

Ricard

89 members have voted

1. 1. Most overrated film composer in recent history?

• Alexandre Desplat
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Howard Shore
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Other (specify)

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Highlights, please! :)

Well, this is the main theme, which is typically Desplat, so people who already dislike him may be turned off:

But that's not the best the album has to offer. Instead, the score is a deep exploration of emotions and the psychological state of the character. It has cues that explore dark and complex emotions like resentment, grief and unhealed wounds from the past. The cue below is a great example: it takes Tom's theme and puts it in a dark and sad place, just like the character. It's emotionally devastating:

This one has that Zimmer thing where he takes a simple melody and repeats it over and over, with each repetition becoming more and more emotional. But it's much more dark and profoundly sad, a great representation of the devastating choice the main character is making, which will have dire consequences for everyone:

The two cues below might be my favorites from the movie: tragic, dark and moving, but not in an exaggeratedly melodramatic way a la Horner or Barry (which, for the record, I also love):

This one is less somber, more positive and minimalistic, but it worked well with the finale of the movie:

Anyway, these are just some highlights, the whole album is worth listening! I just love more, for the lack of a better word, psychologically complex scores, like this and North's A Streetcar Named Desire.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, these are just some highlights, the whole album is worth listening! I just love more, for the lack of a better word, psychologically complex scores, like this and North's A Streetcar Named Desire.

Thanks for the highlights. I'll put it on an evening and see if it grabs my attention.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, this is the main theme, which is typically Desplat, so people who already dislike him may be turned off:

But that's not the best the album has to offer.

I don't like this typical piano-strings-and-woodwinds unisono in his themes like this. But I liked his main theme for Midnight Sky a lot, the score overall not so much. 

7 hours ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Damn, didn't know so many people hated Giacchino's work. Pity.

Thinking a composer is overrated doesn't mean I hate him (her).

I like Giacchino. I think he's a fine composer, but over the years I came to re-evaluate his work.
And in my opinion, he's not as interesting as I used to think.

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The answer is simple, dear boy. I enjoy it :)

I also enjoy being around people who share my passion for film music.

Sure, but there are a lot of threads to hang out in. There are plenty of them I don’t participate in because I have no interest in the topic. I think it’s unhelpful to the conversation to come in and say “actually this topic is stupid, fyi.”

55 minutes ago, Steffromuk said:

Thinking a composer is overrated doesn't mean I hate him (her).

I like Giacchino. I think he's a fine composer, but over the years I came to re-evaluate his work.
And in my opinion, he's not as interesting as I used to think.

I think, it would apply to all composers, If a composer writes between five to ten or eleven scores per year, like Giacchino does, you can not expect, that each one is a sophisticated masterpiece.

Still I think, this comparison, he is the JJ Abrams of film music isn't far from the truth. But I wouldn't call him overrated. I think, he is rated quite accurately.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Is that in any way supposed to be an argument against Thor's point?

In a joking "just having a bit of fun" sort of way. 

I think Giacchino is a decent composer, but I also think his best days were from the 2000s up until the early 2010s: Lost, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, Star Trek 09, John Carter, the ROAR cue from Cloverfield, Super 8... Jupiter Ascending, Inside Out and Tomorrowland were great as well, but since he became a superstar, his music was less and less appealing to me, with a few exceptions (like Spiderman).

On 14/09/2023 at 11:08 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

What does "overrated" mean?

It's a qualitative statement which translates as "I don't like what a lot of other people like".

It is not fact-based, and it is not evidence-based. On the other hand, it is arrogant, and blinkered.

It's an interesting parlour game, but that's about all.

I don't think so. In order to evaluate if someone is overrated or not, you have to look at the people who actually rate composers, and not at private people simply saying who they like. Award nominations, coverage by press and media, amount of work they get, what tiers of films they get - these are some objectifiable markers. And there is a lot of room for being actually overrated in that, because those things are driven much by things other than quality of someone's output.

13 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The "Your most disliked composer in recent history" thread?

No because there is skill required for writing music. There are people less skilled and there are people more skilled = difference in quality. 

This feels way too much like "your team didn't lose Timmy, you're just the second winner".

Speaking of which, what is your definition of "technical proficiency" you mentioned with Desplat? Is it a knack for choosing the exact right amount of orchestration? Because I never understood that term.

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

No because there is skill required for writing music. There are people less skilled and there are people more skilled = difference in quality. 

This feels way too much like "your team didn't lose Timmy, you're just the second winner".

Speaking of which, what is your definition of "technical proficiency" you mentioned with Desplat? Is it a knack for choosing the exact right amount of orchestration? Because I never understood that term.

Skilled = difference in quality is not true because you have to define quality. What is quality to you is not the same to someone else. I doubt for example, you would agree with the film critics on their selection of best composers or best scores.

Also, you can be really skilled and be overrated. You can be less skilled and be underrated. It is like anything else. You can be a really skilled chef and knows every technique in the book but I can still find your food to be overrated. On the other end, a guy running a food truck can be underrated. Shaquille O'Neal had very few fundamental basketball skills, but he was so unstoppable you can make an argument he was underrated. That is because skills are just one component to success, and it is arguably not as important as talent. There are a lot of composers who have years of education and can orchestrate and conduct their own scores and I still think they can't write a melody to save their lives. There are things you just can't teach or honed, and there are other trainable skills like perseverance, you need besides skills to succeed.

9 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

What I meant by that was, in layman's terms, he knows his way around the orchestra, but the end result just leaves me cold. His music is complex in it's constructs but it does not connect with me on an emotional level.

14 hours ago, Mephariel said:

There are a lot of composers who have years of education and can orchestrate and conduct their own scores and I still think they can't write a melody to save their lives.

This is a key aspect for me. Someone posted an unreleased JNH cue yesterday and several people raved about how beautiful it was. For me it came across as just sort of standard JNH underscore for two people talking. One person's amazing, memorable melody does nothing for another.

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Desplat's music sounds to me always like chamber music played by an orchestra, somehow a little bit overkill just for the sound color.

I totally get your point about his lower-key scores having a chamber music vibe, and even an apparent quaintness. Indeed, that’s why I love his music so much - It’s refreshing compared to the prominent wall-of-sound and sound-design approaches. But I’ve tried to link a few examples that demonstrate more complex and dense orchestral colours and textures.

Well, quite a lot of his scores are a bit rubbish (all the thriller stuff) but he just has to take the right sort of project.

24 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Oh yeah, James Newton Howard is a strong contender for most overrated of the last 20 years.

Is that because you find him a bit boring, or because his technical skills are below the Ivy League level you require before someone is allowed to go near composing music professionally?

I've liked everything he's done in the 2020s whereas the 2010s were a very mixed bag.

The problem is that (as he's said himself in interviews) he's developed a reputation for dependably writing scores in whatever shitty modern thriller style the director wants, really quickly, meaning everyone hires him. Unfortunately it means some of his stuff is really good and some of it is crap.

Of course, this is emotionally. I couldn't give less of a shit how technically proficient his music is.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

His scores are great nowadays and for the past decades.

Fixed.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Someone posted an unreleased JNH cue yesterday and several people raved about how beautiful it was. For me it came across as just sort of standard JNH underscore for two people talking.

I posted that cue, because some of my favorite JNH cues are just that: intimate, emotional music for conversations that are made more significative because of his music. The "epic" stuff is good, but the smaller moments in those scores is what made me a JNH fan.

This might be controversial but of all the ones I know, and based solely on the scores of his that Ive listened to, the most overrated composer in my opinion is probably Thomas Newman. I find his work to be ambient and athematic and unmemorable. I think Wall E is probably my favorite score of his that I've heard, if only because I actually can remember a cue or two from it.

3 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

This might be controversial but of all the ones I know, and based solely on the scores of his that Ive listened to, the most overrated composer in my opinion is probably Thomas Newman. I find his work to be ambient and athematic and unmemorable. I think Wall E is probably my favorite score of his that I've heard, if only because I actually can remember a cue or two from it.

No one could blame you for that based on his recent output, and I say that as a massive fan of his previously. I love his work for 1917 but other than that very little from the last decade has interested me except some bits of Skyfall, Spectre and Passengers. I'm a bit more forgiving of his Bond work than many others, although a lot of Spectre just goes down the generic electronic route for a lot of the action.

The problem is that he was put on the map by his atmospheric, experimental scores of the 00s and he's moved away from that style now. His last one, Elemental did absolutely nothing for me on a skim.

5 hours ago, Trope said:

I totally get your point about his lower-key scores having a chamber music vibe, and even an apparent quaintness. Indeed, that’s why I love his music so much - It’s refreshing compared to the prominent wall-of-sound and sound-design approaches. But I’ve tried to link a few examples that demonstrate more complex and dense orchestral colours and textures.

Desplat's dense and complex orchestral colors and textures is the problem for me. I listened to his score for Valerian and honestly, there are a lot of notes. Like  A LOT of notes. But it goes in one ear and out the other. Because there is no clear narrative or cohesion to me.