Who is the most overrated film composer in recent history?

Ricard

89 members have voted

1. 1. Most overrated film composer in recent history?

• Alexandre Desplat
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Howard Shore
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Other (specify)

5 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

This might be controversial but of all the ones I know, and based solely on the scores of his that Ive listened to, the most overrated composer in my opinion is probably Thomas Newman. I find his work to be ambient and athematic and unmemorable. I think Wall E is probably my favorite score of his that I've heard, if only because I actually can remember a cue or two from it.

Out of interest, have you tried listening to Newman with headphones? That’s a whole other experience. His compositions may appear simple but his production certainly is not!

I’m a fan of his minimalist and ambient approach, and I’d say I’ve probably listened to 90% of his output and loved nearly all of it. Perhaps I could suggest listening to Little Women, How to Make an American Quilt, Scent of a Woman, Angels in America, Road to Perdition, or even Tolkien (if you haven’t already).

6 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Desplat's dense and complex orchestral colors and textures is the problem for me. I listened to his score for Valerian and honestly, there are a lot of notes. Like  A LOT of notes. But it goes in one ear and out the other. Because there is no clear narrative or cohesion to me. 

I'm kind of with you. I find his music stuffed with ostinato to make up for a lack of rhythmic variation and counterpoint, and harmonically stagnant. 

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Indeed.

It's cues like this that made me love his music. Many people will say it's boring or dull, but for me it's some of his finest moments.

Stuff like this is making me a growing fan of his. He can be a little hit or miss, but rarely less than solid. He has a subtle craft not dissimilar from Horner in his 90's scores. I think I now place him a solid 5th on my favorite (not necessarily best) film composers list.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

I find his music stuffed with ostinato to make up for a lack of rhythmic variation and counterpoint, and harmonically stagnant. 

You're referring to Giacchino, right? I'm genuinely curious, can you link an example of Desplat not utilising rhythmic variation, counterpoint, and remaining harmonically stagnant (not including Wes Anderson films)? These thoughts have never crossed my mind while listening to Desplat, but maybe you're listening to scores I'm not familiar with.

2 minutes ago, Trope said:

You're referring to Giacchino, right? I'm genuinely curious, can you link an example of Desplat not utilising rhythmic variation, counterpoint, and remaining harmonically stagnant (not including Wes Anderson films)? These thoughts have never crossed my mind while listening to Desplat, but maybe you're listening to scores I'm not familiar with.

I mean, all four of those examples earlier in the thread show this, to me. There's a lot going on, but not much happening (my main complaint with Elfman). And yes, I feel the same way about Giacchino, but that's a tired road. 

Both Desplat and Giacchino are at their best when they just let their music breathe a little. When they are focused on bringing out the wonder and curiosity and the whimsical nature of human beings. I actually think Desplat does do counterpoints, good melodies, and interesting textures. But only in cues where you are allowed to notice them. For example, one of my favorites from Desplat is the Little Women cue. The music is not overly complex, but the layers and elements are put together in a way that enhances anticipation, and it feels magical. I still think the storytelling is a bit weak (it still sounds a bit like he is composing for himself rather than the picture) but this is the kind of stuff I dig. 

Giacchino is in the same boat. To me, his best stuff is not his frantic scoring, like Jupiter Ascending or Jurassic World: Dominion. That is because he has been reusing the same loopy strings, stretched horns forever and the unique narrative of the movie just fades away. Rather, it is when he is dedicated to bringing out a specific concept. Like Joy: 

Giacchino is a actually quite a charming composer. But you would never know if you just listen to his action scores. Even when he is using sweeping orchestra, it is best when he is focus on just making things wonderous and romantic:

The last point I want to make is that there are nuances to the question "Is a composer overrated." A composer can be overrated in specific situations, some genres, from certain perspectives, and underrated in others. 

3 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I still think the storytelling is a bit weak (it still sounds a bit like he is composing for himself rather than the picture) but this is the kind of stuff I dig.

I liked that more than most of his stuff I've heard, but it's still a little meandering. Or as you say, weak on storytelling. The music doesn't really go anywhere. Which is a complaint I could have about someone like John Adams, or other minimalist composers, but doesn't seem to bother me as much with them. I'll have to think about why that is.

Night on the Yorktown also reminds me of Goldsmith's 'The Enterprise' as well. If ever the fourth Kelvin film happens, I really hope it is used to launch the new Enterprise, because it would just fit really well.

1 hour ago, Remco said:

Wrong. All these are great scores, not just 'for his age' or anything.

Only the OST presentation is sub-par though, and so is the film mix (except for TLJ). 

I recently discovered Crystal Skull for myself, after years of believing the word of mouth that I read 15 years ago on the internet that 'Williams had lost it' or whatever. It is great too. Not every score can be a new Empire, but I think people like you simply raise the bar too astronomically high.

Within one sentence, you intentionally deligitimize criticism of JW's sliding quality by putting everything up against one of the greatest JW ever wrote, to then accuse the critics of putting the bar too high.

Now that's comedy.

6 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Nobody would care about BFG if it was sandwiched by two scores of the quality of Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, just like scores like Sabrina or Born On The 4th Of July aren't mentioned as much or held in as firm a memory because he wrote Last Crusade, Phantom Menace, and the likes shortly before or thereafter.

I don't think The BFG is as highly regarded as you seem to think it is...

15 hours ago, Remco said:

I think people like you simply raise the bar too astronomically high.

In the case of Maestro John Williams it’s kind of… normal, I guess. He’s one of the greatest film composers of all time after all, even his lesser works are better than almost every other film composer’s best work. 

9 hours ago, Trope said:

Congratulations! You just described the output of every composer in the history of western art music and film music! And if you argue otherwise about even a single one, you’d only be showing your lack of familiarity with their body of work.

The more you listen to a single composer’s work, the more you will find musical similarities and techniques applied regularly across different pieces. You will eventually begin to notice more subtle stylistic references (i.e. a particular phrase structure, orchestration, cadence, etc.). This repetition of musical features over time in a single composer’s body of work we call “musical voice” or “identity” and helps to distinguish one composer from another.

If you listened to any other composer’s output to the same detailed extent as you did John Williams, you would have no choice but to agree. Our limitations as humans prevent us from discovering this is true for each individual case - If we had infinite time and memory, this would be no problem.

I challenge you, even among the greatest composers of all time (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Ravel, Debussy, Bartók, Vaughan Williams, the list goes on), can you honestly tell me there is not the same balance (more or less) between original material and self-references that you find in Williams? I would even argue that JW has one of the best ratios of original:recycled material among the greatest film composers (Steiner, Korngold, Bernstein, Herrmann, Morricone, Goldsmith, Horner, etc.).

Completely agree with that assessment.

Just wanted to add, another mechanism often comes into play, especially in the area of song writing, where artists use a certain chord progression or chord sequence or melody just once, so they can say, I didn't repeat myself, but on the other hand not caring about how many other composers used exactly that same pattern. 

I guess, it is just natural, that composers who care a lot about not repeating themselves dip conciously or subconciously or just by accident into the buckets of other composers. And those who care most about, not sounding like others, thend to repeat themselves more.

9 hours ago, Trope said:

The more you listen to a single composer’s work, the more you will find musical similarities and techniques applied regularly across different pieces

Yeah, I like to put on the classical radio station and play guess the composer. If they don't get too obscure, I can get it right about 75-80% of the time for this very reason. 

I'll throw another name in there:

Hildur Guðnadottir.

It's a shame. I really feel that it's important that women get the same opportunities in the composer realm as men do. And Hildur seems like such a lovely person, but her music is really overrated in almost every way. There are so many female composers who do much stronger work and have a better musical voice.

Think Laura Karpman, Pinar Toprak, Germaine Franco, Nami Melumad, Amie Doherty.

I wish they would get the same praise of Guðnadottir seemingly gets for every score she writes

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I wish they would get the same praise of Guðnadottir

It’s because she won all the awards for Joker. The same thing happened to Rachel Portman. She wasn’t the best composer who happened to be a woman, but the industry wanted to show that they appreciate female film composers and she got all the best gigs after winning the Oscar for Emma.

I wish the sex of film composers didn’t matter at all, only the quality of the music they produce. I’m so tired of “female film composers”. I just want great scores by Film Composers, regardless of their sex. If a woman composer is as talented as a man, let her prove herself by getting major assignments. If no woman in Hollywood can write on the same level as the men, then studios shouldn’t hire them just to meet diversity quotas, because that only hurts the music. 
Nothing else should matter when hiring a film composer besides talent. Men or women should be hired only if they are talented, and every director should have the right to choose who they want to work with. 

I think, the "overrating" of Guðnadottir is not specific to her or female composers. This hyping happens all the time in many places. It is much about cannibalization by media of a certain visibility of artists because they won an award or something. 

Basically, it is the reason why we have this thread.

15 minutes ago, Brónach said:

plenty of tasteless or directionless filmmakers though

Still it’s their film, their decision. 

3 hours ago, JTW said:

Nothing else should matter when hiring a film composer besides talent. Men or women should be hired only if they are talented, and every director should have the right to choose who they want to work with. 

I'd narrow that down to hiring based on the suitability of their style to the film. Some films clearly need a sweeping orchestral epic and others absolutely don't. Many here judge 'talent' and 'skill' by how well they handle an orchestra, instead of just how well their music conveys emotion.

7 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I am sorry, but I found this post to be baseless. Since Joker, she has done 3 films and none of them are blockbuster hits. The way people say she "got all the best gigs," you would think she is churring out scores like Lorne Balfe. Even critically, only Tar was a highly regarded film. Also, all this talk about her getting gigs because she is a woman doesn't make sense. Her trajectory isn't that different than Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor. They won an Oscar for Social Network and started to get gigs for directors looking for Avant-garde scores. 

And since Hildur Guðnadóttir won an Oscar and is critically praised, she is already proven right? Or do you mean she has to prove herself to the 200 people posting here at JWfan.com?

Lastly, we know women can write as good as men. How is this still a question today? You don't think Debbie Wiseman, Rachel Portman, Pinar Toprak, Anne-Kathrin Dern, and others can write as good as men? Not every guy is writing John Williams level scores.  

Also what were all these amazing gigs Rachel Portman was getting post-Oscar? She was working plenty doing like 2-3 movies a year but there was nothing unusual or disproportionate about her career, they were just a bunch of modestly budgeted dramas. She maybe got the best (or highest profile) crop of movies for women composers at the time but that in itself is pretty average when the highest budgeted movies she got in her heyday ($70m-80m) were Beloved, The Legend of Baggar Vance, Mona Lisa Smile, and The Manchurian Candidate...like come on. I'm not sure I can even pinpoint an especially great Hollywood film she worked on, her two Best Picture nominees Cider House Rules and Chocolat were pretty standard Miramax weepies. I'm not saying it's a bad career, she had a perfectly decent run, but it's hardly too much even if we call her overrated. 

The one thing I'll admit is that those four higher-budget movies were possibly movies that could have gone to Howard Shore, Thomas Newman, and Patrick Doyle based on the director associations, and it really is too bad what happened to their careers because of Portman taking those movies. 

Oh actually I forgot Hart's War which was a pretty expensive movie, that director's previous movie was Frequency, scored by Michael Kamen, who died right after Rachel Portman took Hart's War. So there could be something to that. 

Probably everyone who works right now in the US blockbuster industry. None of it is interesting (okay Wallfisch with The Flash works) - it is not composition, but simple content craftmanship. There was a recent quote on the deplorable hans-zimmer.com site about how Balfe is the fastest writer in the business. Not exactly difficult to see why - and I still don't see why these bellends don't realise they are talking themselves out of a job with AI!