What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Going in with an open mind, I took a shot and decided to try Paul, the Apostle. I was unsure of what to expect and while it is a bit slow it was a five out of ten for me. It had enough.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unsane - psychological thriller/horror with Claire Foy. It being shot on Soderbergh's iPhone (apparently) lends it a naturalistic air which helps with some of the more far-fetched parts of the plot.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

it's Spielberg's most enjoyable crowd pleaser since Jurassic Park in 1993.

High praise!

Will you check out the OST album of SIlvestri's score or was it not good enough to warrant a listen?

14 hours ago, Quintus said:

Ready Player One (no spoilers)

Steven Spielberg has rebooted. Either that, or he's still every bit the geeky kid with the broad wunderkind vision as he was in 1980. Because all the way through this latest fantastical and unabashedly absurd expanse of pixelgasmic cinematic smorgasbord, viscerally imaginative in ways which are often garish in the all-out dazzle of it; yet always spectacular and eye guidingly assured, it was astonishing and yet reassuringly probable to me that this movie was made by the 71 year old director of Jaws and Schindler's List. It now goes without saying that SS is truly the most versatile living director.

Who better then than the old king of Hollywood escapism to make the ultimate literal escapist's movie story - one where the chief protagonist finds a release from his bleak and hopeless life in a crammed-in caravan bunk into a virtual reality Oasis of limitless possibilities... so long as a person bases one's digital alter ego on one's favourite video game or movie character. Cue reference upon reference of pretty much all the major pop culture trends of the past thirty years, and these are endlessly delightful! But it is also stunningly cohesive and believable, suspension of disbelief here is effortless.

To mention any of this movie's surprise homages and tips of the hat would be a great disservice to anyone who like me didn't have a clue what to expect from this movie going in. But know that it is a treasure trove of knowing winks and vaguely recalled audible cues from other classic media - yet never do these embellishments feel forced or 'too much'. Indeed, I'd say they were intended to be intrinsic to the experience, and they are. It was honestly just one grin after another for me, to spot them all, although mileage with these things may vary I guess.

But beneath the virtuoso imagery (and lucid storytelling craftsmanship I expect from this filmmaker) there's a simple story here which is one of the most reliably archetypal and secure. It's basic good versus evil stuff, the little man rising to make a stand against the mean corporate oppressors whom would enslave the weak, or at least make them do hard virtual labour to work of their debt in credits owed to the company.

So with the promise of the greatest secret the Oasis has hidden deep within its magical systems up for grabs (its 'easter egg'), as carefully inserted by its maker, the first person who solves the riddles and beats the challenges will inherit it all... the ensuing quest is charming and rollicking, with all the right beats. Sidenote: this is mostly a very well paced action adventure movie - an ultra rare thing nowadays. If I had a criticism here it would be that there is one action sequence too many in the climatic third act, but ultimately I do not find this all that harmful to the film overall. It is relentless by this stage, but then Spielberg saves it with a warm and heartfelt crowd scene just before things were threatening to spoil.

The cast are all spot on and they fill their two dimensional and engaging roles perfectly. Ben Mendelsohn is far more dastardly and effective here than he was in Rogue One; Mark Rylance is superb in a role which has the most depth and real vulnerability; and Tye Sheridan is a good little find as the unknown newcomer who will lead his army of computer game character icons to victory. Then there's the side kicks, all of them rather wonderful, I thought.

The soundtrack is absolutely fabulous! Psst, Silvestri does okay too, he really does ;)

The track list is predictable but no less inspired, and it feels as key to the fabric of the film as any of the geeky references do. That's just it: everything is so well knitted together (I fucking love this level of filmic world building) and everything feels integral to the world Spielberg has created in his adaptation. And he shows that his grasp of music in film isn't limited just to orchestral underscore.

All told then, Ready Player One is Tron meets The Matrix by way of a thousand extraordinary 80s, 90s and 00s pop references and it's Spielberg's most enjoyable crowd pleaser since Jurassic Park in 1993.

4.5 out of 5

I agree with this, 100%!

What a fun, clever and well made movie this is. Spielberg can still outdo anyone in the action/adventure genre.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Are you expecting photorealistic speciale effects in a film that takes place in a video game environment?

That's what most gamers demand and what most game companies try to deliver. Games in 2045 will be ultra realistic so why wouldn't KK expect it?

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's what most gamers demand and what most game companies try to deliver. Games in 2045 will be ultra realistic so why wouldn't KK expect it?

Photorealistic, or ultra realistic? There's a difference Alex. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I know it's apples and oranges, but did you like The Post or Ready Player One more?

I liked both very much. But there's no point in comparing a political drama with a special effects action/adventure romp.

Both showcase that as a director, even in his 70's Spielberg knows better how to visually tell a story that anyone else.

Ready Player One.

Contains some spoilers

Spoiler

Contains a truckload of references to films of the 70's and 80's. And probably dozens or hundreds of videogame references that I didnt pick up on. 

But that isnt really the point of the film. The film indulges in them because that's what the characters indulge themselves in. And seeing I'm writing this on a message board dedicated to a composer who came to prominence in that era, it actually hit home for me a couple of times, past seeing Spock's torpedo coffin from TWOK, or the BTTF car.

I like the stylistic difference of the 2 worlds we're seeing. The "real" one,w here everything looks like it came from either a junk-yard or a charity show. and the OASIS, a virtual world where pretty much anything goes. People spend much more time there than in the real world, which is why it looks so shitty.

The plot is basically a good guys versus evil corporation story. With our heroes' self chosen avatars often a more flattering portrait of their real selves.

Spielberg is a director who likes to keep his action grounded in reality most of the time. But with Tintin he really pushed the boat out because he was doing animation. He repeats that here. Because much of the action takes place in a computer game enviroment, the sky is the limit and Spielberg stretches his legs once again. His camera moves around with glee while our heroes in their various avatars perform stunts of unfeasible physical prowess. ASnd it doesnt get murky or unclear. 

The CGI here, once again by ILM is often larger than life in the OASIS. and very grounded in reality in the real world. Even the stacked trailers looked great.

Spielberg finally does a big CGI battle with thousands of people, but it's windowdressing and he never loses focus on the main characters. (who feel like slightly more grown up versions of the E.T. or Goonies kids)

The tone of the film does resembles 1980's Amblin quite a bit. There's a message there that Spielberg is telling. About how we become obsessed with our online life at the expense of our real one. But he never preaches this message, or judges us any harder than he should. I liked that in the end the OASIS closes down twice a week so we can pay attention to the real world. :)

The stakes feel real for the characters, but it's thankfully not a heavyhanded film. Some people will probably judge it for that in this age of Nolan and Marvel. I don't.

Spielberg has some balls. In The Post he aligned his film with All The Presidents Men by ending his on the exact scene the Pakula one started. In Ready Player One he has fun with Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. 

The score fit the tone of the film like a glove. It's not something I think Williams would have done any better.

This is a really well done film and I'll be seeing it again soon.

Schindler's List is far far far more serious, dramatic, and weight-y of a film than The Post.

Ready Player One - I think I'm pretty much loved every minute of this. 

The cultural references never felt forced, and they served the plot-well. The scavenger hunt plot in particular reminded me a lot of The Goonies, which I dug, and the film really gave me a sense of fun and whimsy, something that seems to be sorely lacking in a lot of modern films. Not to mention the soundtrack was great. Plus aside from some small slow scenes, for a 2 and a half hour film, it went by relatively fast. The Berg is still the best. - 8 / 10

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You're a Nolan devotee though right? You should probably stay away from this. It is not for you.

You're just cradling Quintus' balls so he sticks around!

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:
Ready Player One - I think I'm pretty much loved every minute of this ... reminded me a lot of The Goonies ... which I dug ...

Thanks for the warning! 

Annihilation. I liked it. The last 20 mins for so reminded me quite a bit of 2001: ASO. Alex could like this one...

The first 2/3s are mostly mood building, with some philosophical themes sprinkled in. Shoddy CGI, they probably had a low budget for this one. There is one setpiece in the middle that's thrilling, terrifying, and disturbing in equal measure. 

But the last half hour or so really elevates the whole thing. 

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:

Shoddy CGI, they probably had a low budget for this one.

40 million, which is not enough to get the best effects.

7 hours ago, Hurmm said:

But the last half hour or so really elevates the whole thing. 

It certainly was the best part, IMO. But everything (and I do mean everything, flashbacks included) before that was too mainstream. In fact, I was surprised why it didn't make theatres.

Ready Player One silly. 

We saw a sneak of A Quiet Place last night. Its a film to not be spoiled.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Why?

Karol

Seriously? 

27 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Seriously? 

Yeah. People were not particularly taken by it during our showing. No laughs or anything like that. Very muted reaction. I enjoyed it while watching (especially the second paet) but soon forgot about it entirely. It was fun but insignificant.

Karol

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I enjoyed it while watching (especially the second paet) but soon forgot about it entirely.

You've been saying that about a lot of films. Is your memory alright? ;)

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Yeah. People were not particularly taken by it during our showing. No laughs or anything like that. Very muted reaction. I enjoyed it while watching (especially the second paet) but soon forgot about it entirely. It was fun but insignificant.

Karol

it's not a comedy, what the hell are you talking about. It's a very entertaining, very original, and very frightening horror film. The best film of the year so far IMHO