Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, already I am spoiled! (BTW wouldn't it be more grammatically correct for No to come before f-ing, not after?)

Oh wait, I don't know anything about what the movie is going to be about..

It's only a matter of time though isn't it?

If spoilers are a problem then avoiding this thread would be a good idea.

Saying that we don't know much beyond the inclusion of the Falcon, X-Wings and Stormtroopers. Unimaginable stuff.

It's early days yet though in't it. When we're at 2 weeks till launch, Western online civilisation is going to already know how everything looks, sounds and plays out. The movie is to be stripped bare before it even comes out.

So yeah, basically, the 'magic' of Star Wars and cinema hasn't a chance in hell of materialising here. Which is to be entirely self inflicted by prying eyes who will pay for tickets. And of course they will still blame the movie afterwards for being "lame" and "predicable", going on to write about it online in the months and years beyond.

Circle of life.

If you are a firm believer that Star Wars thrives on cinema magic then you better start clapping your hands as if your in Neverland and refrain from harvesting every morsel of leaked news on the production.

Lol as if.

I agree and disagree. It's expectation that's a killer for me.

When Into Darkness was about to come out, I broke my own rule of not listening to the score, for instance, and gave in just listening to the suite which was released on the radio broadcast. Here, I'm going to try not to see the trailer or listen to any of the score before I see the movie, because as Quintus has rightly pointed out that the magic wears off considerably if you know even the slightest. I believe even seeing the trailer will ruin everything for me.

I've enforced a blanket ban on trailers for two years strong now. It really works!

Without a doubt I'll be the only one here who doesn't watch the Star Wars trailers.

I'll probably break or see it unexpectedly during the trailers when viewing a film at the theaters. One trailer recently ruined the film for me and that was The Last Airbender a few years ago. I adore the animated series and seeing that trailer was amazing and then I saw the film

:Obi-Wan-Scream.jpg

but that was probably the fault of the movie. More recently was Guardians of the Galaxy which had some of the best bits in the trailer...

I don't watch trailers online with rare exceptions (I checked out the recent The Hobbit trailer before I saw it in theaters, and I know I'll check out a new Star Wars trailer), but I am pretty selective about what I pay $12+ to see in theaters (vs. $1 rental), so I love watching trailers. My spouse always gets frustrated when there are a lot of trailers in front of a movie, but I love it. I wish there were 45 minutes of trailers in front of movies.

Watching trailers is fine since it's official marketing material that generates hype and studios are usually pretty careful about what they show and hide.

It's all the plot leaks and endless discussion on forums piecing together the whole story before people even see it that I just can't work out. Obviously knowing the Falcon is in the movie isn't really a spoiler, it's just a bloody vehicle. But I'd be pissed if I found out it blows up before seeing the film. Then the element of surprise is robbed, and many fans seem content to deprive themselves of that anyway.

I agree story spoilers should be in spoiler blocks, no question.

Since this is going to be a hugely popular movie, a separate spoilers allowed hype thread might be a good idea. Not sure...

I agree story spoilers should be in spoiler blocks, no question.

Since this is going to be a hugely popular movie, a separate spoilers allowed hype thread might be a good idea. Not sure...

Whether the spoilers are presented here or in another thread, yes, let's please keep them hidden. I'm definitely among those who like to be surprised while watching the film.

I wonder if they'll still use that same lame "EPISODE I" style and font for the new trilogy's marketing material? Or will they give the subtitle more prominence like in Empire and Jedi?

I feel like STAR WARS will have the most prominence this time around.

Watching trailers is fine since it's official marketing material that generates hype and studios are usually pretty careful about what they show and hide.

That's BS these days I'm afraid Drax. Watching trailers used to be exciting and necessary, but then Superman Returns and its trailer happened.

That's BS these days I'm afraid Drax. Watching trailers used to be exciting and necessary, but then Superman Returns and its trailer happened.

Curious about this - do you mean the teaser trailer with Routh floating above Earth, w/ Brando dialogue and Williams music? Or a later trailer that revealed something more about the movie?

I wonder if they'll still use that same lame "EPISODE I" style and font for the new trilogy's marketing material? Or will they give the subtitle more prominence like in Empire and Jedi?

I feel like STAR WARS will have the most prominence this time around.

I think Star Wars or Episode VII are the most likely emphasis points. If they were going with the title they'd have announced it by now. It's been EPISODE VII since October 2012 now, it's probably the most ingrained in public conscious.

One of my friends went to the loo during the Dol Guldur scene. Whoops. I never go to the toilet during a film.

I had to go during the High Fells