Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

Wow! Confirmation from a random source!

Why couldn't Disney have confirmed this themselves on twitter or something?

Oh well. It's good to know, now!

I wonder if this passage will be on the CD?

The source confirms also that JW had nothing to do with the final music in the second teaser.

They repurposed music from Empire Strikes Back and created an arrangement

https://www.facebook.com/conrad.pope/posts/10207402507493840?comment_id=10207402953264984&reply_comment_id=10207404041572191&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D&pnref=story

So JW wrote two options for the second teaser, but they didn't use any of them. First proof of unused JW original music! :)

Could well be, but what if it's Kylo Ren's? The Imperial March harmonies on the string triplets are very caracteristic. It may be even trying to evoque a sensible soul for that character, that we already know has some interesting backstory.

We'll find out soon enough!

It seems like a concert arrangement to me. I asked Hal Leonard if they were going to edit a suite from the movie, but of course they didn't reply!

(Quote removed at the request of the source)

Wow, I hope this tone-deaf pricks aren't involved with the music of the film itself.

Which also confirms that none of them like the new cookie cutter Giacchino-sounding theme.

You think the flute solo in the TV spot sounds like Giacchino?

Which also confirms that none of them like the new cookie cutter Giacchino-sounding theme.

What, did I imagine this whole thread where numerous examples of similar-sounding Giacchino tracks were posted?

According to the poll, all these people were wrong!

KK., king mark, Ricard, someonefun124, Jack, natedog, Timo Martikainen, Simon R., Nemesis

At least we had an opinion! ;)

Hey, at least it means Williams is exploring new stylistic grounds! ;)

Karol

What, did I imagine this whole thread where numerous examples of similar-sounding Giacchino tracks were posted?

I asked if YOU think the tv spot theme sounds like Giacchino, not anything to do with what others have posted.

I don't think it sounds like Giacchino at all, personally.

This particular arrangement is NOT Williams'. I'll eat my shorts if it is. Don't care if it's been allegedly "confirmed". But I have no doubt that it's original Williams at the core.

This particular arrangement is NOT Williams'. I'll eat my shorts if it is. Don't care if it's been allegedly "confirmed". But I have no doubt that it's original Williams at the core.

Why are you saying "allegedly" and putting "confirmed" in quotes? Do you have a reason to think Mr. Oppido is lying?

The melody's fine, I won't deny that it worked its way into my head, but I can't judge that fairly because I listened to it like 20 times trying to decide if it was Williams or not, and then another 20 after the rumors started pointing toward him, hoping that maybe I would fall completely head over heels for it. :P

It's just people immediately declaring it as Rey's theme started worrying me. If that's the expectation and therefore probably the most significant addition to "the canon," then it's a bit disappointing so far. I'm still holding out hope that this is more incidental and that the core melodies in waiting have more oomph, or that this one goes some interesting places after the first phrase. The feel of it reminds me a little of Cinque's Theme, which I love but is also not like an instant dynamite tune. Maybe it's a grower, not a shower.

At any rate I'm sure the flute carries on with a much longer melody than just this snippet and I still don't think the stuff after 19 seconds is him. Or at least it won't sound like that. That part still sounds like an imitation and ruins it for me. Yes he likes harp glissandos but would he accent them as obviously as that, exactly the same way twice in a row? They're so loud and upfront, kinda hacky in comparison to the more subtly coloristic use of the gliss in the beginning. The beginning is pleasant enough and yes it does sound like Williams, but I just plain don't enjoy listening to what comes after it and that's all I can go on. If it's actually Rey's theme, why would that sudden, evil sound be a part of it, anyway?

Why are you saying "allegedly" and putting "confirmed" in quotes? Do you have a reason to think Mr. Oppido is lying?

Yes. Lying, misinformed, misunderstood, whatever. This arrangement is NOT Williams. I'll bet you a million dollars! But the theme may very well be.

He said "the use of an actual cue from the film ". "Actual cue", to me, means its the same recording as a film cue, put into a tv commercial.

He said "the use of an actual cue from the film ". "Actual cue", to me, means its the same recording as a film cue, put into a tv commercial.

It can also be interpreted as the use of a cue that is then "beefed up" in a new arrangement by someone else.

I'm hearing this promo at my gym every day now. It's playing throughout the building on their speakers every hour, and as soon as Rey's Theme starts it grabs your attention right away.

All capped off by the brilliant rendition of "Yoda and the Force".

It literally says that the only thing from John Williams is the G Minor Flute solo, to me, the only part that sounded like a real instrument. That flute solo alone has been confirmed to be a cue from the Force Awakens and considering the melody was able to be instantly catchy I bet with some real orchestration force behind it will sound quite splendid.

I remember one of the JWfan users posted a mock-up of the melody on piano and it sounded a lot better than how it was presented in the TV spot so only time shall tell.

According to the poll, all these people were wrong!

KK., king mark, Ricard, someonefun124, Jack, natedog, Timo Martikainen, Simon R., Nemesis

Bah!

Can't wait for all the naysayers and people on the fence to write essays about how much they love the theme now!

Still not really convinced by it. But again, we haven't really heard much, have we? Maybe the full score will do the trick.