Alan Rickman RIP

Damien F

I havent seen a lot of his roles. But I also don't think I've seen him do anything that I didnt like.

He was brilliant of course in Die Hard, playing a villain that really influenced the genre. Giving us a character who's evil, but intelligent, urbane, and very witty.

He single-handedly made Prince Of Thieves watchable by delivering a over-the-top, but deliciously fun performance.

His performance in Galaxy Quest of Alexander Dane, the actor with a chip on his shoulder is hilarious.

And in the Harry Potter films he was always outstanding as the grumpy and sinister Snape, who always seemed to be carefully plotting Harries demise, until it turned out he was perhaps his greatest protector. The shift from "red-herring" villian to tortured hero is done so brilliantly that I doubt any other actor could have matched him, especially considering it happens with so little screen time.

I also remember him being excellent in Quigly Down Under.

Loved Robin Hood: Prince of thieves, his performance and Kamen's score are both fantastic. Likewise for Die Hard. His Snape was a treat. I actually just got around to purchasing Kamen's wonderful score for the Rickman directed 'The Winter Guest' (they were great friends). They also collaborated on the song for the film with Rickman writing the lyrics. Such a sad loss. RIP.

He was a huge part of my childhood. I feel very empty right now. May he rest in peace.

What a beautiful post, Sharky. I'm sorry for your loss.

Absolutely devastating. 69 is far too young for an actor of Rickman's caliber to go.

He was a brilliant Snape, but he ruled in other gems like Galaxy Quest. Even enjoyed his directorial debut The Winter Guest.

3 hours ago, Sharky said:

Bowie was a big loss, but this is much more personal, as Alan was a close friend of the family. My father (a former stage actor) knew him since performing together in at the Phoenix, Leicester on the Richard Crane play Gunslinger in 1976. Thanks to this friendship I even got to visit the set of Leavesden Studios in the summer of 2003 during the filming of The Prisoner of Azkaban, meeting up with Alan, but also Robbie Coltrane and the rest of the cast. At the age of 11 it was a wondrous experience and something I'll never forget.

I'll be visiting my parents today to see how they are. My thoughts go out to his wife, Rima. RIP.

Wow, that's terrible to hear.  Sad news and he was a scene stealing character actor in every role.  RIP.

I'm absolutely shocked. I wasn't aware he was battling cancer. Devastating.

We just watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves a couple of weeks ago, and I said aloud (at the point when he kills Guy of Gisborne and says, "Well at least I didn't use a spoon!"), "No one does it better than Rickman." The way he chewed the scenery in every role was simply exquisite. When I think of all the roles he could've played in his later years. . . .

This year's "In Memoriam" montage on the Academy Awards is going to be one of the hardest ever to watch.

Personally this loss hits me harder than any  artist loss in a long time.

He was amazing as an actor and every testimonial declares him and even greater individual.

He lives on in our memories and his portrayals. Mr. Potter, our new celebrity. Nice suit. John Phillips, London. I have two myself. Rumor has it Arafat buys his there.