Hans Zimmer Retires from Superhero Genre

crumbs

Hans Zimmer appeared this morning on the BBC current affairs & arts programme Hard Talk & while chatting to the presenter about his views on whether or not the current state of the the Hollywood machine with the superhero genre is running out of steam, he officially announced he is retiring from the scoring superhero movies.

Some interesting comments from Zimmer before the obnoxious presenter keeps cutting him off before he can elaborate on the point he was trying to make. I haven't seen BvS but it sounds like 3 more hours of dreary, joyless misery from Snyder.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/hans-zimmer-officially-retires-from-the-superhero-genre-a132806

I am not surprised if Hans is retires from the genre but am also sure such films are in the safe Holkenborg/Djawadi/Balfe hands even if the master won't be scoring them.

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Hans also told us At World's End would be his last Pirates movie.

Yeah, he's done with comic book movies until they add another 0 to the end of his paycheck.

I like Zimmer, but I'm okay with this.  I haven't cared much for MoS and Amazing Spider-man 2, so I'm ready for him to do something interesting/unexpected/god forbid QUIETER. 

I don't mean every Zimmer score should sound like Interstellar, just that I like him doing more interesting and different projects.  I also just plain don't like any superhero score I've heard from him so there's that.

Would be refreshing to hear him explore other things. But this could be like his whole "I'm retiring from film music" spiel again.

I'll take his retirement comment with a grain of salt. I remember before MAN OF STEEL, he said it was "out of the question" to do a SUPERMAN movie -- because it would be impossible to follow in Williams' footsteps, but he did that anyway.

My guess is he'll take a break from them, but then return later on -- if the project or filmmaker is interesting enough.

As a huge Zimmer fan, I'd rather see him focus his energy on other types of scores -- and hopefully continue his collaboration with Nolan, which always brings out the best in him.

Hope he will enrich Star Wars universe in the same way he helped to shape and define modern superhero landscape. After a very nostalgic VII there is a perfect opportunity for this franchise to move on and explore the uncharted territory of a galaxy far far away..

Karol

This is probably a good thing if he means what he says. I am growing a bit tired of his contributions to the superhero world to be honest. Would love him to do something like "A League of their Own" again.