Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Beyond - NEW 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Haven't had the particular motivation to pick up the OST for this yet (likely bc I haven't seen the movie - I liked both of his previous).  So this release saved me an OST purchase. ;)

Hope this sticks around long enough for me to afford it.

A lot of the best music in the movie was left off the OST so on the one hand I'm glad this exists.  On the other, coming out less than 6 months later, they should have just released this alongside the single disc version, kinda like what WaterTower did for Fantastic Beasts. Double dips are annoying.

But still, glad to have the music.

I shall pass.

Oh and that's a lot of puns. 

I am tempted by their other release, Delerue's Agnes of God, though.

Ordered! A nice surprise. I held off buying the OST in the hope they'd complete the Deluxe Edition collection but I didn't expect it so soon!

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Does it look like everything is in there?

No idea, since neither the sheet music nor recording sessions have leaked (that I know of).  And I never ripped the 7.1 track off the blu ray because I figured this would be coming.  Glad I was right!  Looking forward to hearing this very much!

30 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

TWO Concert Suites. Interesting. Let's see what Gia has in store.

Isn't there three - "Krall Things Being Equal" being the third?  Or is that a score cue moved out of the main program?

25 minutes ago, petaQ said:

Wait, the chairman of the board of the Giacchino hater thread is buying a Giacchino? Or because you're a Trekkie? 

Humor.  It is a difficult concept.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't there three - "Krall Things Being Equal" being the third?  Or is that a score cue moved out of the main program?

It isn't named like a concert suite though. Who names a concert piece like that? Gia?

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It isn't named like a concert suite though. Who names a concert piece like that? Gia?

I have no idea what it is, I'm simply assuming based on its placement at the end of the second CD that its a concert arrangement of Krall material.

I hope this gives some hidden delights to my least favourite and least listened-to Giacchino Star Trek score. At the moment the suites are the only appealing part... but Krall's theme isn't very interesting.

Should be some pretty good stuff since the running time is double the OST's.  But frankly I only saw the movie once so don't remember any details of unreleased highlights

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

I shall pass.

Oh and that's a lot of puns. 

I am tempted by their other release, Delerue's Agnes of God, though.

YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS! :lol:

Actually, AGNES OF GOD is nigh-on essential. If you can only afford one, STB can fuck off.

Ordered!  I bet Varese got this up so soon to quash an impending bootleg from popping up, just like it did last time with Into Darkness, a few months ahead of Varese's set.

Every score Giacchino wrote until recently had their sessions leak shortly after their OSTs, there was nothing unique about ST09 or STID in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Shows you how much I pay attention; I didn't even remember she had a theme :P  I saw that track title and was like "oh.  Cool?"

It was unforgivably used in such a sparse way. 

I have a feeling this release will improve my opinion of this score (which was by no means negative, just less enthusiastic than for the first two).  It certainly stands as my favorite Giacchino soundtrack of this year right now.  Of course, I'm hoping Rogue One is much better than this one.

Now we just need a deluxe Jupiter Ascending score. The full Symphony (or all the music Giacchino wrote prior to anything being filmed) [2 discs?] and the latter being the complete score as in film. [another 2 discs]

Would be an amazing box set...but it'll probably never happen

10 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Now we just need a deluxe Jupiter Ascending score. The full Symphony (or all the music Giacchino wrote prior to anything being filmed) [2 discs?] and the latter being the complete score as in film. [another 2 discs]

Would be an amazing box set...but it'll probably never happen

You could do that with 3 discs. Think there must be about 80 minutes of pre-filming material. And about 55 of it appears in the film. And there's another hour (or more) of post-filming stuff (perhaps more). Wouldn't be surprised if the OST contained all the early recordings.

Not sure if there would be many alternates in this case.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You could do that with 3 discs. Think there must be about 80 minutes of pre-filming material. And about 55 of it appears in the film. And there's another hour (or more) of post-filming stuff (perhaps more). Wouldn't be surprised if the OST contained all the early recordings.

Karol

from a source:

"but the 9 suites that are on the discs are what we cut half the movie's cues out of, so that makes it a complete score CD minus a couple things, and the couple things he left off weren't very necessary. We didn't use every second of every suite but that's where 50% of the score comes directly from. The rest, he scored later and most of that appears on the soundtrack."

Apparently the suites are as follows, 4 movements, The Abrasax Family Tree, The Titus Clipper, A Wedding Darker, It's a Hellava Chase, Commitment, both Dinosaur cues, and I Hate My Life

Ah, yeah he wrote about an 80 minute piece of music. Apparently, he took about 55% of that material.

There's only 15 minutes of unreleased film cues. All the suites recorded before filming are on the OST. 

This should help:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22972-michael-giacchinos-jupiter-ascending-2015/&do=findComment&comment=1097481

Regarding Jupiter Ascending, if I remember correctly, all of the June 2013 (Ludwig Wicki) material is on the album, as is about 35 minutes of the March 2014 (Ziegler) material.  The LA stuff consists mostly of overdubs and patches and isn't represented on the album at all.

On the subject of Star Trek Beyond, ASCAP lists one cue that does not appear to be represented on the DE - 12 Angry Kirks.