The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) - film and score (Brian Tyler)

Jay

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2022 at 10:19 AM, Edmilson said:

I doubt  Tyler's orchestral interpretation of the Mario theme will be better than the LPO's ;)

Lovely arrangement, but I don't like how so many orchestral interpretations swing the Mario melody in that jazzy way. It's supposed to be calypso - the feel comes from the syncopation of straight rhythms, you don't need to swing! I get that it's intentional - they're going for an orchestral soft-shoe/foxtrot kind of thing, but still, I think it weakens the greatest asset of Kondo's iconic music.

Well that’s based off the terrific Mario Sunshine arrangement of the theme, so it gets a pass, plus it’s not really orchestral (the album it’s from is a big band live performance). That whole album is great, I used to listen to it all the time. The rousing encore of the Mario 64 Rainbow Road/slider theme is so much fun!

The only part of the clip I really found interesting was the music - hopefully that’s representative of the whole score!  Otherwise, I just have to accept that a Super Mario movie is not For Me.  I’ll have to watch it eventually either way, as I have a young kid.

I've seen more than enough from the teaser and the first trailer to be optimistic about the movie, I'm not gonna watch any further trailers and certainly not a clip!

Glad that people liked the music they heard in the clip though.

I hope the musical references aren't just about the nostalgia of millennials/gen xers (ie, references to Mario games from 1985-1996).  There's a wealth of amazing Mario music from the last 20 years too that shouldn't be ignored.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope the musical references aren't just about the nostalgia of millennials/gen xers (ie, references to Mario games from 1985-1996).  There's a wealth of amazing Mario music from the last 20 years too that shouldn't be ignored.

I agree - and some of the best Mario music isn’t even widely known, like the more recent Paper Mario games. I suspect the film will only use themes composed by Koji Kondo (partly because he’s involved in the film itself), which will bias the options away from the excellent recent music but will still be enough to be great.

I like what I hear so far - shades of Powell’s animation writing with lots of fun twists and turns and instrumentation. Particularly love the cool rendition of the OG Mario theme, really amplifies the fun rhythm of Kondo’s music!

Listening again and I just noticed the fun “bop” sample from the New Super Mario Bros theme just as he pops out of the pipe. Hope the whole score is peppered with these kinds of fun easter eggs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We can only hope that the cast of this one enjoyed making it more than Bob Hoskins did the last time round - 

'In a 2007 interview, Hoskins said "The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Brothers. It was a fuckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin' nightmare. Fuckin' idiots." He and Leguizamo would get drunk before each day of filming and would continue to drink between takes. In a 2011 interview, he was asked, "What is the worst job you've done?", "What has been your biggest disappointment?", and "If you could edit your past, what would you change?" His answer to all three was Super Mario Bros.'

I've watched a few Youtube Making Ofs that go in depth on the disaster of the film. It truly is astounding how these directors talked themselves into the job and then went full ego crazy all while making a movie with little connection to the games it was based other than a few names.

Its not surprising that Nintendo has been so protective of its IPs ever since. I just hope this new movie is a hit so we can finally get a Legend of Zelda movie, something I've been waiting for thirty years to see.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Ahaha I love that. Feels like a throwback to the Super Mario Brothers Super Show. And now I present one of my favourite things from childhood, the unhinged song from that show, set to the melody of the Mario overworld theme:

The little stumble at the end... it's perfection.

23 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

From the score? Or something else?

Definitely not from any game, it’s not quite the same as any game variation. My first guess would have been that it was written promotionally (like trailer music), but a few moments have harmonies that sound like something that would be added in a movie proper. It could also be from a concert, which I wouldn’t be familiar with.

Apparently you can also find a bit of the track on the plumbing website 404 page:

https://www.smbplumbing.com/404/

It supposedly plays after you click each pipe from left to right (doesn’t seem to work on mobile)

• 2 weeks later...