Star Wars Disenchantment

John

51 minutes ago, Demodex said:

So your source is someone at LFL, but you keep telling us LFL is lying to us.  Ok.  🤘🤔

That statement implies you are wasting our time because there's no chance we are going to change your mind. 

What makes you think I have a source at LFL? I merely paraphrased what Iger said in his published book, combined with George Lucas' claim that he left the company so he wouldn't "muck everything up", as he told Charlie Rose.

If changing my mind is the reason you're here - your ultimate goal, so to speak - yes, you're wasting your time. If you were going to present something of real substance  that would at least begin to convince me that I'm wrong, surely you would have done so by now.

You really should be here to learn... to use our posts to invoke thought and consideration.

17 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Oh, I have no interest in trying to persuade you. I'm just fascinated with your answers.

How about this—what are some examples of multi-decade franchises whose films were not planned out? And how do you know?

I'm curious, what aspect of my evidence, logic, and theories is most fascinating to you?

I would venture to say that nearly all multi-decade franchises of films were not planned out from the beginning. I have no evidence of this, unlike with Star Wars, of which I have evidence that indicates that it was planned.

Weren't Bob Iger and George Lucas sources from LFL?  🤔😄😄

7 minutes ago, Mattris said:

If you were going to present something of real substance  that would at start to convince me that I'm wrong, surely you would have done it by now.

100% ditto. Right back at ya. 

If you had something to present of real substance, we'd be done arguing. 🤔

22 hours ago, Demodex said:

Weren't Bob Iger and George Lucas sources from LFL?  🤔😄😄

If you had something to present of real substance, we'd be done arguing. 🤔

No, Iger and Lucas do not work at LFL. They made those statements in a book and interview, respectively.

Years ago, I posted enough canon excerpts that should have intrigued any Star Wars fan... at least the ones that what to debate/discuss these types of things. What evidence of "real substance" would you accept so you'd "be done arguing"?

22 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Sadly I think the irrelevant quote from RotS was all the ammo he's got

Sadly, you're speaking about these matters wholly ignorant of what I've quoted... and what exists within the Star Wars canon.

We wouldn't want that to happen!

Getting caught up on the Star Wars canon might be your only safe option. I suggest you clear your mind, then read/watch as carefully as you can.

Let me know what you find, if anything.

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

No, Iger and Lucas do not work at LFL. They made those statements in a book and interview, respectively.

I bet these things happened when they did work/own LFL. The novels that came before LFL had been purchased by Disney don't have a single thing that involves Episode 9. 

12 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I bet these things happened when they did work/own LFL.

Shame you have no evidence of it.

12 minutes ago, Demodex said:

The novels that came before LFL had been purchased by Disney don't have a single thing that involves Episode 9. 

You might be surprised.  You will be. You will be.

Wait, have you even read the novels that came before Disney purchased LFL, particularly the first six novelizations?

Honestly, the books are a better place to look for substantive evidence. The visuals (and scores!) of the movies (and shows) are too distracting for most of the Star Wars audience, so they get only a relative-surface-level interpretation. The written word is far more descriptive and can provide literal connections throughout the canon.

I provided evidence here that provoked much discussion. But if you don't want to attempt to locate these posts for risk of an aneurysm, sorry, I can't help you.

I consider Andor a stunning achievement by Lucasfilm. I very much look forward to its second season.

But @Schilkeman, surely you know that mere doubt and contradiction aren't valid counter-arguments to my quoted evidence and intriguing theories, some of the major - and most-previously-dismissed - ones of which were proven correct with Episode IX, starting with its first trailer. All (canonical) things considered, I'm most likely on the right path with Star Wars, and the majority of fans are hopelessly lost.

My posts aren't "insular". On the contrary, they indicate that I'm in tune with George Lucas' stated inspirations regarding the creation of Star Wars, the work's true meaning/purpose, as well as my ability to use numerous literal excerpts of the Star Wars canon material to make sense of Star Wars.

I understand that what I've been saying throughout (the last three years of) this thread may be hard to swallow. But just assessing the facts and canon, it would make sense of everything.

But along with most others here (and across the fandom), I suspect that your pride and long-held assumptions are impeding you from being able to admit that there's likely something else to be garnered from Star Wars... and that I could very well be onto it. You don't want to acknowledge even the possibility that you could be incredibly wrong.

Unfortunately, responding to me by closing off your mind and denigrating me - and Houston, the home of one of the best orchestras in America - won't help you in any way.

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

surely you know that mere doubt and contradiction aren't valid counter-arguments to my quoted evidence and intriguing theories

Guys, your quoted evidence and theories are wrong, and mine are right.  🙄

But along with most others here (and across the fandom), I suspect that your pride and long-held assumptions are impeding you from being able to admit that there's likely something else to be garnered from Star Wars... and that I could very well be onto it. You don't want to acknowledge even the possibility that you could be incredibly wrong.

I'll be willing to admit I'm wrong if you can provide any proof of it. 

You're the one that said that it would take a lot to get you to change your own mind. 

and that I could very well be onto it

Onto what?  What are you fantasizing?  A 4th trilogy that brings back Palpy again?  And it's already filmed?  😄😄😄

If anyone knows what was in Lucas's plans for Episodes 7-9, maybe they would know if Lucas planned on bringing Palps back. I would bet huge that he didn't.  But if it's not in there, none of us can know definitively unless Lucas tells us. 

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

I provided evidence here that provoked much discussion

That's because no one could believe that you actually believe the things you do.

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

I choose not to speak about such personal things on this forum. Feel free to make your point, though.

I cannot without an honest answer, but that's okay

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

I can't think of anything. What do you got?

That there is no piece of evidence that could change your mind is proof that your belief is not actually formed on the basis of evidence

George Lucas opened Pandora's box, when he brought back Darth Maul.

Since then this reanimation of dead characters, Palpatine, Boba Fett, Ashoka or even reanimating killed characters within one and the same feature like the grand inquisitor and Reva in the Kenobi series, has in a way destroyed the franchise by adding a certain ridiculousness to it.

"No one's ever really gone."

3 hours ago, Demodex said:

Guys, your quoted evidence and theories are wrong, and mine are right. 

My theories are more likely to (continue to) be right because they're based on select, related quotes the official canon (dating back to 1976), as well as relevant, meaningful George Lucas quotes from decades ago.

The contrary theories/conclusions are based primarily on surface-level assessments of the story, long-held general assumptions, and recent (incredibly self-/company-incriminating) interviews.

I'll be willing to admit I'm wrong if you can provide any proof of it.

How can I do that? What evidence of "real substance" would you accept so you'd "be done arguing"?

Onto what?  What are you fantasizing?  A 4th trilogy that brings back Palpy again?

Yes. But he will not really be 'brought back', just given a new lease on life.

You know what's going to happen but won't tell us.

Correct. I won't say it here and now because doing so would be an absolutely foolish thing to do.

Because you actually don't know anything more than us. 

Doubtful. You should know by now that I've read and considered too much regarding Star Wars for that to be the case, as evidenced in this forum.

Additionally, my record of grand Star Wars theories has been pretty stellar. Before Episode IX's first trailer, I correctly predicted two major elements of the film:

[1] Palpatine is still the villain of the Saga and will continue to be an influence and threat, having moved his spirit into a cloned body

[2] Rey is a relative or creation of Palpatine, finally revealing a good reason that the character was featured in a Star Wars Saga trilogy

To prove that I didn't just make guesses, I cited a considerable amount of canon evidence to support my theories... and continued to do so after I had processed the film. Since then, I haven't stopped reassessing the entire Saga.

If you truly think that 'I actually don't know anything more than you', you haven't been paying attention... like, at all.

I wonder, do you think that the writers at Lucasfilm know more about Star Wars than you?

3 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

That there is no piece of evidence that could change your mind is proof that your belief is not actually formed on the basis of evidence

Such evidence could exist, but I doubt it does. I certainly have not seen it.

What would 'changing my mind' entail, exactly?

I guess for me it would be you accepting as fact that there was no plan for the ST, and bringing back Palps was decided after TLJ was already out at the earliest. 

There isn't ever going to be concrete evidence that these are true statements though. The writer, director, and a star all said, to my belief, have said just the opposite. That they would lie about this, making them look like idiots, is absurd.  Actually they look like idiots either way since TROS was so bad. 

How can I do that? What evidence of "real substance" would you accept so you'd "be done arguing"?

If more than a couple people at LFL announced that Episode 10 is already filmed and that there actually was a stupid plan all along. 

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

George Lucas opened Pandora's box, when he brought back Darth Maul.

Since then this reanimation of dead characters, Palpatine, Boba Fett, Ashoka or even reanimating killed characters within one and the same feature like the grand inquisitor and Reva in the Kenobi series, has in a way destroyed the franchise by adding a certain ridiculousness to it.

I’m a pretty big Lucas apologist, but I kind of agree, though to be fair, Naboo did not blow up after he fell down the pit. I don’t think he would have brought back Palpatine, though, as he stated, Anakin fulfilled the prophecy…eventually. I also think Maul became a much more interesting character after coming back, something I can’t say for Palpatine. But even so, Lucas opened this can of worms.

Meh. All these "how Star Wars was saved" stories I always find a little strenous.

The rewrites that sprouced-up the dialogue were done by the Hyucks who... lets not pretend they're Shakespeare, okay? Gestures in the direction of Howard the Duck.

People don’t like Star Wars because Han has a few extra Hyuck quips on the Death Star.

51 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Meh. All these "how Star Wars was saved" stories I always find a little strenous.

The rewrites that sprouced-up the dialogue were done by the Hyucks who... lets not pretend they're Shakespeare, okay? Gestures in the direction of Howard the Duck.

Agreed, I utterly loathe them. They turn regular parts of the film-making process into this big dramatic narrative that by the actions of a few select people Star Wars wasn't a complete pile of trash. Congratulations, you just described making a film!

12 hours ago, Mattris said:

Such evidence could exist, but I doubt it does. I certainly have not seen it.

Given this is a hypothetical scenario, if you can't think of any evidence then none exists in relation to changing your mind

Good question though. Changing your mind would be accepting that LucasFilm doesn't want to directly touch the Sequel Trilogy with a 10ft pole anymore thanks to the backlash, and that there are no current plans for a new trilogy that is a direct sequel to 7,8,9 that features similar characters.

The way my brain works, and I imagine quite a lot of people's, is I wouldn't dare entertain the idea that new sequel films were being worked on without first seeing set photos and hearing about rumors from reliable sources like MakingStarWars. If you can show me either of those then I'll change my mind, because my belief is based on evidence

59 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Careful, Daisey Ridley and Adam Driver are rumoured to be in the Lindeloff Star Wars film (if it ever gets off the ground)

Those rumours come from Giant Freakin Robot who are very unreliable and clickbait-y

Still, wouldn't want to accidentally give Mattris anything to argue with 

The only evidence regarding Daisy Ridleys involvement is she had lunch at Lucasfilm HQ once or twice. Not sure about Adam Driver

14 hours ago, Mattris said:

I won't say it here and now because doing so would be an absolutely foolish thing to do.

The only reason not to is either you're JJ Abrams or you're afraid of being wrong. Which you probably are. 

1 minute ago, Demodex said:

The only reason not to is either you're JJ Abrams or you're afraid of being wrong. Which you probably are. 

He expects us to look through his 1000+ post history, to prove his own point. That's a funny joke!

No kidding. Because if there was anything of substance in those posts we wouldn't still be arguing. 

It's not even worth arguing. Either there was a plan or there wasn't. If they planned it, it's a shame it ended so horribly. 

They really should have gone with Trevorrow's script or got Rian Johnson to do Episode 9. 

Ony thing even remotely close to Lucas bringing back Palps was the Dark Empire comic.

And that was NOT from Lucas.

13 hours ago, Demodex said:

I guess for me it would be you accepting as fact that there was no plan for the ST, and bringing back Palps was decided after TLJ was already out at the earliest. 

Unless you have dated, corroborated/confirmed, primary evidence - you know, real evidenceyou cannot claim that these statements are facts. Your personal assessment of what you think happened is questionable at best, as it is based mostly on evidence along the lines of 'Somebody at Lucasfilm said/insinuated something' and 'It's what I thought going into IX'.

On the other hand, my facts consist of things like this:

Emperor Palpatine, the main villain of the other two trilogies, had a multi-faceted Contingency should he and/or the Empire fall. Palpatine was included or mentioned in basically all of pre-Episode IX canon volumes, including his mysterious involvement on Jakku of all places. Given what happened in IX, this fact should incredibly significant to those wondering if the sequel trilogy was planned.

The writer, director, and a star all said, to my belief, have said just the opposite.

What exactly did they say? Direct quote their statements.

That they would lie about this, making them look like idiots, is absurd.  Actually they look like idiots either way since TROS was so bad. 

The primary cast and crew even insinuating that there wasn't a plan for a Star Wars trilogy makes them look like idiots.

Actually they look like idiots either way since TROS was so bad.

In your opinion, based on your assessment of the film/trilogy/saga.

If more than a couple people at LFL announced that Episode 10 is already filmed and that there actually was a stupid plan all along. 

An Episode X merely existing won't convince you of anything, rightly so. Along with Episodes XI and XII, what happens in the film is of the utmost importance.

13 hours ago, Datameister said:

Exactly. You and I both know the terrible consequences you would face if you fully shared your brilliance. Go ahead, tell them the bad things that would happen!

Spoilers, for one. Even if my theories don't officially pan out, my hard work would have been be given away without compensation.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Varies between entries. I'd say the original film is the most self-consciously ridiculous.

Agreed. The audience was simply dropped into the wilderness of a vast story. In the original film - and throughout the OT and PT - the lore was never explained... and still hasn't been.

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Given this is a hypothetical scenario, if you can't think of any evidence then none exists in relation to changing your mind

Good question though. Changing your mind would be accepting that LucasFilm doesn't want to directly touch the Sequel Trilogy with a 10ft pole anymore thanks to the backlash, and that there are no current plans for a new trilogy that is a direct sequel to 7,8,9 that features similar characters.

The way my brain works, and I imagine quite a lot of people's, is I wouldn't dare entertain the idea that new sequel films were being worked on without first seeing set photos and hearing about rumors from reliable sources like MakingStarWars. If you can show me either of those then I'll change my mind, because my belief is based on evidence

I thought you were attempting to change my mind. If so, you have to give me a reason to even consider doing so.

I can't accept those things because I have not seen any real evidence to support them.

At this point in the Saga, my theory is that Lucasfilm wants to maintain secrecy. 'Seeing set photos and hearing about rumors from reliable sources' should not be expected.

The evidence of what they have planned must then be based on the canon, from which an overall (point to the) story must be garnered. If the story that has been presented necessitates more story in order to be fulfilling and conclusive, then further episodes of the story should be expected.

The evidence I see leads me to this conclusion. I am 100% certain of my assessment of Star Wars.

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

Given how much I've written in this thread to work through and share my thoughts/predictions about Star Wars - and how right I've already been even though almost everyone thought I was nuts - you thinking that I'm "afraid of being wrong" shows just how much you don't understand what's happening here... or in Star Wars.

2 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

He expects us to look through his 1000+ post history, to prove his own point. That's a funny joke!

Do I really have to do it for you?

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

No kidding. Because if there was anything of substance in those posts we wouldn't still be arguing. 

No, it just means your lazy and/or undiscerning.

2 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Ony thing even remotely close to Lucas bringing back Palps was the Dark Empire comic.

And that was NOT from Lucas.

"So certain are you?"

Lucas took credit for personally writing the original Star Wars novelization when it was actually ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster. Perhaps Lucas conceived the main idea/plots of Dark Empire  without taking credit.

The only things I can find that seem to corroborate Palpys return in IX was the novelization of IX which mentions his "empty body" falling down the DS2 reactor shaft. This undermines the chosen one prophecy, as now Anakin doesn't actually bring balance to the force. And since the novelization came out after the film, it is nothing more than a retcon to explain that Palpatine returned, without offering any kind of explanation. Also retconned in the novel was Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter as stated in the film was changed, possibly due to reactions about how stupid it was, with the novelization digging the hole even deeper by trying to retcon that it was actually a clone of Sheev that fathered Rey's father. Reactions to this were not much better. Just nonsense

Also, another novel, "Skywalker: A Family at War" mentions something like "he died in every natural sense of the word" (I dont have the book, this is from wookieepedia). This was meant to tie in with Dominic Monaghan's line in the film about 'secrets only the Sith knew' I suspect. But since this was was also released after IX, it is an explanation after the fact. There seems to be quite a bit of that, with Lucasfilm publishing turning to books to make sense of WTF was going on. 

This article on StarWars.com (https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-inside-intel-palpatines-contingency-plan) seems to sum everything up. But it also, was published post-IX. It took a video game, six novels, and a bunch of comic book issues to offer an explanation to his return. Turns out, it was a big elaborate plot with Lucasfilm pulling the ol' "see? It was coming all along" gotcha moment. I guess JJ and RJ didn't get the memo

Dont forget Palpatine's broadcast announcing his return took place inside Fortnite ROTFLMAO

Don't be so certain. In that climactic scene, the ROTJ screenplay goes from calling him "Palpatine" to "Palpatine's body" and "the body", with the 1983 novelization going so far as to call "Palpatine's body"  "it"  twice.

13 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

"it" is what a dead body is referred as. It is no longer a person. Just a body. The End. 

The novelization and screenplay used the terms "Palpatine's body", "the body", and "it" before the explosion  at the bottom of the shaft.

Not 'The End'.

6 minutes ago, Mattris said:

The novelization and screenplay used the terms "Palpatine's body", "the body", and "it" before the explosion  at the bottom of the shaft.

Not 'The End'.

In the ROTJ novelization or TROS?

7 minutes ago, Mattris said:

The ROTJ novelization. I own a physical copy of a 1983 pressing.

Interesting. 

Is there a single post where you lay out your entire theory? Just curious. I'm pretty certain you were implying that it's not finished and will require a new trilogy to follow the sequel trilogy? I'll bite but I don't want to have to read 17,000 posts to see exactly what it is you're getting at. 

26 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

I don't want to have to read 17,000 posts to see exactly what it is you're getting at. 

Don't waste your time. He can't tell us the grand plan, or what he's truly getting at, because of spoilers.  😄😄

Given what happened in IX, this fact should incredibly significant to those wondering if the sequel trilogy was planned

Yeah, no. Abrams and Daisy Ridley have said Palpatine coming back wasn't planned from the beginning. 

I bet if Snoke didn't die in TLJ, Palps would never have been in Episode 9. 

In your opinion, based on your assessment of the film/trilogy/saga

No, based on the plot was infantile and nothing made sense. 

Please Daniel, we can't keep doing this

"Anakin is very different in the end. The thing of it: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the Chosen One, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son." - The Making of RotS

“I’ve left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII — IX. That’s because there isn’t any story,” he explained. “The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn’t come back to life, The Emperor doesn’t get cloned and Luke doesn’t get married.” -Total Film

“I never had a story for the sequels, for the later ones,” later admitting he also would “probably not” let anyone else take over for him if it happened." -Vanity Fair

All of this https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/disney-ceo-bob-iger-star-wars-george-lucas-upset-betrayed-sequel-trilogy-wouldnt-follow-his-plots/

“Bringing back the Emperor was an idea J.J. brought to the table when he came on board,” Trevorrow told Empire. “It’s honestly something I never considered. I commend him for it. This was a tough story to unlock, and he found the key.” nme.com

It wasn't planned. It obviously wasn't planned. Here is the evidence, not random pedantic semantics. George certainly changed his story a few times over the years, but if you read his original takes on VII-XII, a lot of that stuff got rolled into RotJ, the prequals, and The Clone Wars. I believe, based on Iger's book, that Lucas came up with treatments for the more recent VII-IX in order to get a better deal out of Disney. I have no doubts they would have been interesting and compelling films, but they wouldn't have looked anything like the sequels we got. They probably wouldn't even look much like the treatments. George is an editor at heart, not a writer. He gets elements, and makes a story from them, and isn't afraid to change his mind, much to the chagrin of OT purists--and would-be secret-finders.

Even if my theories don't officially pan out, my hard work would have been be given away without compensation

What kind of compensation are you looking for? 😄