Star Wars Disenchantment

John

9 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

If this is Lucas' original idea, why didnt he do it from the beginning? Seems like some real George Lucas 'revisionism', that he claims "well, I actually meant to do it like that all along"

He does. I’ll dig up the quote but he once said Greedo did shoot first: it’s just that the way the scene was shot and cut in closeups it made it seem like Han shot first:

“What I did was try to clean up the confusion. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.”

Alex Ben Block, “5 Questions with George Lucas: Controversial ‘Star Wars’ Changes, SOPA, and ‘Indiana Jones 5,’” Hollywood Reporter, February 9, 2012.

I sometimes wonder how a filmmaker who thinks his listeners are THAT stupid can ever hope to make films that don’t underestimate the audience’s intelligence.

Once the Saga has concluded, I expect it will be conclusive that the Star Wars audience really was "THAT stupid" and underestimated George Lucas' intelligence.

12 hours ago, Mattris said:

I've discussed these matters at length within the Star Wars Disenchantment Topic. For further discussions, I would like these off-topic posts here (the last two pages) to be moved to that thread. Then we can continue.

On 27/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, Mattris said:

could you please move these derailed conversations to the Star Wars Disenchantment thread?

Why do you keep insisting that this “discussion” be moved? If you have a problem with talking about this here, stop posting here and take it over there.  It’s not Jay’s job to decide where you post.

In other words, post your theories someplace else and see who follows you. Or maybe start a “Star Wars conspiracy theory” thread?

Multiple times in the past, Jay has relocated swaths of controversy/contention/disenchantment-filled Star Wars conversations to their proper location. What can I say? I like consistency.

Plus, it feels strange that I'm allowed to roam free from my cage!  :P

• 2 weeks later...

So many unintentional Star Wars allusions!

On 07/12/2022 at 2:26 PM, Stark said:

I just wish Mattris would also give us stock market predictions too.

If people get excited about Star Wars, Disney's stock will rise.

On 07/12/2022 at 3:17 PM, MrJosh said:

"Begun, these Snoke Wars have."

-adult Grogu

I'll be shocked if we ever see adult Grogu.

I think Grogu will continue appearing in Star Wars media after all of us are dead. He’s a beloved character who will live hundreds of years in-universe and doesn’t even have an iconic actor to worry about replacing.

If Star Wars is a good story, all of its characters and plot-lines were created to serve a purpose. Once Grogu's purpose has been fulfilled, one should not expect to see him again.

20 minutes ago, Mattris said:

If Star Wars is a good story, all of its characters and plot-lines were created to serve a purpose. Once Grogu's purpose has been fulfilled, one should not expect to see him again.

Like Palpatine pre-2019? 🤔

4 hours ago, Mattris said:

Well then, let's hope your purpose on this forum is nearing its fulfilment

Perhaps I'm multi-purposed.

@Docteur Qui, would you prefer if I left this forum?  If so, why?

Even if you think my Star Wars assessments are off-base, would you like it if they did come to pass?

Open to everyone.

Incidentally, the best new line in The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy is when we see what happens when The Gang sneaks from the Falcon to the Control Room. Ben uses the Force to distract a bunch of troopers. Han wonders how he did that. In a voice that I WISH we had heard Alec Guinness use Ben says "Simple tricks and nonsense." It was the payoff that I never knew I needed!

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

10 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff, but I’ve never seen anything to make me believe there’s one all-powerful creative force controlling everything. It’s all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Do you think there was/is no grand plan for Star Wars?  Regardless, why do you think George Lucas created it?

Can you fathom that Star Wars simply tricked its audience?  If so, would you consider that "nonsense"?

5 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Who knows, you wont say what your predictions are 

The stakes will be raised as the Saga continues.  By completing the revenge of the Sith and other insidious schemes of selfishness, Emperor Palpatine will prove he is the master of evil.

This Final Trilogy will tie the story together in a most impressive, definitive conclusion.  By the end, it will be clear that narrative of the Star Wars Saga was planned from its inception.

12 hours ago, Mattris said:

Regardless, why do you think George Lucas created it?

Because he had a good, albeit originally disorganized, idea for a story that eventually came to fruition. After that it became 90% about the toy sales that made him massively rich, then sold everything to Disney so he could happily retire. Now he seems to spend most of his time at McDonald's.

George-Lucas.png

On 07/12/2022 at 7:28 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Either Mattris is the architect of the most long-game, sustained & diabolical troll job in JWFan history

Just JWFan? ROTFLMAO

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

It's honestly just sad at this point

Is it? Because I happen to think its hysterical.

So... If there were no Star Wars toys to make money from what would The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi look like? How would they be different?

It's not like he blew up the Falcon in every movie so you'd have to go buy a new one. (*cough* Batmobile! Enterprise!)

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

So... If there were no Star Wars toys to make money from what would The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi look like? How would they be different?

I personally don't buy the explanation that only after the runaway success of the original film did Lucas become so business oriented. Lucas was always a filmmaker who had an eye for the buck: that's why he made a film with the commercial potential of Star Wars, that's why he took over merchandizing, that's why he bargained for sequel rights, that's presumably why - once merchandizing rights were secured - he had Luke play with a spaceship toy in the foreground of a shot.

As for how The Empire Strikes Back would looked with less money: give Splinter of the Mind's Eye a spin...

On 12/7/2022 at 11:28 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Either Mattris is the architect of the most long-game, sustained & diabolical troll job in JWFan history, or he's one hydrospanner short of a full toolbox, and in serious need of a restraining bolt.

It's really sort of a beautiful thing. If it is a troll job, you have to admire his persistence & dedication to his craft. Maybe he really is the most intelligent member of this forum?

I say that George Lucas is the architect of the most long-game, sustained & diabolical troll job in storytelling history. If he had restrained himself in recent years, his game would have suffered.

It's really sort of a beautiful thing. If it is a troll job, you have to admire his persistence & dedication to his craft. Maybe he really is the most intelligent storyteller in the world.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Because he had a good, albeit originally disorganized, idea for a story that eventually came to fruition. After that it became 90% about the toy sales that made him massively rich, then sold everything to Disney so he could happily retire. Now he seems to spend most of his time at McDonald's.

What was the 'good idea for a story that eventually came to fruition'?

Do you blame the man for bargaining a profitable deal on the Star Wars merchandising?

Do you think he's happy in his retirement?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Is it? Because I happen to think its hysterical.

Lol Star Wars GIF - Lol Star Wars Wookie GIFs