THE COWBOYS (1972) - NEW! 2018 Varese Deluxe Edition

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/cowboys-the-the-deluxe-edition

So after I did that thematic breakdown in The River's spreadsheet and Jay asked if I'll do more, I said it just seemed natural and evident, it's a short and sweet score that's surprisingly thematicall

Mike explained some things about the corrected 1994 album and the "alternate main title" over at FSM:    

• 3 months later...

New to this score so it's probably come up already, but does anyone else hear a prototype version of the "Leaving Home" theme from Superman in this? Not sure exactly the name of the theme from either score but it struck me upon the first listen. 

There's also something from the end of The Post which sounds very similar here too, though I don't have any clips to demonstrate. Anyone else know what I'm referring to? 

I'll give the score another listen and work out exactly where it is. Makes me wonder if JW was reviewing MM's expansion around the same time he was writing The Post, hence the incidental quotation.

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

New to this score so it's probably come up already, but does anyone else hear a prototype version of the "Leaving Home" theme from Superman in this? Not sure exactly the name of the theme from either score but it struck me upon the first listen.

All the Americana in Superman (a lot of which was unavailable until the Blue Box) is very much in the vein of The Cowboys.

• 1 year later...

I was listening to this score today, probably the best Rydell/Williams collaboration, but I've never seen the movie.

So am I right to assume that this (0:00 to 0:13)

is the movie's main theme, this (0:23 to 0:52)

is a theme for the kids that befriend John Wayne, and this (3:43 to 4:10) is the theme for John Wayne's character?

I really like this final theme, which I'm assuming relates to Wayne. Very evocative!

The film has some serious ethical issues. Stands in harsh contrast to Rydell's other "Americana" movies (whether period or contemporary), but the score lives its own life -- probably Williams' best western score. Feel free to read the 'conversation' review from a few months back, linked to a few posts up, where we briefly mention this. Otherwise, the film has great production values.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I was listening to this score today, probably the best Rydell/Williams collaboration, but I've never seen the movie.

So am I right to assume that this (0:00 to 0:13)

is the movie's main theme, this (0:23 to 0:52)

is a theme for the kids that befriend John Wayne, and this (3:43 to 4:10) is the theme for John Wayne's character?

I really like this final theme, which I'm assuming relates to Wayne. Very evocative!

I don't know these timestamps off the top of my head, but the liner notes explain the different themes very well 

On 11/30/2018 at 12:33 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

All the Americana in Superman (a lot of which was unavailable until the Blue Box) is very much in the vein of The Cowboys.

A lot? Didn't the Rhino release have the complete score?

• 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

The bass harmonica is the instrument that plays this melody. Cuíca isn’t a pitched instrument.

Huh. Somehow doesn't sound very harmonica-like to me, in the past I always assumed it was some sort of exotic woodwind. I did look up videos of the bass harmonica for research (of the cuíca too) and those all sounded like I expected.

19 hours ago, Holko said:

3:06-7:18 is a long and satisfying mostly unique exploration of the Paternal theme, with Cowboys and Training making an appearance before the final statement. Almost like Wil's simple life with quiet beginnings, slowly climbing to what seems to be its peak, but still in the same old slower tempo and setting... then after that's achieved, these whippersnappers come in, at first unassuming then very much active, to give him one last jolt of energy and new life.

Extended this section with a new idea that came to me last night.