Sign in to follow this  
Quintus

Random YouTuber manages superior Star Wars special effects work over that of Industrial Light and Magic

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

If I'd never seen Peter Cushing in my life, my reaction would have been, "Who's the random dude with the CG face?"

Leia looked great for, like, a split second as she was turning around. In profile, I totally bought it. But the jig was up as soon as I got a good look at her, just like with Tarkin.

Again, not dissing the insane amount of highly skilled artistry that goes into something like this. It just turns out that making a 100% convincing full-motion closeup shot of a computer-generated human face is just about the hardest thing a visual effects artist could try to do.

I’m surprised that the majority of Paul Walker shots in F&F7 are so good - they easily beat Tarkin in Rogue One for me

RO Tarkin looked reasonably enough like Cushing but didn't move and act perfectly enough like him, or even too believably human in smaller details like the mouth. From 2 year old memories I liked the shot of him just looking menacingly when the DS fires at the end the best.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh don't get me wrong, that film is a brilliant landmark in VFX.

Just making the point that part of the reason the CGI stands up is because those shots are quite low-res and can't be scrutinized as heavily. And it's partly by design -- Spielberg cleverly kept them dark and shrouded by mist/rain throughout the T-Rex sequence.

Absolutely!

@Holko, I like that shot, too. In fact, performance-wise, Tarkin is great in the film.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:25 AM, crumbs said:

Not suitable for a feature film at all.

Considering one of the biggest studios in the world producing a 350 million dollar mega tent pole film thought this was suitable for feature film and IMAX rollouts - 

ey1fkbd8yxazodqualh5.png

- Hollywood hasn't really set a high standard has it?