Fabulin

Menace is definitely that unique kind of film that appreciates a lot of musical breadth and exhibition as it sought to reopen a brand new world for people in 1999, and Williams took full advantage of that appreciation.

There are other films where music is less conspicuous, but some would argue more noteworthy. An example of this I think with Williams would be The Philosopher's Stone; it gave real base structure to the movie.

The Fellowship of the Ring, Prisoner of Azkaban, Revenge of the Sith.

As much as I love Phantom Menace, the music never transcends the film it's attached to, whereas the three scores above are so integral and explicit in how they reinforce the narratives of their films, they're more powerful for it. 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Revenge of the Sith

:lol2:

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I bet even 20 better scores cannot be found.

It's a good score, but not among JW's top ten. So yes, I'm sure 20 better scores can be found among all existing scores.

Last time I listed my top JW scores, I put it at #6, and it could arguably be placed even higher. So yes! You are right. And in terms of its wider appreciation, unfortunately it's not likely to get that because of the film. But Duel of the Fates at least has transcended. For example, it was programmed in an evening of film music I saw several years back here in Atlanta, as a mighty showcase for the ASO's chorus.

Great score, but doesn't feature among my top 50 overall, nor my top 10 Williams (I have RETURN OF THE JEDI "representing" STAR WARS in that list anyway....can't fill it all up with scores in the same saga).

I tried listening to the complete score a few months ago and had to turn it off. It's just too much, simply an excess of densely orchestrated music for one sitting.

No criticism of the quality of music because it's exceptional. Just falls into that Hook/Philosopher's Stone/Temple of Doom category for me, where it's better enjoyed in smaller doses.

Yes, the variety is wonderful. And so much of it is great, even small incidental moments. The stuff on Tatooine is the emotional "heart" of the score, then there's great action material throughout, plus a nice range of material to represent the different cultures in the film. And it's hard to explain, but I feel like Williams found a voice on this film that was unique among his output.

It's a great score, with that warm feeling that most Williams scores had on the late 90s/early 2000s... but I don't think it's one of my favorites.

And yeah, I prefer Revenge of the Sith. Much more powerful choir writing. lol

Ben Hur

Fellowship of the Ring

Two Towers

Return of the King

Jurassic Park

Star Wars

Prisoner of Azkaban

Philosopher's Stone

Goldfinger

Revenge of the Sith

Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Return of the Jedi

Star Trek TMP

Star Trek II

Batman 1989

Edward Scissorhands

Superman

Titanic

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Lawrence of Arabia

Gone With The Wind

I re-listened to TPM today, the Ultimate Edition. It's certainly a great score, with an excellent performance by the LSO and some terrific moments. But, much like the movie, the score drags a little during the Coruscant sequences. 

That said, Anakin is Free is a masterpiece of a cue, and the action music is some of the best of JW's career. 

15 hours ago, Romão said:

I hate ranking things. The Phantom Menace is a great score on its own terms. No need to rank it or compare it to any other

Simplifyingly ranking things is everything in the universe! You can rank the periodic table of elements. For instance, the first, most-essential element is gold.

13 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I think the score is underrated in the film music world in that one will struggle to find many scores more magnificent than it, and yet it is unheard of outside of Star Wars-dedicated discussions.

I bet even 20 better scores cannot be found.

I think this is a great score! For me it doesn't drag much at all. That said, it's completely ridiculous to say there aren't 20 scores that are better. There definitely are.

9 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

John Williams’ choral writing ain’t much to write home about.

It's fair.

9 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Even Giacchino’s Fallen Kingdom theme is vastly more intriguing. 

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif