Next ‘Star Trek’ Film To Be Directed By Matt Shakman

Jay

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hopefully it will remove the characters from this kelvinverse nonsense.

I don’t think they will, but if they did, how would you do it? Quietly ignore the alternate timeline and never mention the fact — tell a story that fully could have happened to the original cast in the original era? Or make it part of the story — that they end up transported to the Prime universe (and if so, to what era)?

1 minute ago, Pellaeon said:

I don’t think they will, but if they did, how would you do it? Quietly ignore the alternate timeline and never mention the fact — tell a story that fully could have happened to the original cast in the original era? Or make it part of the story — that they end up transported to the Prime universe (and if so, to what era)?

Nonsense writing got them into it. 

Nonsense writing can get them out.

Perhaps they can put in 200 lens flares and no one will notice.

You’ll love this. It’s the audience ratings of modern Trek from RottenTomatoes.

94% The Orville, Season 1 (9,049 votes)
93%
92%
91% Star Trek (250,000+ votes); The Orville, Season 2 (2,266 votes)
90%
89% Into Darkness (250,000+ votes)
88%
87%
86%
85%
84%
83%
82%
81%
80% Beyond (50,000+ votes); Lower Decks, Season 2 (148 votes)
79%
78%
77%
76%
75%
74% Prodigy, Season 1 (87 votes)
73%
72%
71%
70%
69%
68%
67%
66%
65%
64%
63%
62%
61%
60%
59%
58%
57%
56%
55%
54% Picard, Season 1 (2,912 votes)
53%
52%
51% Lower Decks, Season 1 (685 votes)
50%
49% Discovery, Season 1 (9,049 votes)
48%
47%
46%
45%
44%
43%
42%
41%
40% Discovery, Season 3 (1,095 votes)
39%
38%
37%
36% Discovery, Season 2 (3,072 votes)
35%
34%
33%
32%
31%
30%
29%
28%
27%
26%
25%
24%
23%
22%
21%
20% Discovery, Season 4 (430 votes)

Damn!

What I don't love is the number of votes for The Orville and Lower Decks compared to the rest... when they are by FAR superior and more Star Trek than all the rest, despite their comedic angle (also, Lower Decks season 1 seems really underrated... probably people judging from the first few episodes rather than the whole season, as the last few episodes were the strongest).

Yavar

Lower Decks will bloom as it ages.

I wouldn't waste any time on Orville, its wants to be Star Trek, perhaps it is, just not for this Boomer but the only think I can think of is how the Orville will be blown up by almost any Star Fleet vessel.

That and how it looks like a contraceptive device 

“Streaming Trek” number of votes - sorted by release date

9,049 - Discovery, Season 1
3,072 - Discovery, Season 2
2,912 - Picard, Season 1
685 - Lower Decks, Season 1
1,095 - Discovery, Season 3
148 - Lower Decks, Season 2
87 - Prodigy, Season 1
430 - Discovery, Season 4

I get the gist of Lowerdecks and it's really obviously created by fans who love Star Trek. But anytime I try to get into it the humor gets nasty or gross and I just can't connect with it. (Important safety tip: Making Star Trek I can watch with my kids -- and my kids can watch with ME, meaning I won't be chewing my own arm off to escape -- will infinitely increase your chances of connecting with me.)

I REALLY enjoyed Disco's second season. Except I didn't like the opening very much and the closing was terrible. (TERRIBLE!) It undid every ounce of good will the show had managed to gain from me. So I just haven't revisited the next two seasons.

Picard was watchable for Stewart. (And surprisingly Ryan.) I'll most likely watch the second season. Probably.

Wouldn't it be AMAZING if they can make a Chris Pine Star Trek movie where Starfleet (former or current) isn't the bad guy? (Might as well ask for a Mission: Impossible movie without a former or current IMF person being the villain.)

18 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Wouldn't it be AMAZING if they can make a Chris Pine Star Trek movie where Starfleet (former or current) isn't the bad guy? (Might as well ask for a Mission: Impossible movie without a former or current IMF person being the villain.)

Getting smug Hollywood liberals to imagine that Western hypocrisy isn't the world's greatest evil?  Pigs will fly!

(don't ban me)

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I studied at Oxford and Harvard; majored in Western Hypocrisy

Yes, this is always the line I have in my head when I use that phrase :lol:

To paraphrase Lester Bangs, the only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we both know deep-cut movie lines from widely reviled James Bond films.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I was about to say the 2009 film is just that... but then I remembered that Picard said that Nero was correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they were all pitched on a story so I'm assuming there's a lengthy treatment, just no actual script.

EDIT: nevermind he says specifically he doesn't know the story

They all love to pay lip service to Roddenberry's utopian vision and yet all any show/movie seems to be able to do for the past 10+ years is run some variation of "guess their utopia wasn't so utopian after all!"

I'm no Roddenberry purist, I think DS9 is the best Trek show after all, but it is kinda funny.

On 03/03/2022 at 5:33 PM, Disco Stu said:

Yes, this is always the line I have in my head when I use that phrase :lol:

To paraphrase Lester Bangs, the only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we both know deep-cut movie lines from widely reviled James Bond films.

Imagine if Colonel Moon had remained DAD's villain, instead of being morphed (via too-unlikely-even-for-Bond tech, sorry) into the sneering public schoolboy Gustav Graves. With the possible exception of the sword fight, Toby Stephens exudes all the menace of a wet lettuce.  

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Pine Hasn’t Seen a Script for New ‘Star Trek’ Film, but Is Already a Fan of Director Matt Shakman

The announcement of a fourth film in the franchise took many, including star Pine, by surprise. But as he tells IndieWire, he is ready to get back to work.

On 12/03/2022 at 11:30 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Imagine if Colonel Moon had remained DAD's villain, instead of being morphed (via too-unlikely-even-for-Bond tech, sorry) into the sneering public schoolboy Gustav Graves. With the possible exception of the sword fight, Toby Stephens exudes all the menace of a wet lettuce.  

That's enough!

• 4 months later...

Pike's Enterprise makes Pine's enterprise look really sad.

• 4 weeks later...

Paramount execs must be sweating under the collar. No director, cast not confirmed to be on board yet, and yet they have a release date.

On 02/08/2022 at 8:02 PM, Giftheck said:

Pine appears to be on board with a salary of $13million.

No actor of Pine's well-demonstrated mediocrity, is ever worth $13,000,000

$9,000,000 for that moody emo kid in that lacklustre sci-fi flick? Someone saw someone coming.

• 1 month later...

Oh my gawd I am shocked, I am stunned.

Never would I have expected the most respected an loved version of Star Trek to be "cancelled".  😆