JW wins Saturn Award in Best Music for TROS

Falstaft

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why is there an award given in October of 2021 to a score that released in December of 2019?

They cancelled the ceremony altogether last year because of COVID, I think, so they just extended the eligibility

But I think they also follow a weird calendar year, anyway, like the Emmys/Grammys

I don't know what to tell ya but it seems like things got pretty screwy in the last couple years. They were doing normal January-December years, then started doing like 15 month eligibility periods, and then for this one it was July 2019-November 2020. Nominations were announced all the way back in March.

Not an overly strong set of nominees there IMO. I don't remember a note of the music from Parasite... clearly that's there because of the film's (well deserved) reputation.

I could see this going to Newman for 1917, but I actually agree that TROS has more colour and variety as a score, even if I don't enjoy it as much.

I'm happy for JW's score to be recognized, but just for me, any awards body that calls TROS the best science-fiction film of 2019 and 2020 doesn't have my respect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Award_for_Best_Science_Fiction_Film#2010s

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Not an overly strong set of nominees there IMO. I don't remember a note of the music from Parasite... clearly that's there because of the film's (well deserved) reputation.

I could see this going to Newman for 1917, but I actually agree that TROS has more colour and variety as a score, even if I don't enjoy it as much.

Parasite's score has some idiosyncratic stuff, but the Handel piece and the Italian pop song are really the thing in that movie, musically. 

20 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm happy for JW's score to be recognized, but just for me, any awards body that calls TROS the best science-fiction film of 2019 and 2020 doesn't have my respect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Award_for_Best_Science_Fiction_Film#2010s

The FILM won too? WTF!?

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

Personnally I considered a lot of scores and composers I didn't know, because of their nominations at the Saturn Award.

I always prefer the Saturn Awards choices for best score and visual effects than the Oscar, Globes and Bafta at least they rewarded John Williams in 2005 (not pointing the Oscar decision :whistle:)

For instance I'm glad that they nominated Knives Out score which was one of my favourite 

On 28/10/2021 at 6:11 PM, Richard Penna said:

Is there a JW score out there that you enjoy much? You seem to be annoyed if someone likes JW. Maybe because his talent in electronic music is so bad?

6 minutes ago, Sibelius6 said:

I tend to get annoyed when I feel JW is being elevated above other composers, especially to the point where any score he does should 'by default' get the oscar. I feel there's much more than just JW to enjoy in the score world.

Although yes, I think his more atmospheric/textural music is not his strength, and there's where Newman excels.

And yes, there are lots of JW scores I think are fantastic. Just not all of them.

Memoirs still stands as the time to have given him a sixth. More than any other year, he was snubbed. I don't have a grudge against the Brokeback score, really, I think it's a very sweet country tune, dramatically effective and memorable in a better film than Memoirs so I understand why it won.

Been said a million times, John Williams doesn't need another Oscar, five is a nice round number and his four original wins are stone-cold classics, you almost don't wanna mess with it because it looks so good. But he'd arguably still be a legend if his post-1993 career was all he had, it's not just a longevity thing. That composer would be seen as one of the most overdue people ever so it'd be nice to see another Oscar-winner in there. 

Maybe some PR juice can get stirred up over the fact he never won for Indiana Jones lol. 

That he never won for Indy is astounding, particularly Last Crusade, my favourite of the four.

I wonder if I just see the whole 'PR' thing way less seriously than most others here. I don't care in any fashion how popular or visible my favourite composers are, as long as they keep writing music I find interesting. Whether my favourite composers win awards or get visibility to the general masses... really makes little difference to me.

The Oscars in my mind should be 100% ignored nowadays anyway, as the politics underpinning the whole thing IMO make most winners creatively meaningless.

The Oscar are not all bad either they are still having great decision (like Parasite two years ago) but it's true that the winners aren't the most interesting part. IMO the nominees are sufficient enough, presenting great movies and achievements which are worth seeing

In any case Williams yearly nomination is a reminder to all that he is still the master!