David Newman adapting Leonard Bernstein - WEST SIDE STORY 2021

Jay

Wow.  Elgort's singing is awful.  How did Spielberg let this happen, instead of having someone else provide his singing voice?  Yikes!

Here's the info on youtube

Balcony Scene (Tonight) · Rachel Zegler · Ansel Elgort

Balcony Scene (Tonight)

℗ 2021 20th Century Studios

Released on: 2021-12-01

Producer, Associated  Performer, Recording  Arranger: David Newman
Producer, Executive  Producer: Matt Sullivan
Producer: Jeanine Tesori
Studio  Personnel, Recording  Engineer, Mixer: Shawn Murphy
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Lawrence Manchester
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Ian Kagey
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Josh Coleman
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Angie Teo
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Aki Nishimura
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Ben Miller
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Kevin Shaw
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Erin Michael Rettig
Studio  Personnel, Engineer: Cary Clark
Studio  Personnel, Editor: Joe E. Rand
Studio  Personnel, Editor: Ramiro Belgardt
Composer: Leonard Bernstein
Author: Stephen Sondheim

Track times:

1 Prologue (5:54)
2 La Borinqueña (Sharks Version) (1:06)
3 Jet Song (2:11)
4 Something's Coming (2:30)
5 The Dance at the Gym: Blues, Promenade (2:11)
6 The Dance at the Gym: Mambo (3:19)
7 The Dance at the Gym: Cha-Cha, Meeting Scene, Jump (3:28)
8 Maria (3:05)
9 Balcony Scene (Tonight) (5:24)
10 Transition to Scherzo / Scherzo (2:14)
11 America (4:57)
12 Gee, Officer Krupke (4:20)
13 One Hand, One Heart (3:45)
14 Cool (4:03)
15 Tonight (Quintet) (3:28)
16 The Rumble (3:10)
17 I Feel Pretty (2:58)
18 Somewhere (3:10)
19 A Boy Like That / I Have a Love (5:25)
20 Finale (3:36)
21 End Credits (9:03)

TOTAL TIME - 1:19:17

Tracks 1, 5-7, 10, 16, 20, 21 have no singing, though there's some dialogue in 6 and 16

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He sounds okay but she shows him up. He isn't matching her. On his own he's okay but considerably inferior to her. Her voice is properly trained. 

Yeah exactly, he's got a decent voice. "Awful" is a very relative term. Compared to her, he just sounds kinda flat. It's just annoying when you know there are plenty of fellas out there who've got the goods to match her vocally, talented and good-looking, could probably suit a role like Tony and have chemistry with her. Doesn't seem like needle in a haystack casting, but what do I know. I'm not Spielberg, didn't see all his options. And haven't seen/heard Elgort's whole performance.

Also there's just bad vibes around him so you wish he at least had an A++ voice like she does.

As for dubbing him, it's just really not cool anymore, nobody's doing it. People like to know it's the actor singing for themselves. 

Its weird to hear some of the original stage lyrics after having seen the movie so many times

Though I am glad they kept the better version of America. (just with a bit from the stage opening? Interesting choice.)

Sounds overall great either way.

It really is crazy how listening to Elgort's "Maria," I'm thinking, well, look, it's not bad. Not amazing but he's really okay, it's listenable. He's hitting those notes around 2:00, and there's a certain naive charm to the performance. It kinda works that he's not 100% nailing the song but sounds like a boy reaching for it...

...but as soon as "Tonight" starts and he sings after Zegler, I just feel embarrassed for him lmao. I do think it speaks a little more to how great she is, though. 

13 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It really is crazy how listening to Elgort's "Maria," I'm thinking, well, look, it's not bad. Not amazing but he's really okay, it's listenable. He's hitting those notes around 2:00, and there's a certain naive charm to the performance. It kinda works that he's not 100% nailing the song but sounds like a boy reaching for it...

There's a certain roughness, but he's better than a lot of musical singers, stage or film.

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

...but as soon as "Tonight" starts and he sings after Zegler, I just feel embarrassed for him lmao. I do think it speaks a little more to how great she is, though. 

I think, the issue with Elgort's Maria perormance is, you don't hear a passionate guy enflamed by love and expressing this, you hear a guy concentrated on hitting every note and making his voice sound pleasant.

As I've said many a time, "Maria" is one of my favorite pieces of music ever written, and I'm so used to the transcendent Carreras recording (I said it, wanna fight about it?  he's perfect) but even then, Elgort's "Maria" could have had a great acting performance to make up for the lack of technical voice skill..... but it does not.  Not a disaster by any means, and the orchestra is wonderful.

I still predict this will join Spielberg's Young Man Casting Hall of Shame alongside Tye Sheridan in RP1, Justin Chatwin in WOTW, and Jeremy Irvine in War Horse.  Spiely has a knack for picking young male actors that are as interesting to watch as rice pudding.

The kid who played Tad Lincoln wasn't very good either, maybe that's why a bunch of his scenes were cut

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I still predict this will join Spielberg's Young Man Casting Hall of Shame alongside Tye Sheridan in RP1, Justin Chatwin in WOTW, and Jeremy Irvine in War Horse.  Spiely has a knack for picking young male actors that are as interesting to watch as rice pudding.

Sheridan, Irvine, and Elgort all look weirdly alike too. Same pursed lips and dirty blond wavy hair. 

Actually kinda reminds me of DiCaprio haha, maybe that's what he thinks he's looking at. The only really great pick Spielberg had for a pretty boy in his 20s, but of course he was already a superstar. Obviously Henry Thomas, Christian Bale, and Haley Joel Osment were exceptional, and he can claim the first two as discoveries. 

The girls are still usually good. Ruby Barnhill gave an appealing performance as Sophie in BFG, and Rachel Zegler seems to be dynamite. 

Just catching up on this West Side Story thingy. Has it already been noted that music consultant and Hollywood legend JW has written the liner notes for the CD/vinyl release?

I was listening to a podcast and they said the exact same thing that people in this thread are saying. The podcasters LOVED the movie and they hated Ansel.

They made the same point - the film is being sold on the name of Steven Speilberg, Tony Kushner and the pedigree and prestige of the original. The ENTIRE cast is newbies and fresh faces, from the musical theatre scene and ALL getting acclaim. The film is not being sold on Ansel's name at all. In fact they are almost hiding him.

So why then did Speilberg hire Ansel? He could have literally had his pick from the rooster of the brilliant young talents on broadway. Like he could have gotten anybody. A guy who can sing and dance in a heartbeat.

Why was the need to get Ansel in this part? Why?

I love Ansel. He's so cuuute... and probably a closeted gay.

After saying that... his actor skills... well... :lol:

My guess is Tye Sheridan refused the role...

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Tye Sheridan is a great young actor (watch Mud or Joe). He was badly directed in RPO - as we’re the other actors. In that film, it seemed that Spielberg was just in for the action scenes, which were great

43 minutes ago, saulocf said:

Tye Sheridan is a great young actor (watch Mud or Joe). He was badly directed in RPO - as we’re the other actors. In that film, it seemed that Spielberg was just in for the action scenes, which were great

It's not really a great part to begin with. I do remember liking him in Mud. I like Elgort in Baby Driver. Irvine I have no real opinion on, he's just corny in a corny movie. 

Honestly I don't even hate Chatwin lmao. Not like people online do. I don't hate most things like people online do....

Ansel Elgort has the weakest voice out of the entire cast. He has one of those untrained voices that happen to be capable of hitting notes. Reminds me of Ryan Gosling in La La Land where he literally just sings with his talking voice. Elgort, however, has Gosling beat thanks to his ability to handle the vocal ranges of the songs in West Side Story. With that being said, Elgort is not a bad singer. He just pales in comparison to the rest of the cast. This is most apparent in the duet of "Tonight" when Elgort sings "Today all day I had the feeling...", he just could not match the performance that was set by Rachel Zelger in the verse prior. Ariana DeBose and Rachel Zelger are A+ and A performances respectively. Awards may be in order for those two.

"Hi All

Watch a new Film Music Live videocast this Tuesday, December 14th at 1 PM (4PM EST) as DAVID NEWMAN talks about going from the score-to-picture streets of Robert Wise's classic WEST SIDE STORY to arranging the music of Steven Spielberg’s critically acclaimed remake, where he puts a new spring into the steps and songs of Tony, Maria, The Jets and the Sharks for a musical gang that includes Gustavo Dudamel and John Williams.

Special thanks to La-La Land Records for providing CD’s of David’s scores to Hoffa and Galaxy Quest for the first five live questions from U.S. viewers!

Tune in at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-IreuMDUDM

Thanks as always for watching Film Music Live, the show where you get to ask the questions to today's top composers!

Daniel Schweiger
Host, Film Music Live"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146142&forumID=1&archive=0

9 hours ago, Jay said:

"Hi All

Watch a new Film Music Live videocast this Tuesday, December 14th at 1 PM (4PM EST) as DAVID NEWMAN talks about going from the score-to-picture streets of Robert Wise's classic WEST SIDE STORY to arranging the music of Steven Spielberg’s critically acclaimed remake, where he puts a new spring into the steps and songs of Tony, Maria, The Jets and the Sharks for a musical gang that includes Gustavo Dudamel and John Williams.

Special thanks to La-La Land Records for providing CD’s of David’s scores to Hoffa and Galaxy Quest for the first five live questions from U.S. viewers!

Tune in at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-IreuMDUDM

Thanks as always for watching Film Music Live, the show where you get to ask the questions to today's top composers!

Daniel Schweiger
Host, Film Music Live"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146142&forumID=1&archive=0

I’m definitely going to check that out.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Excellent and insightful article.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:12 AM, Disco Stu said:

I wonder how much underscore there is not on the OST.  It’s too bad there’s no longer any Oscar category for score adaptation because then we’d get an FYC for this

If its anything like the 1961 movie with background music, we probably arent missing much.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:12 AM, Disco Stu said:

I wonder how much underscore there is not on the OST.  It’s too bad there’s no longer any Oscar category for score adaptation because then we’d get an FYC for this

I saw the film yesterday. I believe all the music is on the album except for a piece that is heared after The Rumble happens. It starts out pretty dark and than has a variation on Tonight I believe.

I believe this was the only unreleased cue.

I'm listening to the Dudamel recording.

I must say I NEVER liked West Side Story.

The arrangements are a bit more modern, great work from David Newman. And it sure have a more authenthic latino sound.... and well  that's why Dudamel is conducting, right?

But for me, the music is still stuck in the 60s.

I'm not a fan of musicals, period.

Sorry...