James Horner's WILLOW (1988) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

Wasn’t the whole story of the Willow release that the source for this was some ancient long-album program that was prepared by Horner?  It so, it seems unlikely that there is any dialogue bleed-through.  Nonetheless, I cranked it up and definitely hear something going on too.

40 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Wasn’t the whole story of the Willow release that the source for this was some ancient long-album program that was prepared by Horner?  It so, it seems unlikely that there is any dialogue bleed-through.  Nonetheless, I cranked it up and definitely hear something going on too.

I thought I heard that before as well, but I can't find an official statement about it. The CD booklet states, "This release was mastered from the original stereo session mixes made by Shawn Murphy at Abbey Road and Air Studios in London." The Intrada website says it was "mastered from the original digital stereo mixes made by Shawn Murphy at the scoring sessions and beautifully preserved by engineer Simon Rhodes."

Regardless, I'm convinced it is some kind of speech that can be heard, particularly in the left channel. It sounds too high-pitched to be regular recording booth chatter. From what I can make out, it sounds like it could be dialogue from the Brownies in this scene (this is where the music plays): 

I wonder if the dialogue track was playing back in the recording booth and it was loud enough that the mics picked it up towards the quiet end of the cue. Pure speculation on my part.

40 minutes ago, Trope said:

I thought I heard that before as well, but I can't find an official statement about it. The CD booklet states, "This release was mastered from the original stereo session mixes made by Shawn Murphy at Abbey Road and Air Studios in London." The Intrada website says it was "mastered from the original digital stereo mixes made by Shawn Murphy at the scoring sessions and beautifully preserved by engineer Simon Rhodes."

That comes from this audio interview I also only discovered today, the talk about the sources starts at 11 minutes or so:

2 hours ago, Trope said:

Correct! So your headphone dialogue leak theory is also feasible.

how... loud is the headphone and how sensitive the closest musician's mic is for this to happen?

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

how... loud is the headphone and how sensitive the closest musician's mic is for this to happen?

There are scores where you can hear the click track on the official album (Last Crusade, for example). I've never quite understood how this happens, but the possible explanations I came up with over the years are the same that have been suggested above.

I cannot think of any reason why the conductor would need to hear film dialogue in his headphones while conducting the music.  That isn't how you record film scores.