Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie (Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy directing, Stephen Knight writing)

Jay

I'm surprised the "Comics Code Authority" put their stamp of approval on it, considering they didn't for this Spider-Man drug story, which came out at the same time I believe...

image.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Green_Lantern_vol.2_85_(1971).jpg

My "ward"? 🤔 

a person, usually a minor, under the care and control of a guardian appointed by their parents or a court.
"for the last three years, the boy has been my ward"

Right, I know what a ward is. But to me it seemed like he meant to say "My word"? I didn't understand the context with the comic. Is there a guardian/ward relationship between Green Lantern. Green Arrow & whoever this apparently crazed out druggie is I'm unaware of? 

Yes, Roy Harper/Speedy is Oliver Queen/Green Arrow’s orphan ward - a similar dynamic to Batman and Robin.

I am not sure if this is still the case, as there have been numerous universe reboots since that time.  I’m also not sure if Oliver Queen is still Green Arrow or if Roy Harper is still Speedy (or who is currently Batman, or Robin for that matter - there have been plenty and I’ve been out of the DC comics game since around the time of Blackest Night).

Golden and silver age comics were very wordy.  The awkward wording here is par for the course for that era.

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

I am not sure if this is still the case, as there have been numerous universe reboots since that time.  I’m also not sure if Oliver Queen is still Green Arrow or if Roy Harper is still Speedy (or who is currently Batman, or Robin for that matter - there have been plenty and I’ve been out of the DC comics game since around the time of Blackest Night).

Poor Roy have led a tumultuous life, and his drug use case during the 70s kinda defined the character as a tragic figure of sorts. He even had a daughter with a villain (which also died, but came back).

Lately, he was killed during the Heroes in Crisis story arc (which has become one of the most hated and despised events ever by DC fans, and that's saying something) but ressuscitated during the Infinite Frontier era after the reboot of the multiverse that followed Dark Nights: Death Metal. 

Oliver was recently killed during the Death of the Justice League issue, which saw the League facing the Dark Army in a battle that costed their lives and set up the Dark Crisis story arc. The League eventually got back (of course) for the final battle against the villain Pariah, but Ollie disappeared somewhere in the multiverse.

For the newest DC phase (Dawn of DC), Joshua Williamson (who wrote Dark Crisis) is helming a Green Arrow book where Oliver travels through multiple universes, eras (there's an issue where he encounters Parallax Hal Jordan, but I haven't read it), etc., while the rest of the Arrow family (Roy/Speedy, Dinah/Black Canary, etc) is searching for him.

Not only it's (very) complicated but also not very good. Over the last few years, DC has published mostly bad stuff written by crappy creators - and Marvel is an even bigger mess!

And people here think Lucasfilm is in bad shape... In the comic book industry, especially concerning the big two, things have been hellish (with a few exceptions).

Which makes me wonder why people speculate so much about the reasons capeshit movies have been screwing up recently, since I kind of figured their downfall would be inevitable if they were gonna boast being more like their source material :lol:

The ultimate Very Special Episode was the Diff'rent Strokes with the Bicycle Shop Owner.  Scarred a generation for life

.maxresdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

All the people in the world excited to see this movie:

Tumbleweed Desert GIF - Tumbleweed Desert Deserted - Discover & Share GIFs  | Cool gifs, Gif, Deserts

@mstrox and I are rolling our way to pick up Williams, who is also excited.

Endless events have made superhero comics awful for me.  It used to be that a big crossover was An Event, now it’s a yearly thing - with all books intertwining, so to understand what’s going on in Detective Comics now all of a sudden you have to buy all the event issues, and all the Green Lantern books, and all of Swamp thing, and so on and so on.  It’s infected Star Wars books over the past few years as well, which I do keep up with - and I hate it!  If I didn’t think it would impact my comic guy significantly, I’d stop all my pulls.

All-ages and elseworlds books are actually more interesting these days, just because they deign to tell straightforward comics stories.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

In the comic book industry, especially concerning the big two, things have been hellish (with a few exceptions).

That comic shop owner's rant a couple of weeks back pointed to the big issue in comics today, and in pop culture in general.

57 minutes ago, Andy said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I had successfully blocked this out of my memory!

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Poor Rey have led a tumultuous life, and her drug use case during the 70s kinda defined the character as a tragic figure of sorts. She even had a daughter with a villain (which also died, but came back).

(fixed)

The story of Disney’s new Star Wars Rey movie has leaked.

23 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Also loving the fact people would rather talk about comic books than this movie 😂

We should have plenty to say after it comes out. I imagine the 'Star Wars Disenchantment Thread' will be hopping.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

We should have plenty to say after it comes out. I imagine the 'Star Wars Disenchantment Thread' will be hopping.

True. But he who must not be named resides there. If this film bombs I wonder if it's still because of Lucasfilms plan? 

4 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

True. But he who must not be named resides there. If this film bombs I wonder if it's still because of Lucasfilms plan? 

If the aim is to kill the golden goose, then everything is going to plan...

38 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

We should have plenty to say IF it comes out

Fixed.

Given Lucasfilm's poor management, this is never a guaranteed thing.

Anyway, anyone else been reading some nice comics? :)

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, anyone else been reading some nice comics? :)

Not really kept up with comics. And haven't read much outside of Transformers, well not after IDWs first TF continuity though as it was best not to start the new one due to cost and running out of space to store them. 

I also got a bunch of Marvels Star Wars comics that are meant to be canon, but are frequently decanonised by other media. They are definitely comics I have read, which is the best I can say about them. 

I also have the TMNT Ultimate Collection hardbacks that I keep meaning to read. 

How about you? 

8 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

How about you? 

Well, Green Lantern is my favorite superhero, and after some irregular years DC finally got some decent writers and artists for them. Jeremy Adams, who restored Wally West's reputation after Heroes in Crisis, is writing the main Hal Jordan book, while Phillip Kennedy Johnson, who wrote one of the most beloved Superman story arcs in recent times (the Warworld saga) is now doing another book centered on John Stewart (the GL of the Justice League animated series from the 2000s).

I'm also re-reading for the third or fourth time the 2000s GL comics by Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons and Peter Tomasi that made the franchise reach the pinnacle of its popularity. I just love this era, it's what got me into seriously reading superhero comics.

And I believe there's a fair amount of people who don't care for traditional superheroics from the likes of Spiderman and Batman but love Star Wars and space operas that would fall in love with the whole War of Light Saga that happened on the late 2000s/early 2010s Green Lantern comics. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, Green Lantern is my favorite superhero, and after some irregular years DC finally got some decent writers and artists for them. Jeremy Adams, who restored Wally West's reputation after Heroes in Crisis, is writing the main Hal Jordan book, while Phillip Kennedy Johnson, who wrote one of the most beloved Superman story arcs in recent times (the Warworld saga) is now doing another book centered on John Stewart (the GL of the Justice League animated series from the 2000s).

I'm also re-reading for the third or fourth time the 2000s GL comics by Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons and Peter Tomasi that made the franchise reach the pinnacle of its popularity. I just love this era, it's what got me into seriously reading superhero comics.

And I believe there's a fair amount of people who don't care for traditional superheroics from the likes of Spiderman and Batman but love Star Wars and space operas that would fall in love with the whole War of Light Saga that happened on the late 2000s/early 2010s Green Lantern comics. 

One of my friends is a huge Green Lantern fan aswell so a lot of this has been mentioned but must admit as much as I try to listen some of it does go over my head. 

What're the current Hal Jordan and John Stewart runs called? I'll ask if he's keeping up and if not pass on your recommendation.

Not sure but I think his favourite run was about the Black ring or something, it had something to do with zombie lanterns maybe? 

Also the JLU episode The Great Brain Robbery is my favourite all time body swap story. 

But back on topic, I read Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoys other comments and something that stuck out was “We’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.” This just flies in the face of so many women who have had creative input for Star Wars. Never mind Athena Portillo who Dave Filoni has said without her there is no Clone Wars or Katie Lucas who was also a writer on the show. Carrie Beck and Jennifer Corbett both writing a majority of Rebels and Bad Batch. Deborah Chow who directed every episode of Obi Wan. It's so disrespectful to just say that women haven't had any input in Star Wars in recent years and undermines all those that have. Not least to mention that everything Star Wars is overseen by a woman! 

50 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

I read Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoys other comments and something that stuck out was “We’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.” This just flies in the face of so many women who have had creative input for Star Wars.

Something tells me she's not terribly informed on all things "Star Wars"...

Bob Iger said that Disney had to course-correct, and not let politics get in the way of good storytelling...but approves the hiring of a political activist to direct, who apparently welcomes the opportunity to use the Star Wars universe as a platform.

I'll try to give her the benefit of the doubt, but it's not looking good.

6 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I imagine the 'Star Wars Disenchantment Thread' will be hopping.

And the Star Wars is Better than Everything Thread where people will praise the movie as “The Empire Strikes Back” of the Rey movies.

7 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

What're the current Hal Jordan and John Stewart runs called? I'll ask if he's keeping up and if not pass on your recommendation.

The new Hal book is just Green Lantern Vol. 7, which has been published since May of the last year. It has (I think) 7 issues so far, plus two tie ins for a stupid event DC did in the middle of the last year (they can help themselves but do a massive event every six months). But that event was so poorly received by fans, and so irrelevant to the overall narrative of Adams' book, that you can ignore them entirely!

The John Stewart book is called Green Lantern: War Journal. It's part of a major push to get him stories where he's the protagonist. Even though he has been an important character for decades, only recently DC decided to give him some stories as the actual protagonist. He was the main character on Green Lantern Vol. 6, but that book had terrible reception by fans and was cut short due to the Dark Crisis event (which saw poor John being killed alongside the rest of the Justice League).

Anyway, as promising as those books have been so far, they're not (yet) the best ones ever in the history of the franchise. Which leads me to...

7 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Not sure but I think his favourite run was about the Black ring or something, it had something to do with zombie lanterns maybe? 

Yep. That's the Blackest Night story arc, the climax of everything Geoff Johns and his team were building up since ressurecting Hal Jordan in 2005. It's the culmination of the War of Light saga, where the Black Lantern rings are awaken by an ancient prophecy and start bringing back deceased heroes and villains alike in an attempt to extinguish the universe of all emotion. It's a GREAT story filled with incredible art and some huge climaxes to everything DC was doing in the 2000s. 

Anyway, that wasn't the end of Johns' run on the characters. He stayed up until the first 20 issues of The New 52 (which began in 2011) and although his post-Blackest Night writing wasn't as stellar as what came before, it still had some amazing moments (I love the War of the Green Lanterns saga) and gave the franchise something rarely seem on superhero comics: a definitive ending. 

He (and his team, who were writing the other books for the franchise, like Green Lantern Corps and The New Guardians) gave everyone such a satisfactory and closed ending by the end of GL Vol. 5 #20 that if you decide never to read a Green Lantern comic again after that you'd be okay (especially because what came later was very irregular, with a few decent moments but a lot of horrid ones). Kinda like post-Endgame MCU...

Seriously, anyone who likes space operas and space fantasy a la Star Wars but has been utterly disappointed by the current crop of space stories (including those from SW itself) should give these comics a chance.

Speaking of Star Wars... sigh. Even though Disney itself admitted that betting so hugely on the culture wars only drove people away from the company, they still insist on hiring people that would still insist on that kind of confrontational attitude. 

The attitude of people working for Disney chased away older fans and even casual moviegoers while not bringing enough new and diverse fans to justify their massive investments. Why not just, you know, making something that will please everyone instead of being so confrontational against (what they consider) bad people like white males?

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The attitude of people working for Disney chased away older fans and even casual moviegoers while not bringing enough new and diverse fans to justify their massive investments.

It has also led to a creativity drain that has seen senior creatives leaving the company because of the politically charged atmosphere there. Here's just an example...

During an employee meeting, the usually banal topic of restocking the cereal in the break room was turned into a political debate when someone was accused of showing "privilege" by asking for name-brand cereal.

So rather than walk on eggshells around these people, they're choosing to leave and work for other companies.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

During an employee meeting, the usually banal topic of restocking the cereal in the break room was turned into a political debate when someone was accused of showing "privilege" by asking for name-brand cereal.

Wait, did that really happen at the Disney offices? Is there a reliable source for this?

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, did that really happen at the Disney offices? Is there a reliable source for this?

I read it somewhere. Stories get out and get around, and they're not all going to be reported by The Washington Post.

Feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but it's such an oddly specific story that I'm inclined to believe it.

As long as Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel/Pixar/Hollywood is hiring people for their political views, sexual and racial identity over objective merit and talent, nothing's going to change, things will get worse and worse, and these companies will be losing more and more money, until the biggest investors and stockholders will finally slam on the table and say: "Enough is enough, we want the most talented people telling the best stories, not activists hired based on their identity politics who are turning escapist entertainment into political and social justice statements, alienating 90% of the audience." 

Until that happens, we'll be getting Rey movies and Helenas. 

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It sounds like one of those weird Woke Panic stories that people’s drunk uncles with flags as profile pics share on Facebook

I suppose it'll sound like whatever people would like it to sound like.

3 minutes ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

I am. :(

Despite my misgivings, I'm hoping it's a good movie, and will be sitting in the theatre with my arms uncrossed and eyebrow unarched. I'm curious to see how they develop Rey as a character.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I'm curious to see how they develop Rey as a character.

I'm not. But happy for those who still believe in Star Wars or that it can still be good. 

I'm afraid that 99% of the people who are fans of George Lucas' Star Wars movies  - mainly the OT - gave up on Star Wars in 2015. Some of them did back in 1999. But very likely all of them did in 2019. 

Those who still believe in Disney-Lucasfilm-Iger-Kennedy-Filoni, will most definitely have a wonderful experience when watching the Rey movie in 2026, and I'm happy for them. Star Wars - what's left of it, which, honestly isn't much -  is theirs now. I wish them all the best.

Yeah, I hope it's good and pleases fans old and new, perhaps enough to make people enthused for the franchise again. I'm not exactly confident that that will happen, but I'll be happy if SW goes back to being something beloved by people from different generations and backgrounds and not just the biggest culture war battlefield.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

As long as Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel/Pixar/Hollywood is hiring people for their political views, sexual and racial identity over objective merit and talent

Ms. Marvel was absolutely fantastic, arguably the best Disney+ MCU show (at least until Loki Season 2 really stuck the landing...)

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to see it, writing it off as "identity pandering" or something... but for me Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy has plenty of objective merit and talent.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to see it

Apparently no one else saw it, either. 
https://www.nme.com/news/tv/ms-marvel-earns-lowest-viewership-of-any-marvel-disney-show-3251555

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

but for me Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy has plenty of objective merit and talent.

She is a journalist, an activist and a documentary filmmaker. How does it make her qualified for directing a Star Wars movie? 

35 minutes ago, JTW said:

Yeah, we discussed this on the forum thread -- there was literally a big negative campaign against it, for no reason other than it was starring a young female Muslim character. But it's absolutely wonderful, one of the best Marvel shows, and (for what little I realize it's worth) the highest-rated Marvel show on Rotten Tomatoes. Maybe give it a shot. You might be surprised.

38 minutes ago, JTW said:

She is a journalist, an activist and a documentary filmmaker. How does it make her qualified for directing a Star Wars movie? 

I'd say directing two of the biggest episodes of Ms. Marvel is more what got her the gig. But hey, you could take those same qualifications and ask, "How does it make her qualified for directing key episodes of a big budget MCU series?"

And they turned out very well indeed.

I didn't think directing Shrek of all things really made Andrew Adamson qualified to direct Narnia... and yet he made two very good Narnia movies!

On the other hand nobody could be considered MORE qualified to direct follow-ups to Alien than Ridley Scott... and those really sucked. Maybe not as much as George Lucas's Star Wars prequels, but they were baaad.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box?

Yavar

I can't comment on Obaid-Chinoy's work as I haven't seen any, but feel comfortable in saying that she wasn't handed the keys to 'Star Wars' just on the strength of directing a couple of 'Ms. Marvel' episodes...

Why not, then, ask Bryce Dallas Howard—who directed two episodes of 'The Mandalorian' and one of 'The Book of Boba Fett', that were also well-received by fans, with her getting praise as someone who understands and has a deep love for the franchise?

Howard has referred to the Star Wars universe as an asset to storytelling and seems content to work in it without imbuing it with her personal politics—nor does she seem to wear the fact that she's a female director on her sleeve.

On the other hand, Obaid-Chinoy wears her gender as a badge, and—if we're to judge by her recent statement—is heavily intimating that it's going to colour her approach to 'Star Wars'...and that's where things can go sideways.

When she says they are going to create something "very special," I can't help but think that will involve more pandering to a small, select audience.

But—trying to keep an open mind here!

33 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

On the other hand nobody could be considered MORE qualified to direct follow-ups to Alien than Ridley Scott... and those really sucked. Maybe not as much as George Lucas's Star Wars prequels, but they were baaad.

Well, a lot of people would disagree with you on both Prometheus and the Star Wars prequels. Prometheus made profit and has a huge cult following (Covenant was a much worse film). 
And the SW prequels were not only hugely successful, but are now widely regarded as great SW films, especially compared to the Disney content.
And Scott and Lucas were way more qualified to direct follow-up films in the franchise that they created, than a documentary filmmaker activist who has directed only a couple of tv show episodes for a Marvel show no one cared about, and has never directed any big budget feature films, let alone sci-fi or fantasy, let alone STAR WARS, one of the greatest franchises in film history. And were she not female and a person of color, and wasn’t the president of Lucasfilm a feminist woman, she would never get this job. But she’s not not qualified because she’s a woman or because she’s not white, but because she lacks experience, knowledge and has a clear misandrist political agenda that has nothing to do with Star Wars. But since all Kathleen Kennedy cares about is pushing feminism and tokenism, to check boxes as pandering to a small group of people, she has given a Star Wars film to an openly misandrist non-white female activist with no experience in directing a big budget feature length sci-fi fantasy film. Yay.

Dude, do you think they just hire these people from the streets or something? Is Tommy fucking Wiseau more qualified because he technically started from wanting to tell a story first? Shouldn't that automatically be assumed the moment someone gets onboard?