Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie (Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy directing, Stephen Knight writing)

Jay

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This starts filming in four months, so I guess it'll be the first Star Wars movie to actually get made in six years

https://productionlist.com/production/untitled-star-wars-project-obaid-chinoy/

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Let's be honest, it's probably the only upcoming project that MIGHT yield us some new John Williams Star Wars music.

He ain't scoring the Filoni movie and the Mangold film's time period seems like fertile territory for fresh blood.

Honestly, I think he's done with Star Wars at this stage. We were lucky that he was tantalized into writing a theme for Obi-Wan.

I think so, too. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I mean, its Episode X in all but name, so there would be some sense from Williams' standpoint to want to at least do something for it, and if he does it'll be pretty cool!

Honestly, Williams scoring or at least contributing material for the Mangold film - which is effectivelly Episode 0 - wouldn't be the worst idea. Embryonic form of the Emperor's and the Jedi's music galore!

To be fair, none of the other cancelled Star Wars movies got as far as having a filming start date set (I don't believe)

Of all the movies announced, I think this one is the most likely to actually get released. Filoni's being a Mandoverse and with how well Ashoka was received it wouldn't surprise me if that one went straight to Disney Plus. And after DOD, I can see it being a "we're very proud of Mangolds take on Indy, we are working on his new Star Wars, which we're all excited about" from Kathleen Kennedy for a number of years before it's quietly cancelled (but not publicly, how's that trilogy coming along Rian?). 

It doesn't help that the premise of Mangold's film sounds TERRIBLE!

Yeah, the discovery of the Force, founding of the Jedi order, presumably the Republic, and I'm assuming the Sith splitting from the order. That sounds totally filmable! :unsure:

Just hire those guys who made Godzilla Minus One for $15 million, problem solved.

Save even more money with an all-Japanese cast of unknowns, problem solved.

After all, isn't Stars Wars just a big Kurosawa remake? I read that somewhere.

Lightsabers clash bright,
Samurai in space unite,
Force flows like moonlight.

-Nick1Ø66

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

With Daisy Ridley coming back I wouldn't be surprised if Williams did the same as Solo and write a main theme with some other pieces to be adapted by the composer. 

I am afraid, he already wrote a theme for Rey.

I liked Rey as a character so I am hopeful that this will turn out ok, but I'm concerned Disney won't put story front and centre and will insist on shoehorning in the usual preachy elements.

22 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Just hire those guys who made Godzilla Minus One for $15 million, problem solved.

If that's how much it cost then Lucasfilm should definitely give them a call (also was surprised to see this isn't showing at the Phoenix Picturehouse in Oxford) 

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am afraid, he already wrote a theme for Rey.

I'm sure Williams could write a new theme or another variation of Reys 😂

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

After all, isn't Stars Wars just a big Kurosawa remake? I read that somewhere.

Chen, biting his lips to stop himself being Cato about how Star Wars owes a lot less to Kurosawa than George Lucas would like us to think, and a lot more to Barsoom and Lensmen than Lucas would likewise have us think. :lol:

48 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Pretty sure JW would walk if they tell him they want to scrap his Rey theme and start over. He loves that theme

That's the thing. Clearly they'll use Rey's Theme throughout, which means JW needs to be consulted. And we all know his anecdote about not letting anyone else touch that theme...

I think the most likely outcome is the original Indy 5 plan. JW will write a few new themes, new variations of Rey's Theme, some key cues, then hand the rest to Ross (or maybe Powell).

After the Kenobi debacle I can't see them risking an up-and-coming composer without extensive industry experience.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Chen, biting his lips to stop himself being Cato about how Star Wars owes a lot less to Kurosawa than George Lucas would like us to think, and a lot more to Barsoom and Lensmen than Lucas would likewise have us think. :lol:

Roger Ebert: "And what's the meaning of it all? Who knows and who cares!"

Chen: "Speak for yourself!"

23 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Roger Ebert: "And what's the meaning of it all? Who knows and who cares!"

Chen: "Speak for yourself!"

I prefer it more like this:

"What is true in a man’s life is not what he does, but the legend which grows up around him. You must never destroy legends."

Chen: Oh yeah? Watch me, Oscar Wilde!

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

I prefer it more like this:

"What is true in a man’s life is not what he does, but the legend which grows up around him. You must never destroy legends."

Chen: Oh yeah? Watch me, Oscar Wilde!

Hooper drives the boat Chenie!

6 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

It is. They're just faking this whole not being filmed yet thing so they can take some time to measure the pulse of when the fanbase is going to be open to more Star Wars films again. 

Oh of course, silly me, that makes perfect sense. 

The Rey movie is the only one you can bet on being made, cuz she's Kathleen Kennedy's contribution to Star Wars...and before her contract expires (or she's given the heave-ho along with her cohort Bob Iger), she's attempting to future-proof the character by making her the leader of a new Jedi Order.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I'll say for Disney: they're persistent. To their utter detriment.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There was a very special episode of Full House where Stephanie’s friends smoked cigarettes in the bathroom at school , maybe it’s like that

I miss those "very special" episodes. They dealt with some difficult subjects with humour. What lesson do you suppose Rey will learn?