Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie (Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy directing, Stephen Knight writing)

Jay

On 08/04/2023 at 10:27 AM, crocodile said:

I think it would be a good idea to give John Boyega a role worth of his character, especially given the implied Force sensitivity.

He should have died sacrificing himself to save the Resistance in TLJ, that would have been a perfect arc for the character that needed to "get as far away from the First Order" as possible.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

He should have died sacrificing himself to save the Resistance in TLJ, that would have been a perfect arc for the character that needed to "get as far away from the First Order" as possible.

Especially since the Novel implies his arc is becoming invested in the resistance instead of just being there because Rey is there.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

Kennedy says all Star Wars films will have a title crawl moving forward.

But will JW's Main Title accompany them, I wonder?

It would be interesting to start the Mandalorian feature movie with the crawl and JW Main Title.  LG’s theme is so much in the DNA of the Mandoverse. 

Although, it sounds like the film will feature the New Republic story threads, for which “the Star Wars Theme” is a good fit.  X-Wings and New Order and such. 

On 09/04/2023 at 9:09 PM, crumbs said:

Kennedy says all Star Wars films will have a title crawl moving forward.

But will JW's Main Title accompany them, I wonder?

How long until the release "special editions" of Solo and Rogue One with an opening crawl added? :P

If they go with Williams music for the crawl, I feel like they are locking in the musical style for all future films as well. 

Its an opening… but it does not crawl…

BtW i prefer the classic approach but i wouldnt mind if the go the Tie Fighter way and make a version with the film theme, as long as it has the visual title crawl.

i actually prefer what they did in Solo and Rogue One instead to feeling forced to do the same thing always. Heck, it's even hard to understand for me that the crawls of the prequels don't have new music in them...

I think they should make an all women Star Wars movie with Rey as the hero, Third Sister as the villain, outtake/b roll for the obligatory flashbacks of Leia as mentor, Zorii Bliss as the love interest directed by Deborah Chow with a score by Joan Williams.  

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

Heck, it's even hard to understand for me that the crawls of the prequels don't have new music in them...

Williams said they considered doing something different there, but came to "feel it was obligatory."

I think it works.

15 minutes ago, karelm said:

I think they should make an all women Star Wars movie with Rey as the hero, Third Sister as the villain, outtake/b roll for the obligatory flashbacks of Leia as mentor, Zorii Bliss as the love interest directed by Deborah Chow with a score by Joan Williams.  

Why stop there? Use clever cutting and CGI to make a Zori Bliss/Leia Organa love story, to explain why she blew off Poe in TROS.

Have no leaf unturned, we need to know EVERYTHING.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Williams said they considered doing something different there, but came to "feel it was obligatory."

I think it works.

oooh i didn't know this!

1 minute ago, TolkienSS said:

Why stop there? Use clever cutting and CGI to make a Zori Bliss/Leia Organa love story, to explain why she blew off Poe in TROS.

Have no leaf unturned, we need to know EVERYTHING.

i'm afraid that, since we know everything, we already know that Leia wasn't into women, per the new books

Holdo on the other hand

1 hour ago, karelm said:

But then please not with this annoying girls best friends (let's all go to the rest room together) dynamic like in the recent Marvel movies with jokes about dresses and hairdos, that always feel like watching the girls version of "Hangover".

Making a sequel to one of the most disappointing films of all time seems like a bad idea especially when the TV shows have been doing so much to salvage the brand. 

Hopefully they keep Kylo Ren out of it. I’ve had enough of that character and I’m sick of the sight of Adam Driver by now. 

32 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Making a sequel to one of the most disappointing films of all time seems like a bad idea

It does seem somewhat risky, but unless they are going to throw the trilogy in the trash and start over, they have to move forward in some way with completely ignoring them. Also, its mostly the older fans who dislike the trilogy so much but they need to appeal to the younger generation to keep Star Wars alive. TFA is 8 years old already and there are a lot of kids that grew up on these characters. 

I grew up on the prequel trilogy and I love them despite their  flaws. Many people viewed them as the most disappointing films of all time.

47 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Making a sequel to one of the most disappointing films of all time seems like a bad idea especially when the TV shows have been doing so much to salvage the brand. 

Hopefully they keep Kylo Ren out of it. I’ve had enough of that character and I’m sick of the sight of Adam Driver by now. 

Mando, Boba, and Obi Wan are worse than any ST film.  So boring 

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Boba Fett and Obi-Wan are some of the worst Star Wars productions (for TV or otherwise) ever made. Despite the huge budget, they're still The CW-levels of quality.

Nah. CW shows at least have some heart

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Hopefully they keep Kylo Ren out of it.

Thing is, without a Sith character, what is the conflict in a movie about re-instating the Jedi Order? Without that conflict, its basically a drama about a schoolmaster... O how exciting!

Such a flawed enterprise.

Unless by some miracle of God, the Force, and Daisy Ridley they get John Williams to come back, there's so many candidates for this movie I'd love to see do the score.

Michael Giacchino is always my first choice for any Star Wars project, especially whenever I think about what he can accomplish with the benefit of time. Although, after working with her on Ms. Marvel and shouting her out on Instagram, I think Sharmeen will pick Laura Karpman who is a very underrated talent. James Newton Howard has always been a personal pipe dream for me. I think he's earned his flowers in this regard. John Debney wouldn't hurt either. 

Another wish is that John can create a theme and someone else does the rest of the score. Which is essentially my way of saying I hope John Powell is at least considered. Whoever they get, I hope they do a great job.

32 minutes ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Michael Giacchino is always my first choice for any Star Wars project, especially whenever I think about what he can accomplish with the benefit of time.

Oh God, I forgot about that. This really could be a disaster. 

Assuming Williams isn’t interested, I’d love for them to bring on a wide variety of composers for these and LET them each write in their own style.  Aping Williams is asking for trouble.

Really?  I thought it was pretty nifty.  Fairly groundbreaking in terms of Star Wars spfx and nice to see Luke again.  The Lone Wolf and Cub homage with the saber or armor choice was clever also, no?

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Really?  I thought it was pretty nifty.  Fairly groundbreaking in terms of Star Wars spfx and nice to see Luke again.  The Lone Wolf and Cub homage with the saber or armor choice was clever also, no?

A really bad narrative detour of a narrative detour, creepy/ghoulish use of VFX, really bad dialogue (I think Luke says something like "I once knew someone small and green like you.  His name was Yoda and he was wise and full of joy"

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

WAIT A MINUTE

Is this the Episode X we were promised in the Disenchantment thread? 

I wonder how the theory will change once this film inevitably doesn't use TROS-recorded music...

Seems like this film will be first cab off the rank of the 3 films Lucasfilm announced. Supposedly Mangold is doing his Bob Dylan biopic first, before looking at Star Wars.

So 2025... it's not inconceivable that JW could write a few themes for this. The question is who he'd trust to adapt Rey's Theme, considering how protective he was during the sequels. Bill Ross or Powell?

You'd have to assume JW will have some input in the decision.

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

Thing I know from other thing! That makes thing good.

Boba's present timeline is written, staged, directed badly, the new stuff like the scooter kids all suck ass, the action scenes are terrible, everyone's just dumb. The Mando interlude is only there to completely undo most of S2 and its emotional ending immediately.

Obi is full of awful writing, awful dumb characters, awful dull cinematography, awful awful action scenes, awful copypaste repeated plot.

Saying things are awful is not an explanation.

2 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Saying things are awful is not an explanation.

The original post from @Andyalso makes zero attempt to justify why any of what was listed is good

Nor is there any justification for the claim that Andor has serious tonal and pacing issues