Bob Iger might be preparing to sell Disney to Apple

Edmilson

Some interesting news for those who hate Disney and those who like it:

Bob Iger Is Reportedly Preparing To Sell Disney
It appears that CEO Bob Iger is reportedly preparing to sell Disney according to new rumors about such a potential transaction.

Are we going to see a future where every company in Hollywood will be owned by a handful of tech companies?

If Apple were to acquire Disney, job losses could be a possibility due to potential restructuring and cost-saving measures.

Concerning Lucasfilm... The potential selling of Disney to Apple could bring both opportunities and challenges for Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise. It might provide access to new resources and technology for expansion, but could also lead to shifts in creative direction and management.

Mickey Mouse Ears Hat Mac Apple Logo Cover Laptop Vinyl - Etsy Canada

Disney and Apple have worked together in the past. I think Iger was an honorary board member or something like that at Apple many years ago. Also Jobs sold Pixar to Disney at one point.

However it seems like it's in neither company's interest to merge. Apple should build tech and not own theme parks lol.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So the Star Wars extended score release will only be available via iTunes?

…at least they'll come pre-installed on the new iPods or iPhones or somethings.

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

The topic of the antitrust laws will show up again.

I'm still amazed Disney was able to engulf Fox, Marvel, Lucasfilm and whatever else without the issue of competition coming into play, but then money 

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It appears that CEO Bob Iger is reportedly preparing to sell Disney according to new rumors about such a potential transaction.

Isn't Disney a public company, so technically it would be merger? Unlike Lucasfilm which genuinely belonged to George.

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm still amazed Disney was able to engulf Fox, Marvel, Lucasfilm and whatever else without the issue of competition coming into play, but then money

but it could because of the streaming, in an analogous way to decades ago and the studio system owning cinemas?

but it doesnt have to turn out the same way. i don't kno

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Reading the article, the rumor seems to have gained traction from Grace Randolph. She's basically Mike Zeroh but slightly more nuts. I think it's safe to say this is 100% BS.

Quoted and saved for posterity and future Told You So.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Yeah this...isn't happening.

It is.

The only question is how the pie will be split, and if Lucasfilm and other subsets will be sold separately.

Disney is dead, the people in charge have done a fantastic job in making just about every IP unattractive and unprofitable.

i wonder what apple's attitude towards unions, child labor,  copyright, drm, spicy things and "content" generating programs is going to be, and can programmed obsolescence apply to fiction somehow?

The Department of Justice wouldn’t allow the world’s largest company to swallow the world’s biggest media conglomerate, would it??

Even if it did, why would Apple’s board go ahead with that? Now Tim Cook would have to concern himself with the running of theme parks, cruise ships, music publishing, and a hundred years of wide-ranging pop culture IP on top of the zillion things he’s got going on at Apple. That’s an I sane workload. 

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

The Department of Justice wouldn’t allow the world’s largest company to swallow the world’s biggest media conglomerate, would it??

Even if it did, why would Apple’s board go ahead with that? Now Tim Cook would have to concern himself with the running of theme parks, cruise ships, music publishing, and a hundred years of wide-ranging pop culture IP on top of the zillion things he’s got going on at Apple. That’s an I sane workload. 

these people aren't responsible for these things.

9 hours ago, Brónach said:

these people aren't responsible for these things.

Which people? The DOJ? It’s called antitrust. Apple’s board? It’s called not fucking your company over by saddling it with the responsibilities of the worlds largest media company (which already probably should never have been allowed by the DOJ to swallow Fox after buying Lucasfilm and Pixar).