96th Academy Awards (2024 Oscars for 2023 films)

Jay

Film Music Reporter is displaying their predictions for the Best Score Oscar

2024 OSCARS ORIGINAL SCORE PREDICTIONS

1. Oppenheimer – Ludwig Göransson
2. Poor Things – Jerskin Fendrix
3. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny – John Williams
4. Elemental – Thomas Newman
5. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Daniel Pemberton

Runner-ups:

6. American Fiction – Laura Karpman
7. Killers of the Flower Moon – Robbie Robertson
8. Origin – Kris Bowers
9. Society of the Snow – Michael Giacchino
10. Saltburn – Anthony Willis
11. Nyad – Alexandre Desplat
12. Napoleon – Martin Phipps
13. Rustin – Branford Marsalis
14. The Boy and the Heron – Joe Hisaishi
15. Barbie – Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt

Your thoughts?

I think Williams' odds at another nomination are very slim, especially considering that Indy 5 bombed at the box office and wasn't exactly beloved by audiences. Elemental also seems like a long shot.

Poor Things and Oppenheimer are pretty much guaranteed. Barbie is also a sure bet. Giacchino, Pemberton, Hisaishi, Robertson and Phipps have decent chances as well.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Here's the thing: if the score to DoD is nominated for the Oscar, I'll use Lorne Balfe as my avatar for one month. And if it somehow wins, I'll use the Balfe avatar for a whole year.

If it wins you can use it for life. Though to see your Balfe avatar for a month ;)

Oppenheimer or Flower Moon I reckon. Maybe Barbie based on how spectacularly well the movie has been received.

Because it's not about how good the score is, and we all know that. And I don't think DoD particularly deserves it. I'd love Powell to get it for Migration.

It would be a sad state of affairs if those were the nominations, but then again I've gotten used to the Academy nominating lesser scores in the last few years.

RUSTIN is great, that's really the only one I'd been down with. 

46 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Oppenheimer or Flower Moon I reckon. Maybe Barbie based on how spectacularly well the movie has been received.

Is the Flower Moon score any good? It seems like it has a nice shot at a nomination, even though it will be posthumous (IIRC Robertson died a while before the movie came out). Prestige director + prestige movie + it will obviously be nominated for lots of other awards.

Absolutely no idea. But the fact that I haven't heard it speaks to what I think about the nominations process. If prestige surrounds the movie, it gets attention. If there's something unusual about the composer or the score, brownie points.

Not going to reveal mine yet, as I'm still working on the top 10 of the year. But I can say as much that of all the titles mentioned in this thread, only a few are contenders -- THE CREATOR, RUSTIN, maybe SALTBURN and INDY V.

Oppenheimer will win Best Pic & Best Score at least (the latter of which should go to Indy, but such as it always is).

I'll go out on a limb and predict the Academy splits the baby (I tried to work in a third idiom), snubs Nolan and gives Greta Gerwig best Director.

I hope that Paul Giamatti gets an Oscar™ nod, for THE HOLDOVERS, but I really want Jeffrey Wright to win, for AMERICAN FICTION.

19 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Oppenheimer will win Best Pic & Best Score at least (the latter of which should go to Indy, but such as it always is).

I'll go out on a limb and predict the Academy splits the baby (I tried to work in a third idiom), snubs Nolan and gives Greta Gerwig best Director.

OPPENHEIMER will be nominated for:

Best Picture

Best Actor (Murphy: a shoo-in)

Best Supporting Actor (Downey Jr)

Best Supporting Actor (Clarke)

Best Supporting Actress (Pugh)

Best Director

Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Original Score

Best Editing

Best Cinematography

Best Costume Design

Best Art Direction

Apparently, it has not made the long list for Best Special Effects.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Best Supporting Actor (Clarke)

Best Supporting Actress (Pugh)

Not sure about the double nomination in the Supporting Actor category, but I'd be even more surprised if Florence Pugh were to get the Supporting Actress nomination in place of Emily Blunt...

JW will probably get a courtesy nod but his only chance of winning is if the academy decide to throw out all of their customs from the last decade to award Williams with a 'well done for Indy' award.

If we go strictly by convention Oppenheimer probably has it in the bag.

"best animation" would make sense to me, but does that include specifically how you integrate live acton and animation together? i don't know. maybe yes, other live action elements famously have to be digitally integrated too (like infamously with the fake looking live action elements in revenge of the sith, or more succesfuly with integrating live action elements in mad max)

the score oscars of course will suck ass

My thinking years ago was to have 3 or 4 best picture winners so that you avoid one movie being able to claim they're the best and hogging all of the limelight and perhaps making it a bit less political. But the academy wouldn't like that; they need an actual winner.

Shirtlists for Scores & Songs

Music (Original Score)

American Fiction
American Symphony
Barbie
The Boy and the Heron
The Color Purple
Elemental
The Holdovers
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Killers of the Flower Moon
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
Saltburn
Society of the Snow
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Zone of Interest

Music (Original Song)

"It Never Went Away" from American Symphony
"Dear Alien (Who Art In Heaven)" from Asteroid City
"Dance The Night" from Barbie
"I'm Just Ken" from Barbie
"What Was I Made For?" from Barbie
"Keep It Movin" from The Color Purple
"(Superpower) I" from The Color Purple
"The Fire Inside" from Flamin' Hot
"High Life" from Flora and Son
"Meet In The Middle" from Flora and Son
"Can't Catch Me Now" from The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
"Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)" from Killers of the Flower Moon
"Quiet Eyes" from Past Lives
"Road To Freedom" from Rustin
"Am I Dreaming" from Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

I don't get the mention for Anerican Symphony at score because it's doesn't have any score in it (only diegetic)

I reckon Williams might need a bit of luck to be nominated, given plenty of competition from serious/oscar bait films.

Song-wise, I really like What Was I Made For (not a fan of Eilish otherwise). If I went solely by who I'd love to see win an Oscar, it would be Dance The Night. Maybe its popularity and 'feel good' factor will count in its favour.

I like a good handful of Dua Lipa songs, but Dance the Night wasn’t one for me.  I do like almost all of Eilish’s stuff, though.  The Ken song was funny in the movie but not a very good song generally.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Looking at that list of nominated songs, I haven't seen a single one of those movies except Barbie!

I saw the Hungry Games one too.  Unfortunately, the songs were just functional.  The score seemed decent though, which is rare for a JNH score (for me).

Such a disappointing list, but then again 2023 wasn't exactly teeming with great scores, so I wasn't expecting anything that "wowed" me.

I mean, Barbie? Really? I barely remember anything about that score. Spiderverse is a bit too histrionic for my tastes, combining about 45 different musical genres in a single cue, and I'm not a fan of the way it is integrated with the numerous pop/rap songs... But overall not a bad score.

Elemental and Indy might be nominated because the Academy has a rule that, every year, Thomas Newman and/or John Williams must get at least one nomination each. But these movies weren't beloved by critics, which may complicate things a bit.

Some stuff is in there only because their movies are Oscar bait (Killers of the Flower Moon, The Color Purple, etc) but I have no idea if their scores is any good.

And we all know Oppenheimer will win. It's by far the easiest bet of this year's Oscars.

Very disappointed Naoki Sato’s Godzilla Minus One is not on that list.

DOD is one of Williams weaker efforts and really not Oscar worthy. Sometimes I feel he’s nominated as an apology for past scores that deserved an Oscar but didn’t win.

The only interesting thing about the Barbie score was its integration of a few of the pop songs, imo.  It was nice enough but didn’t really leave an imprint on me otherwise. That and Indy are all I’ve heard from that list so far.

2 minutes ago, Ollie said:

DOD is one of Williams weaker efforts and really not Oscar worthy. Sometimes I feel he’s nominated as an apology for past scores that deserved an Oscar but didn’t win.

You can't think of it that way.  The score isn't being compared against his prior work.  It's being compared against the other scores for new movies that came out in 2023.  Massive difference.

Yep. Literally the only things I remember about the Basbie score is how they adapted the Dance the Night song into a military march for the Mattel headquarters and some uninteresting and generic Thomas Newman-ish piano and strings for the endless dull monologues at the end

Can't remember anything about the Eilish song and I'm Just Ken was just interminable and painfully unfunny. By the end of it I was begging for it to end. Of course, the next Wokescars ceremony will have a very long performance of that song by Reynolds himself.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

a very long performance of that song by Reynolds himself.

Did you just conflate Ryan Gosling with Ryan Reynolds?

Mostly predictable choices. I wouldn't have included most of them, but happy to see Hisaishi's score there amongst others.

I created a quick playlist including one track of each score in case anyone wants to check out how each of these sound. The Color Purple and The Zone of Interest haven't been released yet, so they're not here yet.

Is there even going to be a significant amount of score in the Color Purple musical movie?  Seems like that should be the one dropped off and replaced with The Boys In The Boat

On 14/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, Edmilson said:

Here's the thing: if the score to DoD is nominated for the Oscar, I'll use Lorne Balfe as my avatar for one month. And if it somehow wins, I'll use the Balfe avatar for a whole year.

I like you, Edmilson, so it’d be a crying shame if I had to (regretfully, unwillingly) block you for a month so I don’t have to see Boasty “I slaved for a year and went to all kinds of trouble to hire half of Europe to play my shitty music” McBoastface when I browse the forum. A real shame, because I think the odds JW gets nominated are well better than even.