Why did John Williams never have a cameo in a Spielberg movie?

JTN

I thought that he had a brief cameo in Sabrina as the pianist, but I could be wrong.  

In terms of SS, notice that he does put himself in the movies either--I don't think that it is his thing.  

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I thought that he had a brief cameo in Sabrina as the pianist, but I could be wrong.  

In terms of SS, notice that he does put himself in the movies either--I don't think that it is his thing.  

He did put himself in the orchestra for 1941 sessions...

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

According to screenrant Spielberg's also in Raider's, Jurassic Park and The Lost World. 

He's supposed to be vaguely reflected in the television screen at the end of THE LOST WORLD, but I've never been able to see it, despite pausing and whatnot. No idea about RAIDERS and JURASSIC PARK.

As for Williams never appearing in a Spielberg film, that's a good question. I think he's too humble for it. As far as I know, he's only ever appeared in three fictional film and TV entries -- THE RISE OF SKYWALKER, STACCATO and supposedly the Franklin Schaffner-directed episode "The Right Hand Man" of PLAYHOUSE 90, which I've never been able to find.

I always imagine JW plays John Hammond in JURASSIC PARK.  

I’m sure Spielberg asked him to have a cameo many times over the decades, but he’s way too shy to do it. That’s why I was so surprised he did it for Abrams. 

Btw he’s always been Yoda to me in Empire Strikes Back.

19 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I read this as Toothless.  Now that would be a sight to see! :lol:

John Williams cameoing in a movie scored by John Powell? Well, it's the least he could do after helping him with Solo :lol:

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

John Williams cameoing in a movie scored by John Powell? Well, it's the least he could do after helping him with Solo :lol:

The real question is, what's Toothless doing in London?

1 hour ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

The real question is, what's Toothless doing in London?

Arranging Jaws.

16 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Has he had a cameo in any movie besides Rise of Skywalker?

There's also this Blown Away kinda cameo:

Just now, Brando said:

I can post it again later but JW has an unintentional voice cameo in the rear soundtrack channels of The Last Crusade at the very end of the motorcycle chase.

Okay...

38 minutes ago, Brando said:

I can post it again later but JW has an unintentional voice cameo in the rear soundtrack channels of The Last Crusade at the very end of the motorcycle chase.

Here it is:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15256-indiana-jones-unreleased-music-resource/&do=findComment&comment=1931931

18 hours ago, Thor said:

He's supposed to be vaguely reflected in the television screen at the end of THE LOST WORLD, but I've never been able to see it, despite pausing and whatnot. No idea about RAIDERS and JURASSIC PARK.

Apparently he's this guy in Jurassic Park - 

steven-spielberg-cameo-in-jurassic-park-

For Raider's he's supposed to be seen in the background somewhere when Sallah is asking the Nazis if they want water, just before Indy finds Marion, but they don't have a picture for that one and Google doesn't bring anything up so take it with a grain of salt. 

As for Spielberg’s cameos, he has a couple of  involuntary ones in DUEL.

IMG_0139.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg

SS: Hey, Johnny, do you want a cameo in our next gig? You could play an alien called E.T.

JW: Thanks, Stevie baby, but I’m already playing Yoda in George’s film. 

The greatest cameo/homage-missed opportunity for Spielberg-Williams was Jurassic Park.

Hammond could have said that the mr DND music was temporary and that they got John Williams to write a march or something...

16 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The greatest cameo/homage-missed opportunity for Spielberg-Williams was Jurassic Park.

Hammond could have said that the mr DND music was temporary and that they got John Williams to write a march or something...

Williams could have played the on-screen Hammond in that video and composed & performed the march on the spot.

23 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

"We spared no expense, we're in talks to get the top film composer in the industry to score the animation, John Williams played a sort of March for me on the piano at his house"

A missed opportunity, for sure. There were plenty of times when he could have appeared just like Bernard Herrmann did in Hitchcock’s The Man who knew too much. The Obi-Wan Club scene at the beginning of Temple of Doom was a possible one. Either playing the piano or conducting the band.

On 7/3/2024 at 4:29 AM, Arnaud2 said:

A missed opportunity, for sure. There were plenty of times when he could have appeared just like Bernard Herrmann did in Hitchcock’s The Man who knew too much. The Obi-Wan Club scene at the beginning of Temple of Doom was a possible one. Either playing the piano or conducting the band.

Or just be in any of the films, as an extra would’ve been fun. 

5 hours ago, pete said:

Is it just me that finds the idea of doing a cameo stranger than not doing a cameo? 

Personally I don't mind cameos if they're not intrusive to the film. 

For example I don't mind Dan Ackroyds cameo in Temple of Doom as the film doesn't focus on him and highlights that it's him, allowing him to use a very fake British accent and shooting from a distance that the audience might not notice who it is. 

Whereas Williams cameo in TROS momentarily grinds the film to a halt and focuses on him, by not only holding on him but the props around Williams are also references to the films he's scored. Which is primarily in service of the meta of having him there. That the cool factor took president instead of narrative of the film. 

24 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Personally I don't mind cameos if they're not intrusive to the film. 

For example I don't mind Dan Ackroyds cameo in Temple of Doom as the film doesn't focus on him and highlights that it's him, allowing him to use a very fake British accent and shooting from a distance that the audience might not notice who it is. 

Whereas Williams cameo in TROS momentarily grinds the film to a halt and focuses on him, by not only holding on him but the props around Williams are also references to the films he's scored. Which is primarily in service of the meta of having him there. That the cool factor took prescient instead of narrative of the film. 

TBF isn't Williams the bartender or whatever? So basically the same level as "no droids", "want some Jawa juice", "wanna buy some death sticks"?

Same as Ahmed Best and Anthony Daniels in AOTC, in fact their screentime might be pretty close to being the same.

Just now, Faleel said:

TBF isn't Williams the bartender or whatever? So basically the same level as "no droids", "want some Jawa juice", "wanna buy some death sticks"?

Not really. With TROS the camera zooms in and hangs on him, if even for a moment, with the props that surround him all in reference to the films he's been Oscar nominated for as highlighted in this video - 

With say the "no droids", "Jawa Juice" and "Death Sticks" these aren't cameos, especially as they aren't drawing attention to who is delivering the line. In the case of Wuher he was portrayed by an British actor but was dubbed over for the film, so not a cameo. Flo is voiced by an Australian actress that isn't drawing attention to who is voicing her and sure some of the audience might recognise Elan Sel'Sabagno as Mouse from the Matrix but it's not heavy handed in drawing attention to him. 

You could of cited Anthony Daniels and Ahmed Bests cameos in that bar scene from AOTC instead, which I would say is more an par with Williams in TROS 

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Not really. With TROS the camera zooms in and hangs on him, if even for a moment, with the props that surround him all in reference to the films he's been Oscar nominated for as highlighted in this video - 

With say the "no droids", "Jawa Juice" and "Death Sticks" these aren't cameos, especially as they aren't drawing attention to who is delivering the line. In the case of Wuher he was portrayed by an British actor but was dubbed over for the film, so not a cameo. Flo is voiced by an Australian actress that isn't drawing attention to who is voicing her and sure some of the audience might recognise Elan Sel'Sabagno as Mouse from the Matrix but it's not heavy handed in drawing attention to him. 

You could of cited Anthony Daniels and Ahmed Bests cameos in that bar scene from AOTC instead, which I would say is more an par with Williams in TROS 

My point was that he is the bartender/possible owner of the establishment, so it would make sense to focus on him.

6 hours ago, Faleel said:

I'd definitely buy some Jaws juice from JW!

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

My point was that he is the bartender/possible owner of the establishment, so it would make sense to focus on him.

Oh right sorry, I think for me in the case of Williams cameo it wasn't necessary to draw attention to him even if he is the bartender, that he could easily have been in the background as the group move through the bar and not focus on him with the extra effort of the props, it's more the meta and pandering that I find distracting whereas the other characters you highlighted are part of the world and there isn't emphasis on who's playing them and winking at the audience going look look.